Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

CTS-V Brake Install w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the pin kit 89047711 be the same one to use with the six piston calipers?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kornfreak, are you trying to put the 4 piston brembos on a z06? I am not sure if that will work, the z06 brakes on an f-body requires brackets whereas the cts-v brembos do not.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

would i need to use the Z51 brakets maybe? and yeah i would like to!

J
Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still have my 4 piston set of CTSV calipers. What would roughly be the performance difference between the two? I've also been doing some research on 2010 camaro brakes for the rear of an fbody with a little mixed results.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Kornfreak, I have no idea how to make the cts-v calipers work on a z06...it would have to be the reverse of the brackets that are required to run a z06 caliper on a f-body...

Beaflag, which two calipers are you comparing? The cts-v 4 piston vs the 2010 camaro 4-piston? If so, as far as I know, they are the same caliper but with different mounting screw holes. Also if you are trying to get the rears to work, the cts-v rears work with brackets from kore3
Old 10-30-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about we purpose a GP to Kore3 for a rear bracket to run the CTS-V brembos on the rear?? I think we can easily get 20+ in a GP if the price is right!
Old 10-31-2010, 04:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper
How about we purpose a GP to Kore3 for a rear bracket to run the CTS-V brembos on the rear?? I think we can easily get 20+ in a GP if the price is right!
I am definitely down for this!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be in too.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Won't work due to the design of our cars.

You can only use fixed rear calipers on cars with IRS or non c-clip axles. If you install fixed calipers on a c-clip axle (10 bolt, 12 bolt, 8.8, ect) you will experience constant pad knockback, which can be felt to the driver as a sinking pedal after the car goes around a corner.

If you notice the new Mustang GT with the Brembo package only comes with Brembos in the front, not the back...same thing with the GT500. It just won't work.

However, if you have a Ford 9" (no c-clips, press on bearings) then you can successfully use fixed calipers on your rear axle.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What about on a MWC rear end?

I've seen rear c6 z06 calipers on a red ws6 in the wheels section. This was done with a Kore3 bracket and a strange 12 bolt.

Also, it's been mentioned a few pages back in this thread that Kore3 has made the bracket for fbodys before but it will cost a LOT of $$$. Nonetheless it's been done!

Personally, I only want them because those brakes will look killer behind the wheels I'm buying
Old 11-01-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Won't work due to the design of our cars.

You can only use fixed rear calipers on cars with IRS or non c-clip axles. If you install fixed calipers on a c-clip axle (10 bolt, 12 bolt, 8.8, ect) you will experience constant pad knockback, which can be felt to the driver as a sinking pedal after the car goes around a corner.

If you notice the new Mustang GT with the Brembo package only comes with Brembos in the front, not the back...same thing with the GT500. It just won't work.

However, if you have a Ford 9" (no c-clips, press on bearings) then you can successfully use fixed calipers on your rear axle.
You are right, although I was under the impression that using LCAs with rod ends would eliminate the knockback. Is that true?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Kore3 can make a custom bracket for the cs-v rears to fit on an f-body, they have done it once before. They mate it with a 13" rotor from a c4. But as I mentioned previously, cost is high and they only offer it in a 3-channel. So you can only run parking brake OR TCS, but not both. They do not list it on their website, but I talked with them a few months ago about it, you can email them or call them for more info.
Even with a GP, I doubt Kore3 will drop the price enough to make it attractive to enough ppl who are willing to drop that amount on just brackets, then you would also have to piece together the rest of the system.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about on a MWC rear end?

I've seen rear c6 z06 calipers on a red ws6 in the wheels section. This was done with a Kore3 bracket and a strange 12 bolt.

Also, it's been mentioned a few pages back in this thread that Kore3 has made the bracket for fbodys before but it will cost a LOT of $$$. Nonetheless it's been done!

Personally, I only want them because those brakes will look killer behind the wheels I'm buying
I agree...the brakes would look awesome...but its just not practical on a c-clip axle for any performance driving. If the car is just a cruiser/show car, then its not much of an issue, because there isn't going to be much force exterted on the rear axle. But if you ever intend to take a corner at speed, you will find out very quickly why its not reccommended at all.

As for the MWC rear end, since it a 9", it doesn't have c-clips. The axle bearings are pressed onto the axles and bolted into the housing. Therefore you should be able to run fixed calipers without a problem.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwikz28
You are right, although I was under the impression that using LCAs with rod ends would eliminate the knockback. Is that true?
Unfortunately, no. The spherical rod end LCA's help with axle control and wheel hop, but they do not help with pad knockback. The knockback is the direct result of the axle sliding inwards and outwards in the axle tube. There is always a certain amount of in/out play in the axle, which is caused by the clearances between the c-clip in it's groove relative to the differental pinion shaft or paddle. Basically the c-clip prevents the axle from coming out while the diff pinion shaft prevents it from coming too far inwards, and this design is where the endplay originates.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree...the brakes would look awesome...but its just not practical on a c-clip axle for any performance driving. If the car is just a cruiser/show car, then its not much of an issue, because there isn't going to be much force exterted on the rear axle. But if you ever intend to take a corner at speed, you will find out very quickly why its not reccommended at all.

As for the MWC rear end, since it a 9", it doesn't have c-clips. The axle bearings are pressed onto the axles and bolted into the housing. Therefore you should be able to run fixed calipers without a problem.
Man, I could just hug you right now

So, if I went with the MWC 9", bought the Kore3 bracket to fit the rear cts-v brembos, send the bracket to MWC to put it all together.....this could work? Without any braking problems, good appearance and maybe a performance gain to boot?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man, I could just hug you right now

So, if I went with the MWC 9", bought the Kore3 bracket to fit the rear cts-v brembos, send the bracket to MWC to put it all together.....this could work? Without any braking problems, good appearance and maybe a performance gain to boot?
Haha

Based on what you just listed, yes, it should work. You'd should have no performance issues, a measureable performance gain, and of course great appearance!! The main issue would be getting the Kore3 bracket adapted to the MWC 9" with the proper spacing and offset for caliper to rotor fitment. If MWC is willing to set up the brackets for you though, I'd say go for it!! That would be awesome, a 9" with Brembos is the ultimate setup!!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha

Based on what you just listed, yes, it should work. You'd should have no performance issues, a measureable performance gain, and of course great appearance!! The main issue would be getting the Kore3 bracket adapted to the MWC 9" with the proper spacing and offset for caliper to rotor fitment. If MWC is willing to set up the brackets for you though, I'd say go for it!! That would be awesome, a 9" with Brembos is the ultimate setup!!
Sounds great, I guess the only question is do I want the 4 piston brembos or the new cts-v/c6 z06 calipers now?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds great, I guess the only question is do I want the 4 piston brembos or the new cts-v/c6 z06 calipers now?
I guess that depends on your Budget!!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess that depends on your Budget!!
I'm sure the 4 pistons are more than enough and will be a HUGE step up from the stock calipers. I can't imagine how much nicer it will be!!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure the 4 pistons are more than enough and will be a HUGE step up from the stock calipers. I can't imagine how much nicer it will be!!
Definitely.

The stock aluminum PBR's on 12" vented rotors are excellent as far as rear brake setups go, but its hard to argue with 4 piston Brembos!! The main difference will be better brake pedal feel (less caliper deflection) and better resistance to brake fade under severe track conditions. And of course, looks!!

Quick Reply: CTS-V Brake Install w/ Pics