Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni/Strano Install Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'm sure this will make people more confident in their mods.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Good Morning! Finally got moved into our new house and had a garage to install my Koni 4/4's and Strano Springs. The install went very well, I did it by myself. The rear took about two hours and the front took about two hours as well, (a little over 1 hour for each side in the front).

I had never done suspension work before and this install was pretty simple. I was amazed at how simple our suspension works. I used the write up on ls1howto.com and it guided me perfectly. The main reason for posting this up is because I haven't seen someone post up a video before that shows highlights of a Shock/Spring install and I thought it would shed some light on the install for people who have never done something like this or ever thought about doing the install themselves. There are sooo many people on here asking how much it is to have a shop install springs and shocks because they are afraid they can't do it themselves.

You can do it! I'm a complete Noobie and I thought I rocked this install. Anywho, without further ado, the install...

P.S. I'd like to personally thank Sam Strano for great customer service. I'd also like to thank everyone on this site who have helped me along the way. God Bless...

Install Video ... http://videos.streetfire.net/video/K...all_688318.htm

*Update* Just did a mini video of my ride and review of the installed springs and konis, enjoy guys...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/K...and_689705.htm
Cool video!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I installed mine I just bought new shock tops from napa... Then you do not need a spring compressor, and you also have new shock tops
Old 12-31-2009, 03:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
When I installed mine I just bought new shock tops from napa... Then you do not need a spring compressor, and you also have new shock tops
Ahhh, did you also get new spring seat isolators for the front shocks? The go on the spring perch and the spring sits on those... you need them and they don't come with any new shocks. Which means you either have new ones, need to take your stock stuff apart to get 'em, or didn't use them (and you need to).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-31-2009, 06:10 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ThoR294
Is it possible to get the top mount all the way down on the shock shaft, before tightening the top shock nut, without compressing the spring some? I didn't think so. If not, that will give the banging noise people hear when they don't do it right the first time. And, of course, Sam is right on with his comment above.

Maybe, if you left the isolator out at the bottom, the top mount would slide all the way down on the shock shaft with shorter lowering springs. But, as Sam alluded to, you don't want it that way. Sounds like there are a couple of reasons you may need to redo it.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Without the lower isolator/spacer the spring will sit lower, and he might have gotten the top nut tight enough without a compressing the spring---it's close since the spring is so much shorter than stock.

But that lower isolator keeps the spring square on the perch. Not having is makes the spring bow, which isn't good for the spring or the shock guides.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-31-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

I see where the isolator is now. FML. god damnit I gotta do it ALL OVER AGAIN son of a ******* bitch. You know, it would be nice if the $900 shocks came with some instructions instead of a bunch of lame *** pictures that do nothing haha

the new tops were ~$50 each and the bottom isolators are ~$15 each. not too bad

Last edited by ThoR294; 12-31-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:08 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

you obviously didn't talk to Sam before you did it, and you should have. Besides avoiding your mistake, he gives some other good information about the installation and setup. Depending on what type of top mounts you got, they might not be as good as the originals. Probably could have saved yourself a hundred bucks. not trying to insult you, just trying to make future readers aware. Small price to pay for a lesson learned. You'll laugh about it when you get done.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

my strut tops were shot. had a loud knock cause one was gone. I dont think I would want 13 year old rubber isolators supporting my $800 konis. I talked to him about the adjustments, not the install. that was just my mistake rushing to get my car out of the garage at my job before they closed

also, that washer that comes with the konis... Where does that go?

Last edited by ThoR294; 12-31-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:55 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

you obviously didn't talk to Sam before you did it, and you should have.

call him.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

I did talk to Sam. I was curious about the adjustment. by the time I got everything apart it was around 6pm and I figured he was out of his office or something . Im getting new isolators on monday and I will probably give him a call then
Old 01-01-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

First off between talking with Sam, ls1howto.com, and this video I felt confident I could do this install. But the video is missing a couple of key steps.

1. You CAN remove the bolts and loosen the ABS hardware that holds the brake assembly in place. Just be careful and there's enough play in the brake lines to move the assemby & get at the torx bolts.

2. The dissemble and reassemble of the shock and spring is a vital step. On the stock set up there isn't a washer in the assembly but in the Koni set up it's a vital component that goes between the top of the shock and the top isolator that some guys have missed as I've followed posts in this thread & others. Also all the nessesary components from the old DeCarbon set up needed swaped over to the Koni/Strano set up such as the lower isolator and upper one as well. Then when re assembling the shock and spring make sure everything is alinged & squared properly before decompressing the new spring and tightening the top nut.

While this video did help and I thank the OP for taking the time to make it there are a couple of steps I would like to have seen in it as I stated above.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:42 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

its a cool video for sure, but doesn't even come close to being a step by step how-to. you better have a lot more info before you get started.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pjb
its a cool video for sure, but doesn't even come close to being a step by step how-to. you better have a lot more info before you get started.
Just so everybody knows, I purposely left out some certain steps as to not give away a lot of good info you can only get from Sam. With watching this video you also need to call Sam to get some inside key steps only he can give. I am not going to give away all of the inside steps you get when you talk to sam, aka shock settings/ ways he likes to exactly put the set up and hardware. This video merely highlights a few points in the install so you can see it in action compared to reading a bunch of words on a piece of paper.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome video man, this should be a sticky for sure. I linked it over on FTV6 for anyone there that may be interested in attempting to do it at home as well. Again, great video guide man.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Just so everybody knows, I purposely left out some certain steps as to not give away a lot of good info you can only get from Sam. With watching this video you also need to call Sam to get some inside key steps only he can give. I am not going to give away all of the inside steps you get when you talk to sam, aka shock settings/ ways he likes to exactly put the set up and hardware. This video merely highlights a few points in the install so you can see it in action compared to reading a bunch of words on a piece of paper.
We're all Sam Strano's slaves...
Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
We're all Sam Strano's slaves...
Sam provides much more service then he gets.

He shouldn't be expected to provide the same level of service to those that would drain his info and run somewhere else to buy in hopes of saving a dollar. His service and support is what sets him apart from the rest, and his prices are very competetive to begin with. He's not a salesman that tells you what he thinks you want to hear, but a proven expert that sets you straight and tells you what you need to hear. That doesn't sit well with some folks but I admire Sam for sticking to his principles, even if he could make more money selling people what they think they need.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

I noticed you just bought the strano springs and koni 4/4 shocks.. Ive read on here that its also necessary to get an adjustable panhard bar? and maybe some kind of relocation brackets? (dont remember their exact name) Did you have any issues by not buyin either of those?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

if you don't get the adjustable PHB your rear axle may be off center side-to-side.
the relocation brackets can help correct the LCA angle and improve traction.
how much you need each may vary from car to car.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by will8908
I noticed you just bought the strano springs and koni 4/4 shocks.. Ive read on here that its also necessary to get an adjustable panhard bar? and maybe some kind of relocation brackets? (dont remember their exact name) Did you have any issues by not buyin either of those?
I did not need to buy a panhard bar because my rear end shifted so minimally that it was barely measurable. All f-body cars are different, and you may lower your car and have your rear shift quite a bit. It's on a case to case basis.

Relocation Brackets and Lower Control arms are used by cars that are have traction issues. I have no traction issues so I didn't get them. If I start road racing or drag racing and feel my car is having traction issues I would probably upgrade these items, but for my driving habits and just around town they are of no use to me.

Quick Reply: Koni/Strano Install Video