Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

GM discontinued axle stopper bushing??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

I called Chevrolet today to order new bump stops, I was told they are discontinued and no one in the country has any. Also someone above said the SS bump stops are rubber... one of mine is falling apart and is foam inside.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ironhead
Find a better dealer or buy online.

GM part number 10164173

Oh and BTW....

That part is commonly called a bump stop.

Compressing a shock by hand will not give a real indication of how "stiff" it is. You may be able to tell if it is degassed but no way are you going to be able to compress it quickly enough to get a feel for the valving.

You should be able to squeeze the stock springs a bit by hand. They're only ~115 lb/in.

do you have the v6 part number, i would rather have a shorter one than the disentigrated one I have now
Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
E.S. #9.9137

And they're 3/8" shorter than stock bumpstops, and about $25 a pair.

To mount them you either have to trim the E.S. bumpstop where the metal lip sticks down into the factory Bumpstop recessed area, or cut the metal lip off.
thanks for that after looking at them they look just like the stock ones, I may just end up with those. pretty cheap too like 18 bux from e.s.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
do you have the v6 part number, i would rather have a shorter one than the disentigrated one I have now
V6 and Z28 are the same part number.

Don't be fooled by the length / height on these. These stops are a sort of foam rubber. They are much softer, more progressive and much more forgiving than a poly stop.

I never even feel them and believe me, I know from looking at the axle pad and stop that I get into them a lot.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:23 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97knightrider
Just got this email back! SHIIT! what the hell do we do? This would be a great time for a fabricator to take advantage of the current situation.

Part number 10164173 is currently on backorder with GM and GM does not have an ETA for the part to be released off backorder. We can cancel your order or we can continue to wait for the part to arrive to us and ship the order at that time.

Please email us your decision.

Once the part has be released off of backorder we would no longer be able to cancel the order.
Thank you Jason,

www.GmPartsDirect.com
who would have guessed???
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't be fooled by the length / height on these. These stops are a sort of foam rubber. They are much softer, more progressive and much more forgiving than a poly stop.

I never even feel them and believe me, I know from looking at the axle pad and stop that I get into them a lot.
I totally agree, but it does you no good if you can't get them.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for that part number Ironhead, went by chevrolet today and that is a good number and they are available.

So guys if you need them and are having trouble getting them I went to Young Chevrolet in Dallas and they did not have them in stock but multiple dealers in and around dallas through oklahoma showed them in stock, well most dealers had only one of them but they can be had is the point, whoever you chose to deal with can order them up and get you a pair.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:31 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I was also told that a few dealers in MD showed 1 in stock, but I never checked with them to see if the actually had them. Makes me wonder if the really have them or if the "system" just shows they have one. Why would several dealers inventory show they have 1 only?
Old 07-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pjb
I was also told that a few dealers in MD showed 1 in stock, but I never checked with them to see if the actually had them. Makes me wonder if the really have them or if the "system" just shows they have one. Why would several dealers inventory show they have 1 only?
You are exactly right, gm does this with a lot of parts. It is a way to get the customer in, and give them an alternative route. Like for example buying a new car.

Quick Reply: GM discontinued axle stopper bushing??