Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

drilled/slotted rotors... need them or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
running drilled rotors is like banging hookers without a bag. you could be fine, but would you want to take that chance?
Opinions here are not necessarily those of the channel you're tuned to. . . .

for example, why would GM place **** brakes on the ZR1?

Exhibit A:

Carry on. . . .
Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uh huh.....and why would GM put **** M1 oil in the vettes and caddys, when its been proven time and time again its the WORST oil you could ever use??

the rotors on the ZR1 are carbon ceramic, and are TOTALLY different then any regular cast iron rotor we use. youre attempting to compare apples to oranges. there is no way you could ever compare the two, the technology is years different.

carry on scooter....
Old 08-01-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

uh huh.....and why would GM put **** M1 oil in the vettes and caddys, when its been proven time and time again its the WORST oil you could ever use??

the rotors on the ZR1 are carbon ceramic, and are TOTALLY different then any regular cast iron rotor we use. youre attempting to compare apples to oranges. there is no way you could ever compare the two, the technology is years different.

carry on scooter....
if the technology was years different, wouldnt they have realized that outgassing doesnt exist? and that they dont need drilled rotors? and you cant blame those on GM, because they were designed 100% by brembo. Im not saying that drilled is the best, im just saying they are perfectly fine for street use. just like a drag guy would say QA1's are way better than konis. well, thats subjective, it depends on what you are doing with the car. so to the OP, if you can get em cheap, just do it, you'll like them
Old 08-01-2009, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
if the technology was years different, wouldnt they have realized that outgassing doesnt exist? and that they dont need drilled rotors? and you cant blame those on GM, because they were designed 100% by brembo. Im not saying that drilled is the best, im just saying they are perfectly fine for street use. just like a drag guy would say QA1's are way better than konis. well, thats subjective, it depends on what you are doing with the car. so to the OP, if you can get em cheap, just do it, you'll like them
You would also have to say that ferrari, nissan, and porsche are all making mistakes and using drilled carbon brakes. Drilled isn't just for outgassing from what I understand it's also for heat dissipation. And with carbon brakes heat dissipation helps alot.

Also don't forget most if not all superbikes use drilled rotors for that reason since they don't have the luxury of having veins in the rotors.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

and once again, youre comparing apples to oranges. carbon rotors wont crack. so if the holes are for heat, then so what. the OP is talking about regular cast iron rotors, which have been proven to crack when drilled. the only thing in common with a cast rotor and a carbon fiber or a bike rotor is the name and purpose. other then that, you shouldnt be comparing them, thinking whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

okay 'Scooter' heres your cast iron Ferrari F360 brake rotors with drilled holes...

Apples to apples.

Ferrari is a better car than our F-bodies, now take your theories and move along.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

well if i get some, brembo the brand to get?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

these to cheap?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSIRBY
Yep.

I put a set of cheap D/S rotors on my car and the braking performance was great. Initially. Less than halfway through the life of the pad there were small cracks coming from at least half of the holes.

Having said that, I have driven other cars with slotted rotors, and the braking just feels stronger and more steady. There may not be any actual numbers to back it up, but the feel is a lot better. Even going from the cheap rotors to some brembo blanks I feel like I lost something.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Duffster
okay 'Scooter' heres your cast iron Ferrari F360 brake rotors with drilled holes...

Apples to apples.
you must believe everything a comercial tells you, too. i bet youve got the tornado in your car, huh?

this topic has been covered before. just because it comes factory, does NOT mean its best for a car. to yet further reiterate my point, why the hell does M1 come factory filled in anything, when a cup of cold **** is better for your car? watch a NASCAR race. are those rotors drilled? no. watch ALMS. drilled? no. SCCA? no. out of all the autoxs and track days ive been to, no one ever put drilled rotors on their car.

if you think its 'needed' for a car, then since all ferraris come with leather seats, then leather must be "needed" for every car too, since its so much of a better car then everything else. they come on new cars for the LOOK, not the PERFORMANCE.

here is a quote directly from tirerack, under a brembo drilled rotor:
" Front Fitment
Note: (Front) Drilled vented rotors. Not recommended for track use. Do not use with race compound brake pads. Drilled rotors are not warranted against warping or cracking."

and here something off this very site:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...brake-faq.html

if youre such a drilled rotor , then go right ahead and use them. be sure to pull far off the road when they crack while youre braking so you dont hurt anyone else. move along scooter.

Last edited by EchoMirage; 08-02-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

what brand rotors do you have echo?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

for the track, brembo blanks. for the street, my C5 conv. kit came with powerslot slotted. the only reason im using them is because they CAME with the kit, no extra charge. otherwise, id be using some sort of blank rotors. slots are much safer then drilled, and while not the absolute best, i wouldnt worry too much about tracking or streeting a quality slotted. the differance in quality being the slots do not go all the way to the edge of the rotor, they stop a half inch or so before.

ATE makes a slotted rotor thats $2 cheaper then brembo blanks (in LS1 size). i have the C5 conv, and if i ever need new street rotors, it will either be the ATE or some kind of parts store solid replacement. my car barely sees 500 street miles per year, so they will likely never wear out, and either the ATEs or plain solids will provide more then enough stopping power on the street.

the ATE design is also better then the usual slots because its 2 concentric cirles, in a wavy patter, that go along the circumference of the rotor face, rather then going out radially towards the edge.

given my recent problem with quality control of the brembo blanks, i may look into another brand just from bad experience.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

and once again, youre comparing apples to oranges. carbon rotors wont crack. so if the holes are for heat, then so what. the OP is talking about regular cast iron rotors, which have been proven to crack when drilled. the only thing in common with a cast rotor and a carbon fiber or a bike rotor is the name and purpose. other then that, you shouldnt be comparing them, thinking whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
I wasn't comparing them I was giving examples of when drilled is ok, I personally hate drilled rotors. I have powerslots on my car right now but am going brembo blank here soon cause I ate through my rotors.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

where can i get a deal on brembo rotors? blanks.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSIRBY
where can i get a deal on brembo rotors? blanks.
I'm gonna use strano, they have a set of 4 with hawk pads for 470. Seems liek a good deal to me
Old 08-02-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

a 'deal'? youd have to shop around and hope you find someone running a sale. otherwise, prices will be pretty similar, once you work out shipping charges. tirerack has all 4 ATE slotted for $354. they also have a new company, centric premium. solid rotors, 2 fronts are $106.

if its just street driving, using a parts store brand will be fine, especially if they have a lifetime warranty. i know of people who routinely use them for the track, then bring them back and exchange them for new ones if they warp or need to be turned. that of course all depends on the particular store. not all will do that.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn I learned a lot from this thread LOL
Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

I've learned Echo don't like anything different or anyone who thinks outside of stock. . .
Old 08-02-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have drilled and slotted on my TA. I got them only for looks. No other purpose. Pads with them wear out a lot faster. The only thing I can say I noticed a difference in is the rotor grooving probably due to the slots. I live in an area with a lot of gravel I guess the slots keep the pad surface clean. I lurked around here long before I actually joined and read the sticky. So I got them for looks I only have the occasional hard braking to avoid a deer or two they work fine for that if it helps.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

well my car isnt a track queen anymore. it will still go to track but not every weekend. it will be daily driven more. its cam only now. i want performance, but something stylish to. but i'd rather be safe than look cool. any brands to choose from would be great so i can look around.

Quick Reply: drilled/slotted rotors... need them or not?