Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Easy way to flush brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Old Dot 3 fluid will only make the turkey taste a little more spicier!

Reminds me of one time when I almost brushed my teeth with the tooth brush I had used to clean my wheels. Moral of the story, dont bring the tooth brush back to the bathroom, because it will be used!
Old 08-02-2009 | 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use a vacula vacuum bleeder.

Works great and its quick.

If I happen to not have it around i gravity bleed them.

Id be careful about letting the master go dry, Ive always had to bench bleed master cylinders before install to get them done properly, but I may be missing something.

Propably the only time Id completely suck everything dry at the same time, would be if I was going to DOT 5.
Old 08-03-2009 | 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

gravity is your friend. Just keep teh MC full while all 4 corners slowly drain.

Once the fluid is clear at the caliper, close off the bleeder.

Then, pump a couple squirts through each caliper using the tried and true pump, bleed, hold, pump method.
Old 08-04-2009 | 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Can you gravity bleed one at a time?

How long does it take the right-right to bleed this way? Just a time frame, nothing exact.
Old 08-04-2009 | 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

It goes faster doing all of them at one time.

On a dry system, we see fluid within about 15 minutes or so. That's an extremely conservative estimate. It seems like it is less than 10 minutes.

I also give the calipers a decent whack with a rubber mallett to dislodge any clinging air bubbles.

Also, let me quantify that this in on a non-ABS car ... the ABS has been removed from the braking system. But under normal, average Joe bleeding, the ABS module is bypassed anyway.
Old 08-04-2009 | 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
a power bleeder like a motive only costs $50 or so. you buy it once, and youll have it forever. it makes life SO much easier and faster. you can do nearly every late model GM brake system with it, and you can get adapters for any other car made for under $20. its a quality, safe investment.
I bought one of these a few years ago. Makes it so easy...

Bill
Old 08-04-2009 | 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Seemed like no matter how much I bled my front left all I ever got was greenish-colored fluid.
Old 08-04-2009 | 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

were you adding fresh fluid while you were bleeding? the left front should be the fastest to bleed since its the closest to the master. try starting at the right rear, and keep bleeding/adding new fluid till you see fresh fluid come out. then left rear, right front, left front. it will also help alot to get a different color fluid then what you already have (for obvious reasons). its another reason why i like the ATE blue and standard fluid. theyre exactly the same except for color. makes it very easy to tell when youre flushing. the blue is blue, and the standard is clear. they call it 'type 200'.
Old 08-04-2009 | 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

This question is for 00 Trans Ram and mitchntx because you guys seems to be doing this the way I would go about it.

I want to flush my fluid due to age (water), and I still have the ABS. If the old manual bleeding method I am used to bypasses the ABS resovoir/valves, would you expect that 2 seperate flushing cycles will result in 95% new fluid?

Unfortunately I do not have access to a Tech 2.
Old 08-05-2009 | 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eseibel67
This question is for 00 Trans Ram and mitchntx because you guys seems to be doing this the way I would go about it.

I want to flush my fluid due to age (water), and I still have the ABS. If the old manual bleeding method I am used to bypasses the ABS resovoir/valves, would you expect that 2 seperate flushing cycles will result in 95% new fluid?

no. wont work. the ABS has to cycle -open and close- to flush it. the only way it does that is through a scanner, or after initial startup and at speeds of 5-10mph. i posted the technique in another thread. a power bleed is a HUGE help in this.

heres a thread on frrax that explains the procedure:

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=13033
Old 08-05-2009 | 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by eseibel67

Probably 1 thorough flush cycle will get 95%.

While I've never cut one open, I don't think the ABS module holds a tremndous amount of fluid. But that certainly raises a good question ... Does any one know for sure?
Old 10-12-2019 | 11:45 AM
Teching In

here is the GM shop manual for you t a

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Quick Reply: Easy way to flush brake fluid