Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Who carries polyurethane motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who carries polyurethane motor mounts?

I have checked several sponsor web sites for polyurethane motor mounts without any luck. Who carries mounts and what brands are available?
Old 11-22-2003, 07:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry
I have checked several sponsor web sites for polyurethane motor mounts without any luck. Who carries mounts and what brands are available?
We carry them (Prothane), I don't think I have them on the website yet, just call to order. They are $39.00/pr.

Steve
Old 11-22-2003, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

I got my set from Jegs, Summit also has them, and I'm sure a number of the sponsors sell them.

The only "problem" is that you only get the "inside" part (the poly) and you have to cut apart a factory motor mount to install the poly.

I bought another set from a guy, cut them apart, had the metal parts (the clams) powder coated, and then bolted them back together (with the new poly inside) with stainless bolts and metal center locking nuts. By doing this, I have better motor mount (won't rust) and was able to pay $50 to have someone else beat their hands up swapping the mounts (well worth the cost).

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 11-22-2003 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
I got my set from Jegs, Summit also has them, and I'm sure a number of the sponsors sell them.

The only "problem" is that you only get the "inside" part (the poly) and you have to cut apart a factory motor mount to install the poly.

I bought another set from a guy, cut them apart, had the metal parts (the clams) powder coated, and then bolted them back together (with the new poly inside) with stainless bolts and metal center locking nuts. By doing this, I have better motor mount (won't rust) and was able to pay $50 to have someone else beat their hands up swapping the mounts (well worth the cost).
Sounds like I better crawl under there and take a better look at what I'm up against. Might be more work than I originally thought. Just trying to keep my Y pipe from rubbing on that drivers side.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I would take a look at it.......I have a BMR K-member (so its about 500% easier to get at things) and I still don't like messing with motor mounts

as I said, get a set (used) from someone, mod them, and then take the car to a shop and pay them $50 - $100 to swap them out.....it is WELL worth the money
Old 11-22-2003, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
I would take a look at it.......I have a BMR K-member (so its about 500% easier to get at things) and I still don't like messing with motor mounts

as I said, get a set (used) from someone, mod them, and then take the car to a shop and pay them $50 - $100 to swap them out.....it is WELL worth the money
I have a tubular K member also but did not remove the motor mounts to install it. I have examined the mounts but not the part about cutting the clams to get it apart. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2003, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

the clams are rivited together....so you must mount them in a vice and drill out the rivits.....thats the easy part
Old 11-22-2003, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry.. I think it will be an even easier swap with your K member.. since you can remove the whole motor mount if nesasary.

As far as the swapping out of the bushings... it's pretty straight forward. You'll need a good sharp chisel, drill and a good vise. Alot like swapping to a poly tranny mount... just a little more of it. Not a bad idea to have some paint handy to "touch" them up afterward.

Last edited by WILWAXU; 11-24-2003 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Larry.. I think it will be an even easier swap with your K member.. since you can remove the whole motor mount if nesasary.

As far as the swapping out of the bushings... it's pretty straight forward. You'll need a good sharp punch, drill and a good vise. Alot like swapping to a poly tranny mount... just a little more of it. Not a bad idea to have some paint handy to "touch" them up afterward.
I bet I can handle that. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2003, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

motor mount swap is well below a head/cam swap on the "how hard is it" list.......I just felt it was really tedious and didn't want to play with it myself
Old 11-23-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

when i did my torque arm bushing i just took a sharp chissel to it and hitit 2 times and the rivet broke....
Old 11-24-2003, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
when i did my torque arm bushing i just took a sharp chissel to it and hitit 2 times and the rivet broke....
Yeah.. I meant chisel not punch.. fixed it above.

Quick Reply: Who carries polyurethane motor mounts?