Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Does this pic show a bushing problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does this pic show a bushing problem?

Take a look at this and I am looking for opinions on this drivers side bushing or balljoint at the top of the steering knuckle. It looks like it is deformed. Could this cause a noise or vibration?
Attached Thumbnails Does this pic show a bushing problem?-problems-012.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the rubber seperated from the metal at that spot, or is that just a defect(thick spot) in the rubber?

Any grease leaking out from that spot?

If it's just a defect(thick spot) in the rubber, your still good-to-go!

That's just the boot, it shouldn't have anything to do with a noise or vibration.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 06-06-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, I will try to look underneath the boot then to see. I am just looking for a problem.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that an original or replacement ball joint? The bump you're referring to is a "bleed" for grease, when the ball joint is greased during routine maintenance.

However, OE ball joints weren't greaseable, so I'd be surprised if the OE joints had these "bleeds" as part of the boot.

If this is a replacement ball joint, the boot should appear a little "puffier", as in "filled with grease".... If this indeed was a replacement joint, and never greased during it's lifetime, that could be part of your problem, as it's wearing faster than it should, due to lack of lube.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That little bump is a puckered place in the rubber boot. There is no grease fittings on my balljoints at the top. On both sides the rubber boot are not filled out at all.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

That is a defect, but as long as no grease is coming out it should be ok. I will be replacing my uppers(my uppers have never been done in 150k, the lower fronts and rears have been done twice-once by chevy and once by me after my wife curbed my car) soon along with my shocks. I'll post how it goes.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevygirl
Take a look at this and I am looking for opinions on this drivers side bushing or balljoint at the top of the steering knuckle. It looks like it is deformed. Could this cause a noise or vibration?
I take it that you're performing preventive inspection/maintenance. If so, I agree with the rest that you'll be okay.

If there's currently a strange noise and/or vibration from that area, then I'd look closer at other suspension items around that area.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am trying to diagnosis a steering wheel shimmy plus looseness going over bumps. I have just looking for a problem. It is not the tires 3 sets have been tried so I am looking elsewhere.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevygirl
I am trying to diagnosis a steering wheel shimmy plus looseness going over bumps. I have just looking for a problem. It is not the tires 3 sets have been tried so I am looking elsewhere.
How do your tie rod ends look? Usually bump steer is due to worn out tie rod ends - outter or inner or both.