Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is a good street setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good street setup?

The car is my DD, I'm looking to get it to hook up better at the track, ride a little better, and attack corners harder. Sounds like I want the best of it all right? hah. Anyway Ride quality isn't top priority but I awnt it to be nice. Anything will be better than the stock shocks with 80k on them. Main thing is I don't have much/any room to lower the car. 1" would be pushing it with my current exhaust. Any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

koni shocks with stock springs, lca's, phb, lca relocation brackets, torque arm, swaybars

how much are you looking to spend?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
koni shocks with stock springs, lca's, phb, lca relocation brackets, torque arm, swaybars

how much are you looking to spend?
I would agree w/ Konis too. This would also allow you to lower the car 3/4" if you want to by using the lower perch on the fronts. It is going to be more composed and the rears will be adjustable. I am running the Konis on stock springs top perch for now and the ride and handling is better than ever. I also don't have slight wheel hop or spinning issues anymore. The car hooks well w/ stock F1s.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

not looking to spend too much, but want the best for my money. Any recomendations on where to get the konis? Spohn's website lists it as a little over a grand for all four..
Old 08-02-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

if you want the best, you're going to pay haha. you can get the off car adjustable ones from stranoparts.com for $850 plus shipping.

personally, i'm plenty happy with my bilsteins. much cheaper than koni's yet way better than stock. if you wanna keep stock height pick up some bilstein HD's. you don't HAVE to lower it to make it handle better. stock springs in the rear will help it launch better also over shorter stiffer springs.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I noticed that you are interested in getting a suspension upgrade! And I just figured that I would suggest UMI Performance! We offer a wide variety of suspension parts that might be of interest to you. Below are a few links to show you what I would recommend for your set-up.

To allow you to still have a good ride quality and eliminate the flexing of the stock control arms.
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...uu7n8dgu3f74r0

To help eliminate wheel hop and increase your traction performance.

To allow you to fine tune your suspension by setting the pinion angle.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 08-07-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

So, perhaps bilstein HD shocks, umi TA, and LCA relocation brackets... Looks like a good way to cut down my 60' without destroying my rear end lol. Anyone out there running a setup like this with some perspective? I like what I have heard about koni.. but the stock ride height is ok with me, and I remember hearing a lot of good reviews on the bilsteins back in my LT1 days
Old 08-07-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

In hind site, one of the first things I should have done is get Sam Strano's Sway bar kit for $400. I ending up getting Koni 4/4's and springs first, which are awesome, but didn't do a whole lot for the roll that my car had. And that was my biggest complaint was the roll the car had through corners.

I guess you need to pinpoint what you don't like about what you have now and work on that.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

im interested in this thread.. im also doing this same mod, but im looking for cheap but good. i cant figure out what shocks are the best compromise in price and performance. i dont need any fancy smancy konis, im used to lakewood 50/50s and 90/10s on my mustang, and i need some decent shocks for the camaro before it floats right off the road. im also going to replace the panhard bar and get some lca relocation brackets.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RacingTiger03
So, perhaps bilstein HD shocks, umi TA, and LCA relocation brackets... Looks like a good way to cut down my 60' without destroying my rear end lol. Anyone out there running a setup like this with some perspective? I like what I have heard about koni.. but the stock ride height is ok with me, and I remember hearing a lot of good reviews on the bilsteins back in my LT1 days
That's actually what I'd consider giving your driving application explaination. Though I'd look into the Strano spec Bilstiens which have a different rear shock. Sam Strano has a lot of experience with lots of shocks and understands how they are valved, even over time as manufacturers change valving. The recent rear HD Sam says is valved really similarly to a rear stock decarbon shock. The Strano spec Bilstiens should only be ~50 bucks more I think.

Assuming you're keeping stock LCA's.. consider swapping the stock star shaped bushings out for some solid rubber bushings (Moog or 1LE)
Old 08-08-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

only thing with the lca bushings is when i went around to autoparts stores they were around $40 for EACH bushing. you can get nice pretty rubber/rubber tubular lca's from BMR for less than that.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spend the money,buy the koni's if you can.If you can't afford them than the re valve bilsteins from strano is ok as long as you don't ride in a car like yours with the koni's.I have the koni 4/3 shocks and love them plus a lot of other suspension mods,strano hollow sway bars,lca's,umi subframe,and a watts link.Call up Sam Strano and talk to him about what you want out of your car.He is the man.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Back to kind of a starter question...What are your 60' times? and what size and tire are you running or want to run?
Old 09-06-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

after reading about bmr's recomendation I am going to go that route I think
Old 09-06-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Call up Sam Strano and talk to him about how much you want to spend and what your goals are for your car.He is the best person to talk to.1-800-729-1831.I think he is out
racing right now for a couple of weeks.

Last edited by transwiz; 09-07-2009 at 09:05 PM.