Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sharing Pics of My Car at the SCCA National Tour

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just check out their websites. The pics on the top of the schedule are also links to their websites. You don't have to join the club to race, but you'll have to pay a little more for entry fee and some sort of "weekend membership" thing I think.

BTW, I updated my post while you were posting, read it again
Old 07-09-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good, I am not sure how I will like Auto X, but I do love Road America. That **** is addicting and I've only gone twice. Just hard to get out there and to be honest I would rather tow my car, then drive it on race tires.. I sold my other set of rims and tires which now that I look back at it was probably stupid.. haha
Old 07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be honest, my car is a trailer queen. My stock SS wheels carry my Wets.

Actually I like autocross better than open track days cause with autocross there is competition, there really isn't on open track days. Plus open track days are damn expensive.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

camber is when you adjust the tires in and out right? so -1 means tires pointing in or out? and i don't know what caster is? sorry for the dum ?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
camber is when you adjust the tires in and out right? so -1 means tires pointing in or out? and i don't know what caster is? sorry for the dum ?

Camber is the measurement of how far the top of the tire leans in (negative camber) or out (positive camber). Caster is the angle from perfectly vertical of the "line" that is made between the upper and lower ball joints. Caster positive caster means that the upper ball joint is positioned further reward than the lower ball joint. Positive caster is what helps the steering wheel return to center when you let go. It also gives that "on center" feeling and it helps to increase negative camber on the outside wheel when turning.

Here's a way in depth article about caster, camber and toe.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i remembered camber well because i would always call the kids in their civics "camber kids". They would cut the springs and had such bad negative camber... their tires would wear horribly haha.

i wish there was a place around me that did autoX
Old 07-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
i wish there was a place around me that did autoX
There is.

http://www.scca-nnjr.org/NNJR_Solo2/Solo.shtml

http://www.sjr-scca.org/solo.html

http://www.phillyscca.com/schedule/p...edule.htm#solo

http://www.nepa-scca.com/solo2schedule.html

FWIW - I'm originally from not very far from you (Lehigh Valley).

I've been to Flemington Speedway (if it's still there). Last went there not long after they paved it (probably 15 - 16 years ago now).
Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

its gone, its now a lowes and a longhorn.... for a while now my dad used to race at flemington speedway
Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks bud, I'll hit you up when I get a little bit more time and hopefully get out on the track when you are out there..
Old 07-11-2009, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Are those CCW wheels? They look perfect on your car.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep I run CCWheels.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Launching!

As it's been clearly stated by Major Lee Slow, if you are into F-bodies, you need to get out and try autocross. I've been doing it now for my 4th year and I've found everyone to be helpful, willing to tell you how to get set up, and make you feel welcome. I know I was pretty intimidated when I first started but also realized everyone had to feel the same when they started. FWIW, MLS is fast as I've ran with him at a few events.
As he said, it's really not the car in the beginning, it's about the driver. At this point for me, I'm the limiting factor in going faster and not my car.
MLS is dead on with the suspension recommendations, no need to repeat.

There are clubs in every region in every state, most of the time several. You don't have to be a member to race in an event although in the long run it's a little cheaper to be a member. Good advice is to go try an event, see if you like it, (get bitten by the bug and you will) and then see if you want to come back.
As far as tires, I ran Kuhmo 275/40/17 extreme summer tires for two seasons so you don't need to go out and buy tires to race. All you need is a safe car, (good brakes, nothing loose or falling off, and other basics of safety) and a helmet. (which they have loaners at most events). They make it as easy as possible to try it out. We want people to come back. The club would never get bigger if we were dicks to any new people.
Anyways, you can always go to SCCA.com and find your local club too no matter where you live.
And yes, I want my car to be like MLS's.........and I'm working on it.

Last edited by Racin'Z28; 07-11-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-11-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Racin:

Thank you very much for those kind words. You are right on the money about the clubs being open, friendly and helpful to new folks. Without new folks and friendships this sport wouldn't have lasted as long as it has. So come on out folks and give it a try. I can pretty much guarentee there's a club in your own back yard. Just check the SCCA's website and click on the "solo" button at the top of the page.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Racin:

Thank you very much for those kind words. You are right on the money about the clubs being open, friendly and helpful to new folks. Without new folks and friendships this sport wouldn't have lasted as long as it has. So come on out folks and give it a try. I can pretty much guarentee there's a club in your own back yard. Just check the SCCA's website and click on the "solo" button at the top of the page.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Just to clarify, the website for SCCA is supposed to be SCCA.com. The link MLS has is SCCA.org, which just may work too I don't know, but the SCCA site is down right now for some reason so I can't really tell.

Anyways, I guess you'll check back in with the site in a little while.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Hey Major, can you check out my thread named Hard Brake Pedal and see if you have any ideas Thanks Sean

Quick Reply: Sharing Pics of My Car at the SCCA National Tour