Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

clutch and brake fluid flushes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch and brake fluid flushes?

My SS is a 1999 and only has 30k on it but I have never had the brake fluid flushed. The clutch fluid was flushed back when Rapid Motorsports did my RAM clutch, about 4 yrs ago. How often should these fluids be replaced and with what are you replacing them with? My Ram is the 6130 VDS with adjustable master cylinder; so I don't want to just take it anywhere for the clutch fluid flush. I will have to find a shop (and we have none) that knows the quirks of the LS1 hydraulic clutch system and the adjustable master cylinder; anyone know of such a shop in Ohio?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm...nobody has done these flushes?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I do mine about once every two years, or every year in my Camaro but I use it for racing. I guess when the pedal loses firmness you should probably flush the fluid. That and when it turns black it's probably a good idea

Can't comment on clutch fluid. My clutch is actually giving me trouble right now so I'd be interested in this answer as well.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99monguse
My SS is a 1999 and only has 30k on it but I have never had the brake fluid flushed. The clutch fluid was flushed back when Rapid Motorsports did my RAM clutch, about 4 yrs ago. How often should these fluids be replaced and with what are you replacing them with? My Ram is the 6130 VDS with adjustable master cylinder; so I don't want to just take it anywhere for the clutch fluid flush. I will have to find a shop (and we have none) that knows the quirks of the LS1 hydraulic clutch system and the adjustable master cylinder; anyone know of such a shop in Ohio?
Brake fluid is easy to flush. Generally you flush it when it gets dark or dirty. I'd say check it every 10K maybe? Not really a set mileage, depends on how hard you drive the car I'd say. Plus its easy to check.

I use a motiv power bleeder + ATE Blue http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=5&ModelID=2. You can use that motiv bleeder on many gm vehicles so its very useful.

I follow http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html for clutch care. Thats for basic maint, if you want a full flush you can buy an adapter for the motiv bleeder to bleed your clutch.

If you're going to just take it to a shop, not sure what you posted for?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

I've been using the Ranger method on my clutch fluid reservoir and it has worked wonders.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-and-cure.html
Old 06-30-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I posted because I don't have any shops around me that are proficient with LS1s and I don't want some mechanic telling me what he thinks; when I could have the advice of other LS1 owners that have done this and do this a=on a regular basis. Obviously if I don't have any shops that are LS1 trustworthy then I will have to do it myself...won't I
Old 06-30-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

For the clutch fluid, I have been replacing the fluid in the reservoir periodically, which seems to be the "Ranger" method. I've kept it clean and no problems for around 2 years now. And I definitely abuse it as I do high performance driving schools occasionally.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

By doing this "ranger" method do we have to bleed the clutch? In the video it looks like he completely emptied the resevoir and even wiped it out with a towel; wouldn't this introduce air into the system? I know when I have seen guys replace brake fluid they don't completely take all the fluid from the resevoir because then they would have to do a complete bleed.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

This method is not removing any fluid from the lines so no air should get introduced. I also wipe mine out and have not had an issues yet.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

I used to always have clutch issues and ended up blowing hydraulics like nobody's business, then I started the ranger method which is just removing dark fluid from the reservoir, wiping it clean, and putting fresh in. Haven't had a problem beside one time I let the fluid get too dark, but since then been problem free.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm going to try this ranger method today with some ATE blue.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I don't suggest you use anything expensive. I use prestone dot 4, but am planning on giving a good dot 3 another shot because switching it out. "Enough" could get expensive. It depends on how often you drive your car hard.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about GM fluid? Is it any good?
Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

If you do you need to get rid of your old fluid by actually bleeding, you really don't wanna just ADD a different type of fluid.

Also for fluids, just standard Prestone DOT4 will work fine, nothing special needed.

Which Clutch Fluid to Use?
You can’t go wrong by using the clutch fluid specified in your owner’s manual. That’s a GM-branded fluid. But note that GM now recommend Super DOT4 brake fluid for all Corvette clutches.

When considering alternative brands, keep in mind there is no magic fluid that prevents pedal woes. All fluids will degrade under aggressive driving and need changing regularly.

If you want an alternative to the GM-branded fluid, I’ve used Prestone brand with good results for eight years in three Z06s. That means, following the fluid change protocol with Prestone, I’ve had no clutch pedal issue. I am currently using Prestone DOT4 Synthetic in my 2006 Z06. But I have no reason to believe that my results would be different with any other good brand, so long as the protocol is followed.

If you’re running DOT3 fluid in the clutch, you ought to consider upgrading to DOT4, which is usually compatible with DOT3. But be sure to read the label on cans you’re considering. DOT4 brake fluid generally has higher dry and wet boiling points than DOT3. Given the minimal price difference between the two, it makes sense to use DOT4.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I was thinking about doing this method about 4-5 times. Until the fluid clears up. Still not a good idea?
Old 07-03-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

I was thinking about doing this method about 4-5 times. Until the fluid clears up. Still not a good idea?
Don't think it will hurt anything, as it is suppose to be compatible with other fluids from what I've read, up to you.

ATE® Super Blue (DOT 4) has a dry boiling point of 536F and a wet boiling point of 396F. ATE Super Blue is identical in specification to the ATE TYP 200 brake fluid.
ATE Super Blue is compatible and will mix with most DOT3, DOT4, or DOT 5.1 Fluids.

Quick Reply: clutch and brake fluid flushes?