Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

"Brake Noise" especially when turning

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Brake Noise" especially when turning

So a few weeks ago I had new axles put in on both sides of the my 96 LT1. While the wheels where off I had the read rotors turned. The car was put back together and the first ride revealed what sound like a brake rubbing. Not a big deal since when I picked up the rotots they told me one of them had a high spot.

Was expecting new pads and rotors anyways.. so waited for them to come in. Swapped in the rotors and pads...

Now both wheels are making the same noise and its a lot worse when turning.. turning left the rear right is loud and turning right the rear left is loud. I checked the caliper to make sure it was not hanging up anywhere, did not see anything. Parking break seems ok...

Anyone have any other thoughts. Could it be that the bad axles screwed up the calipers and the "molded" to the old sloppy axles?

Any ideas would be great...
Old 08-13-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you grease the bolts where they allow the calipers to move freely when the pedal is replaced?
Old 08-13-2009, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

I did.. but I am going to pop the wheels off again and just double check...
Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

backing plate making contact with rotor
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a shim kit for your caliper bracket...it's hitting the rotors when you turn. There’s a tolerance that the caliper should be set to (centered on the rotor). Probably sounds like a high-pitched squeal. It's a different sound vs. pad shutter. If this is the problem, turn and create the noise, step on the brakes, the noise will probably stop.

I don't know the part number offhand...they probably discontinued it anyways. You can make one from sheet-metal.

I had the same problem a long time ago when I changed my 95's gears back in 95. Changing the backlash moved the axles enough to create the interference on turns and every so often on straight paths. The info is in a GM shop manual if you have one.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

You hit the noise right on... It probaly does not help that the Moser Axles I put on have a thicker end on them too.. Now to try and find something to shim it with...
Old 08-13-2009, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

Just find a piece of sheet metal the thickness you need to shim it over. Good luck.

Welcome to the boards btw.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

So would the Shim look something like this?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1042308

Somehow I dont think those are them... Where exactly would they fit.. between the caliper and the axle mounting point for the caliper or between the rotor and axle? I am guessing you could almost use some washers to move the caliper mounting around...

Last edited by kcarlasc; 08-13-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:51 PM
FormerVendor

No. It’s just a small piece of metal...get a piece of scrap steel. If you don't have any go to home depot. Go to the section where brackets are located...or even brick shims...or a piece of duct metal...just take the caliper off and use it as the template. Cut it with shears then make sure you remove the burrs.

It's going to fit between the caliper and the mounting bolts. You'll see the caliper is probably too far over not centered on the rotor. There's a measurement to take if you have a dial caliper...I don't know offhand what the values are. If you have the book, it's in there.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Awesome.. thanks.. I think I got it now....

Quick Reply: "Brake Noise" especially when turning