Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowered car/ panhard bar????

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowered car/ panhard bar????

car was lowered in the front about 1.5" and in the rear was dropped 1.2" I believe which was a bmr rear spring. Either way with the vehicle being lowered will I need to have a panhard bar relocation kit installed on the car and if so which one to get, what exactly will it help with??
thanks, Tom
Old 08-06-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

You just need an adjustable PH bar.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont no why you would need anything. I lowered my car and everything was fine.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
I dont no why you would need anything. I lowered my car and everything was fine.
Other than your rearend isn't centered. The adjustable PHB re-centers it...and depending on which you get it will help w/ bushing deflection of the stock piece.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Other than your rearend isn't centered. The adjustable PHB re-centers it...and depending on which you get it will help w/ bushing deflection of the stock piece.
When I did mine the car was like a 1/4" off. I dont know if it varies depending on your setup but that does seem like enough to waste 100+ dollars.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

When I did mine the car was like a 1/4" off. I dont know if it varies depending on your setup but that does seem like enough to waste 100+ dollars.
It also provides other benefits as mentioned as well. The difference isn't huge but why lower if you aren't going to do it right?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I made my own double adjustable phb and saw no difference. I drove about 8000 miles with the car lowered on the stock one and when I took it off it still looked new. Now I can see where it might be important at the track but I don’t think its that necessary. If you have the money then go ahead.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I always think of it this way! It's always a good idea to have a adjustable PHB (rod end version) just because if you want to run a bigger tire and need to center the rear or it also eliminates any binding issue that you might have with the rear end! I just figured I would through in my opinion! Below is a link to show you what UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...qiliqlbenh5677

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...qiliqlbenh5677

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Well I made my own double adjustable phb and saw no difference. I drove about 8000 miles with the car lowered on the stock one and when I took it off it still looked new. Now I can see where it might be important at the track but I don’t think its that necessary. If you have the money then go ahead.
people who are happy to do things the wrong way just shouldn't even post.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pjb
people who are happy to do things the wrong way just shouldn't even post.
How would it be doing the wrong way? I notice no differnce when I had the stock phb and then went to adjustable phb. In that case everyone who gets lowering springs should by shocks, lcas, and adjustable a-arms.

Last edited by JeaneZ28; 08-07-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

did you adjust the PHB to recenter the rear end? if not you should have, if you did then you corrected problems you weren't even aware you had.

and yes, when you go to lowering springs you should change shocks (assuming you are on stockers), the rest is not essential.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRAYED Z
car was lowered in the front about 1.5" and in the rear was dropped 1.2" I believe which was a bmr rear spring. Either way with the vehicle being lowered will I need to have a panhard bar relocation kit installed on the car and if so which one to get, what exactly will it help with??
thanks, Tom
Tom, usually with a drop of any kind the body will move over so you will need an adjustable panhard bar. You will only need an adjustable pan hard bar not the relocation kit. If your going to run a 3" exhaust out the back then you would need the relocation kit. The pan hard bars purpose is to center the body over the rear end and to keep the body from moving side to side. We have several different versions of our adjustable panhard rods. They are all on car adjustable. Give me a call if you have any questions.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
Attached Thumbnails lowered car/ panhard bar????-phr002.jpg   lowered car/ panhard bar????-phr010rsmall.jpg   lowered car/ panhard bar????-mphr003.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pjb
did you adjust the PHB to recenter the rear end? if not you should have, if you did then you corrected problems you weren't even aware you had.

and yes, when you go to lowering springs you should change shocks (assuming you are on stockers), the rest is not essential.
It was off a 1/4" not even enough to worry about. All I'm saying is its not that neccesary you can make it by with out it. If he wants to do it then go right ahead.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

It was off a 1/4" not even enough to worry about.

exactly how much binding does that do to things like LCA movement?
how much binding is acceptable?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pjb
It was off a 1/4" not even enough to worry about.

exactly how much binding does that do to things like LCA movement?
how much binding is acceptable?
I put over 8000 miles on the car before I put double adjustable phb and lcas on my car. They looked brand new when I took them off, no wear on the bushing. So you tell me how much binding is acceptable.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lowered = PHB 4U

Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How would it be doing the wrong way? I notice no differnce when I had the stock phb and then went to adjustable phb. In that case everyone who gets lowering springs should by shocks, lcas, and adjustable a-arms.

Im not sure where your getting your info but I don't see how LCAs or adjustable A-arms are in any way necessary, or even recommended, when lowered.
To lower the car properly you do need an adjustble PHB, and shocks that can damp the springs. Even though my rear end was sitting noticeably uneven after lowering with a stock PHB, the aftermarket adjustable PHB did nothing performance-wise for me as far as I could tell, but did recenter the rear. Shocks on the other hand are a HUGE improvement, and anyone driving around on stock shocks are REALLY missing out.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

Im not sure where your getting your info but I don't see how LCAs or adjustable A-arms are in any way necessary, or even recommended, when lowered.
To lower the car properly you do need an adjustble PHB, and shocks that can damp the springs. Even though my rear end was sitting noticeably uneven after lowering with a stock PHB, the aftermarket adjustable PHB did nothing performance-wise for me as far as I could tell, but did recenter the rear. Shocks on the other hand are a HUGE improvement, and anyone driving around on stock shocks are REALLY missing out.
I was being sarcastic in saying you might as well replace everything. Yes to do it properly you do need adjustable phb. All I was saying is you can live without for awhile. You dont have to have it when you lower the car. I wanted to build my own so I left the stock ones on the car. When I took them off they looked like they haven't been used beside being dirty. Now if you have the money I would recommend changing it.

Quick Reply: lowered car/ panhard bar????