Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which Bilsteins??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Bilsteins??

Finally shedding the crappy Decarbons....I've driven an f body with the Bilsteins and want them....The question is, which set? I have BMR springs [the old ones]....Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

Either get Strano spec Bilsteins or 3rd gen rear Koni's. I recently bought 3rd gen rear koni's and they are a vast improvement over the standard HD rear Bilsteins.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

get the rear bilsteins for a 82-92 it has the better valving then the 93+
Old 06-23-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Go with the SLP valving its meant for lowered vehicles
Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SLP bilstiens on stock springs and they work pretty well. Once they wear out I'll be getting konis though.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LCplmarine98
Go with the SLP valving its meant for lowered vehicles
SLP's shocks were originally meant to go with their SLP springs (by SLP). Sam had mentioned SLP shock part numbers are identical to the HDs. Bilstien even states HDs are underdampened for lowering springs.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28bryan
SLP's shocks were originally meant to go with their SLP springs (by SLP). Sam had mentioned SLP shock part numbers are identical to the HDs. Bilstien even states HDs are underdampened for lowering springs.
Not to mention the SLP springs aren't that much of a lowering spring.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe it's just the rear shocks that are the same, not the fronts.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Ooops. My bad.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of springs rates are SLP Bilsteins meant for?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

300-400 range for the fronts.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I beleive it's up to 450 for the fronts.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Teching In

I have the factory SLP Bilstiens/SLP Eibach springs. THe ride is nice and it handles well. a few years back I upgraded to the Koni SA's, and the 3rd gen rears. No comparison. They ride slightly harsh, but the dampening quality of the koni's is far superior to the BIlstiens.

The cars limits increased dramatically, it is much more stable at high speed, and the overall control is much better with the Koni's - they are easily worth twice as much IMHO. If you want a silky smooth, buttery ride - get the Bilstiens. Otherwise don't be a fool, buy the Koni's - they're that much better.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I beleive it's up to 450 for the fronts.
Out of curiousity, is that limit claimed by SLP?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by kennerz
If you want a silky smooth, buttery ride - get the Bilstiens. Otherwise don't be a fool, buy the Koni's - they're that much better.
I couldn't agree more ... if you want to crash hard into every sharp bump - get Konis. Yep, they handle better at the extremities ... but you'll pay the price in everyday comfort.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Out of curiousity, is that limit claimed by SLP?
No, but considering that the springs they're designed to go with have about a 450 lb./in. spring rate up front I would assume that they would have the shock valving designed to handle that spring rate.

Yeah, I know, I committed the high crime of assuming.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I couldn't agree more ... if you want to crash hard into every sharp bump - get Konis. Yep, they handle better at the extremities ... but you'll pay the price in everyday comfort.
To be fair, that's a very, very minority opinion and has lot to do with other things like ride height and you know, where the shocks are actually set damping wise.

Not saying that Koni's might not be too firm for some like RevGTO, but overall 95% of the feedback isn't in agreement--in fact most find Koni's to ride better than stock, or other cheaper shocks where other things like stupid springs and so on aren't interfering.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by kennerz
I upgraded to the Koni SA's ... They ride slightly harsh, but the dampening quality of the koni's is far superior to the BIlstiens. If you want a silky smooth, buttery ride - get the Bilstiens.
I'm seconding his experience that Bilsteins offer a smoother ride; Konis are harsher. This is a point that's been made by many guys on this forum. For most on this board, the increased dampening capability of the Konis makes it worth it. But there is a trade-off, and people should be aware of it. Reading this forum indicates a significant percentage of Koni purchasers are surprised to discover this after they've installed them.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Lets use some logic and reasoning to come to some sort of conclusion to this...

Let me ask this.. is the compression on Koni SA's any stiffer than Bilstien HD's front/rear? If it's about the same, then I'll argue that Bilstiens can only be as comfortable or more comfortable shock than the Bilstiens.

In the end.. ride comfort is all personal taste. Though if something has the range of adjustment that covers a wide range of adjustment of rebound when the compression is fine, then I'd like to make the arguement that the range puts the shock's potential in one's good ride comfort zone. aka making it a more comfortable shock. My guess is half of the people here who said Konis ride was uncomfortable didn't take the time to tune them.

Some shocks move like crap in the tube. Like STI stock shocks in my 05 I used to have. They felt like the car was always trying to break the piston free of being stuck. This can also be a big factor in ride comfort. I'm assuming Bilstiens are the complete opposite of this due to their great build quality.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Lets use some logic and reasoning to come to some sort of conclusion to this...

Let me ask this.. is the compression on Koni SA's any stiffer than Bilstien HD's front/rear? If it's about the same, then I'll argue that Bilstiens can only be as comfortable or more comfortable shock than the Bilstiens.

In the end.. ride comfort is all personal taste. Though if something has the range of adjustment that covers a wide range of adjustment of rebound when the compression is fine, then I'd like to make the arguement that the range puts the shock's potential in one's good ride comfort zone. aka making it a more comfortable shock. My guess is half of the people here who said Konis ride was uncomfortable didn't take the time to tune them.

Some shocks move like crap in the tube. Like STI stock shocks in my 05 I used to have. They felt like the car was always trying to break the piston free of being stuck. This can also be a big factor in ride comfort. I'm assuming Bilstiens are the complete opposite of this due to their great build quality.
My guess is those people were subscribing to the 'stiffer is better' magazine rather than tuning the shocks and making them softer for a more compliant ride.

As far as Koni vs Bilstein compression I would be interested to hear as well. My guess is the Konis have more compression firmness, though.

Quick Reply: Which Bilsteins??