Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering the front only? Couple Q's..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lowering the front only? Couple Q's..

I'm looking into lowering the front of my car only, I really like the stance in the back with the heater hose mod, but not the front since it actually sits higher than the back and has wheel wells that could hide hondas. Here is my current setup:
SLP bilstiens all 4
Stock WS6 springs
Heater hose mod in the back

Now, I'm thinking BMR springs since I have heard good things about them, and they sell only front and back pairs as well as full sets. The drop is exactly what I am looking for as well. How would the car handle with only front lowering springs? Should I just put my isolator back in and run a full matched set, as this would probably keep me at the same height in the back?

Also, moving onto the shocks, would they work ok with the BMRs? I don't have the budget right now for koni's, but I am also interested in getting some of the "slam" out of the rear end when I hit a bump, the front feels good but the back it bone jarring. So maybe a different rear shock if the fronts would be ok? What would you guy suggest?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I'm looking into lowering the front of my car only, I really like the stance in the back with the heater hose mod, but not the front since it actually sits higher than the back and has wheel wells that could hide hondas. Here is my current setup:
SLP bilstiens all 4
Stock WS6 springs
Heater hose mod in the back

Now, I'm thinking BMR springs since I have heard good things about them, and they sell only front and back pairs as well as full sets. The drop is exactly what I am looking for as well. How would the car handle with only front lowering springs? Should I just put my isolator back in and run a full matched set, as this would probably keep me at the same height in the back?

Also, moving onto the shocks, would they work ok with the BMRs? I don't have the budget right now for koni's, but I am also interested in getting some of the "slam" out of the rear end when I hit a bump, the front feels good but the back it bone jarring. So maybe a different rear shock if the fronts would be ok? What would you guy suggest?
Your car is going to look really weird with that drop only in the front. I'd suggest just switching back to the isolators in the rear and running a full set of lowering springs of your choice.

My guess on your rearend is the SLP bilsteins, the valving isn't much different than the stock deCarbons.

Your ride will probably be OK at first on the Bilsteins, but will most likely deteriorate as the shocks wear.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You can do fronts only. You would be better off putting your isolator back in and running both front and rears. The bilstiens will work ok till you can upgrade to a better shock. I have the springs in stock and ready to ship.Give me a call if you have any questions.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
You can do fronts only. You would be better off putting your isolator back in and running both front and rears. The bilstiens will work ok till you can upgrade to a better shock. I have the springs in stock and ready to ship.Give me a call if you have any questions.
That is what I was thinking, just putting the isolator back in. I really want to upgrade at least the rear shock at the same time, as it is pretty easy to do and the back rides like crap. It handles very well it just has poor ride quality. Whats the average shipping time on your springs?

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Your car is going to look really weird with that drop only in the front. I'd suggest just switching back to the isolators in the rear and running a full set of lowering springs of your choice.
It actually only has about 1" of gap on the back right now, compared to 3"+ on the front. I think it would be about level with just the fronts, I'm more concerned with the ride and handling.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you car still has the rear bumpstop spacers on it remove them!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
If you car still has the rear bumpstop spacers on it remove them!
What would this do for me?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i lowered just the front of my car and i like how it sits and have gotten many compliments on it. my only regret is using eibach and kyb, but i'll fix that in the future.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
What would this do for me?
It'll give you 1/2" more suspension travel, before you contact the bump stops.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

hey next week im installing some edelbrock adj coilovers and ill have a front set of hotchkis springs for sale, lemme know if youre interested
Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up UMI Performance!

Hello
Another suggestion you can do is go with the heater hose mod in the rear. And then go with a coil over on the front (depending on what you use the vehicle the most for depends on the spring rate) but you will be able to set the ride height to your personal preference. And not only that as long as you get a good shock in the rear you will transfer weight a lot better as well. Below is a link to show you what UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...0c7gvpo1vvmtq3

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow there are so many options here, I need to figure out my budget for this before I decide what to do. I think I definitely want new rear shocks though, the ones I have are pretty harsh.

Quick Reply: Lowering the front only? Couple Q's..