Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering springs on stock shocks come in

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you go out with you friends, do you tell them you don't want anyone to bust your beans because you can't handle it? I doubt it. I think people just approach discussion differently when they are sitting in front of a computer. If you combine sportline springs with cut coils and stock shocks and say you like it, that's fine. Just don't expect everyone to give you a pat on the back or blow you.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28bryan
When you go out with you friends, do you tell them you don't want anyone to bust your beans because you can't handle it? I doubt it. I think people just approach discussion differently when they are sitting in front of a computer. If you combine sportline springs with cut coils and stock shocks and say you like it, that's fine. Just don't expect everyone to give you a pat on the back or blow you.
no doubt.. im just saying not everybody has the money to get shocks/springs at the same time. i have the money to get springs, but holding off till i can get some shocks just so i can knock it out at once. its just rough seeing this 4X4 look with nice looking rims.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
no doubt.. im just saying not everybody has the money to get shocks/springs at the same time. i have the money to get springs, but holding off till i can get some shocks just so i can knock it out at once. its just rough seeing this 4X4 look with nice looking rims.
I'd agree about not having the money except for the people that are camming the car and adding exhaust, and intakes, etc. etc. before buying a quality shock to put on the car. These cars have enough power stock but handle like crap. Personally, I'd rather go at the handling part before power. I added LTs before shocks but the car was at stock ride height and the decarbons weren't worn out at 60K.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Looking at your sig, I guess so. I didn't even know Walmart made parts for our car. You should have gotten the Walmart cam
Old 06-25-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

dont get me wrong, i might save and get springs/shocks done at the same time. looking into some tokico shocks. but i know there are alot of people that run lowering springs on stock shocks and have no problems. i mean if people are running lowering spring and stock shocks and dont rides fine, then why would u blast them?
So if someone claims that their bone stock engine with a huge cam and no tune runs "fine", would you not try and help them understand that its actually not running correctly?
Many many people don't know or understand how much greater the car becomes to drive with good shocks. I personally couldn't understand until I put konis on my car and now I wouldn't want another fbody without them. Everyone gets so defensive when we are just trying to help them understand how much better the car could be...
Old 06-25-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
If your car leaks and has "****" falling off you need to get it fixed.

It isn't a Cadillac but the car is not supposed to ride like ****. There is a way with quality dampers to dampen the springs and not ride like crap. BTW, I don't want my car to ride like most Cadillacs as they bounce and float; I bought Konis to adjust the shocks for a firm but compliant ride.
+1 about fixing stuff.... your car can be as good or bad as you want it to or treat it.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
I'd agree about not having the money except for the people that are camming the car and adding exhaust, and intakes, etc. etc. before buying a quality shock to put on the car. These cars have enough power stock but handle like crap. Personally, I'd rather go at the handling part before power. I added LTs before shocks but the car was at stock ride height and the decarbons weren't worn out at 60K.

true that man. some people want to do all appearance mods first, then power, then suspension etc etc..

as much as i would like to get rid of my 4X4 look i plan on going with duals. so i want to see how my clearance would be first before i add springs/shocks.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
So if someone claims that their bone stock engine with a huge cam and no tune runs "fine", would you not try and help them understand that its actually not running correctly?
Many many people don't know or understand how much greater the car becomes to drive with good shocks. I personally couldn't understand until I put konis on my car and now I wouldn't want another fbody without them. Everyone gets so defensive when we are just trying to help them understand how much better the car could be...

totally agree man. im also looking into tockico shocks.. how good are these?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

So the only choice for lowered cars are Koni's. No other shock will work well? This is what I keep reading here. I would like to do the hose mod in back and lower it the same in the front. I need to ride in a car with Koni's. What about JasonWW modified upper shock mount for the front.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99zconv
So the only choice for lowered cars are Koni's. No other shock will work well? This is what I keep reading here. I would like to do the hose mod in back and lower it the same in the front. I need to ride in a car with Koni's. What about JasonWW modified upper shock mount for the front.
Konis aren't the only shock out there. Anything that has ideal compression and rebound gets the job done. There's plenty of types out there, but most are way more expensive like Penske. KYBs can control a lot of lowering springs, but adjust both compression and rebound with one ****. You'll have to find a happy medium setting between both. Bilstien HDs and SLPs from what I hear can do an "ok" job at first, but eventually will wear down in a short period of time.

When you hear people mention that Konis ride too rough, I would seriously take that with a grain of salt and figure out if they had made the right adjustments. Typically they don't have them set right. Konis can run either too soft or be really stiff.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks z28bryan. I am going to have to find someone with Koni's. I really would like to experience them before spending the money.

Quick Reply: lowering springs on stock shocks come in