Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

the joy of replacing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default the joy of replacing brakes

well i FINALLY set out to put my new rotors and pads on today and wow what a bitch it was!!!!!!

the rotors are just duralast rotors and the pads are the duralast ceramic pads but we did run into a snag nothin can ever be done easy on this car and it's pissed me off since the first issue i had with the car. the caliper bracket has 2 pins the compress the pad when you press the brake pedal then decompress when you let off, well the passenger side was alittle snug but we got em out and lubed it up and all is good there . . . . . .the damn driver side though the top one was more snug but eventually came out the bottom though wouldn't budge tried an impact wrench on it, sprayed solvent to try and break it up and put it in a vice and tried hittin it with a hammer to persuade it out so after tryin for acouple hours we put the new rotor on with the new pads and since that pin is siezed the rotor doesn't spin lol some bullshit and the bracket new list is $96 and my cost is $85, but my buddy is goin to the GM salvage yard in the morning and is pickin one up for $20 anyway here are the pics of the old rotors

new rotors

Old 07-18-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using 2 wrenches? One to hold and one to turn the head? If a damn impact wrench doesn't break it loose, I'd say ratchet up the torque on that bad boy and break it out of there then go buy new hardware (ie. guide pins, boots, etc.) for all 4 brakes.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
Are you using 2 wrenches? One to hold and one to turn the head? If a damn impact wrench doesn't break it loose, I'd say ratchet up the torque on that bad boy and break it out of there then go buy new hardware (ie. guide pins, boots, etc.) for all 4 brakes.
we tried tightening it to break some of the rust build up but that didn't work, though it actually goes in a bit now where as before it wasn't moving at all. i'm replacing all for rotors in the next year and at that point i'll get new hardware
Old 07-18-2009, 05:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM sells a pad replacement kit, comes with new rubber seals for the pins, new bolts, lube for the pins and new antirattle springs. The kit is only a few bucks and if you use the kit and torque the bolts to the proper spec you will not have a problem with the install or removing them later on.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same problem on my buddies 2000 WS6 a couple months ago...took it over to the shop and heated the bracket up (it took quite a bit of heat) with a torch and the slide pin came right out with a few good whacks of a hammer and a pair of pliars. We cleaned up the pin and the bracket, threw a little grease in there and it works like a charm! Hope this helps..
Old 07-18-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

ive done the brakes so many times on my car because of racing, its second nature. granted shes only got 24K miles, but its never hard to do. surprisingly easy, with only a few wrenches and sockets. at least now you see why its important to keep the pins greased, especially on a daily driver.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to be an azzhat, but I think that sometimes people forget that the newest Camaro or Firebird (obviously discounting the 2010s) is now 7 years old. Stuff likes to stick together over time...
Old 07-18-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DaddySS
GM sells a pad replacement kit, comes with new rubber seals for the pins, new bolts, lube for the pins and new antirattle springs. The kit is only a few bucks and if you use the kit and torque the bolts to the proper spec you will not have a problem with the install or removing them later on.
sweet i'll keep this in mind!
Originally Posted by S.O.MWS6
Had the same problem on my buddies 2000 WS6 a couple months ago...took it over to the shop and heated the bracket up (it took quite a bit of heat) with a torch and the slide pin came right out with a few good whacks of a hammer and a pair of pliars. We cleaned up the pin and the bracket, threw a little grease in there and it works like a charm! Hope this helps..
we were goin to do that but then i called a GM salvage yard in the bay and they have the bracket for $20 so a buddy will pick it up for me
Originally Posted by EchoMirage
ive done the brakes so many times on my car because of racing, its second nature. granted shes only got 24K miles, but its never hard to do. surprisingly easy, with only a few wrenches and sockets. at least now you see why its important to keep the pins greased, especially on a daily driver.
i'm gonna do it every 20K or so
Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Not to be an azzhat, but I think that sometimes people forget that the newest Camaro or Firebird (obviously discounting the 2010s) is now 7 years old. Stuff likes to stick together over time...
my car is a 2000 and actually was built in august of 99 and has 154800 miles on it so really i shouldn't be all that surprised something like this happened
Old 07-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Default same problem

i'm having the same problem and can't find a bracket any where. i've called all the local parts places and either they don't carry the part or i'll have to buy the whole caliper kit. any suggestions on salvage yards in the d.c. metro area? all i need is the bracket. i already have the pins to put in the new/used bracket.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just did my fronts for the first time, took a while before i realized needed to use two wrenches, the bolt, threads into a threaded bushing that you have to hold with wrench

Last edited by metalmechanic; 07-23-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jb007
i'm having the same problem and can't find a bracket any where. i've called all the local parts places and either they don't carry the part or i'll have to buy the whole caliper kit. any suggestions on salvage yards in the d.c. metro area? all i need is the bracket. i already have the pins to put in the new/used bracket.
your local chevy dealership has the bracker for $96 list price and cost is $85

Quick Reply: the joy of replacing brakes