Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

CTS-V Swap and No Track Use? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Default CTS-V Swap and No Track Use? Why?

I was looking through jasonWW posts on the CTS-V calipers and Z06 Rotors, why can't we use these on the track?

I figured a brembo setup with bigger rotors would work better for the track...

Is it because we have to use those washers to space the caliper out?

My concern with doing this brake swap is if i am going 150+ and i need to stop, will these things hold up better or worse than my stock rotors and HPS pads?

Lastly, a while back i saw a post of a guy with 10 spokes like mine that put a bigger brake kit on his car. He used a 1 inch spacer. Anyone know this thread?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
I was looking through jasonWW posts on the CTS-V calipers and Z06 Rotors, why can't we use these on the track?

I figured a brembo setup with bigger rotors would work better for the track...
Who said the CTS-V setup can't be used on the track?? That setup is the best your going to get for track duty without getting a ridiculously expensive aftermarket kit. With the CTS-V setup and a set of Hawk pads you should be good to go for the track.

Is it because we have to use those washers to space the caliper out?
Nope, that has nothing to do with it.

My concern with doing this brake swap is if i am going 150+ and i need to stop, will these things hold up better or worse than my stock rotors and HPS pads?
Much, much better. From 150MPH, hitting your stock brakes is going to fade them into oblivion. The CTS-V setup is much better for serious abuse like that. My CTS-V setup is incomparably better than my stock brakes in every aspect.

Lastly, a while back i saw a post of a guy with 10 spokes like mine that put a bigger brake kit on his car. He used a 1 inch spacer. Anyone know this thread?
It wasn't the CTS-V setup, because you need 18" wheels to clear the calipers. Perhaps it was a C5 swap.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He may have been reffering to the people who run the V calipers and Z0 rotors as the Z) rotors have a known issue since they are a directionally drilled rotor but there is only one for both sides.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
He may have been reffering to the people who run the V calipers and Z0 rotors as the Z) rotors have a known issue since they are a directionally drilled rotor but there is only one for both sides.
I was not referring to this, could you explain it in a bit more detail so i understand this better?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Wilwood makes a 6 piston kit that fits some 17" wheels..
Old 09-01-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was not referring to this, could you explain it in a bit more detail so i understand this better?
I dont run the Z0 rotors so keep in mind this is all heresay.

The c6 Z06 utilizes a drilled rotor.

Notice the holes are drilled in a directional pattern.
Many of the Z0 guys who ran their cars on the road courses where expressing issues with the stock rotors as there is only one rotor which is used on both sides (therfore one is "backwards")
Old 09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
I dont run the Z0 rotors so keep in mind this is all heresay.

Notice the holes are drilled in a directional pattern.
Many of the Z0 guys who ran their cars on the road courses where expressing issues with the stock rotors as there is only one rotor which is used on both sides (therfore one is "backwards")
I have heard of all this before, but there has never been any hard facts to prove that one side will run hotter than the other simply due to the direction of the drilled holes.

People often question it, but it has never been documented as an actual problem.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

A buddy of mine races at spring mountain, he drove one of the C6Zs and he cracked the rotors...

not sure if it matters.

I do notice the holes drilled in a directional form, can you just run a blank or a different rotor and solve the issue?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Run a blank, I have never seen a drilled rotors, thats been subjected to track use not crack, your gonna get some minor cracks, that dont really matter they can be turned out, its the big ones that are an issue. Seen pics of it on Porsche stuff and on high end brembo stuff.

When I was in my brake seminar, they were telling me about a few guys who are buying up cheap Autozone white box rotors, takin them home and putting them on a drill press then selling them on ebay as "high performance" drilled rotors. Apparently they drill right through the vanes and everythign which seriously compromises integrity, but for the most part good reputable brands dont do that. Just a little tid bit for anyone buying rotors off ebay, do some research.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
I have heard of all this before, but there has never been any hard facts to prove that one side will run hotter than the other simply due to the direction of the drilled holes.

People often question it, but it has never been documented as an actual problem.

look on corvetteforum and do a search in the autocross/road race section...there are facts

also, the ZO6 calipers use individual padlets as they are called rather than 1 pad per/caliper. This also raises heat and hurts stopping power and performance. Carbotech makes a pad to solve that issue and fits normal so instead of the multiple padlets it is 1 single pad per caliper..greatly reduces heat and helps stopping power. The C6Z guys who track there cars regularly change there brake setup pretty quickly to a stoptech or brembo setup
Old 09-03-2009, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

huh, so chevrolet really failed on the C6Z brake design. Interesting....
Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

huh, so chevrolet really failed on the C6Z brake design. Interesting....
Failed?? No. The car stops amazingly quickly for a stock vehicle, and the brakes are excellent for street and light track use.

The deficiencies of that brake system only become apparent with serious track use.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Wilwood makes a 6 piston kit that fits some 17" wheels..
i would have to say a 6piston setup on a 13inch rotor is way over kill. just my 2cents
Old 09-08-2009, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firebird6786
i would have to say a 6piston setup on a 13inch rotor is way over kill. just my 2cents
why do you say this?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by firebird6786

and I'm not arguing, if you're talking about street use. On the track (road course), you need everything you can to get the car stopped as late/fast as possible.

why do you say this?
because there's not a lot of rotor surface area. Larger rotor = better cooling is allowed through the system. a 6 pot setup on that size rotor could generate a lot of unwanted heat in the brake system....though a lot of people use that wilwood setup with no ill effects on track.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

the thing i would be most concerned about is not the track duty of the brake rotor, but how fast i can slow down when i am going 140-160.

I just mash the pedal and i would like to stop as soon as possible
Old 09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

that will come down more to the pad you run and how cool you can keep your brake setup. Good set of spindle/ducts from Quantum Motorsports + a good set of Hawk or Carbotech type pads (there are others like Cobalt, these are just the main ones). Obviously a better than stock caliper/rotor setup would help too, but it is not needed. There are plenty of people racing their cars on track with stock calipers
Old 09-09-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

where do these brake ducts attach to?

anyone have some pics of them installed?

I have HPS pads already on my stock Caliper. I need rotors because in my infinite wisdom i bought cheap drilled and slotted rotors.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

the thing i would be most concerned about is not the track duty of the brake rotor, but how fast i can slow down when i am going 140-160.

I just mash the pedal and i would like to stop as soon as possible
Both the CTS-V/Z06 and Z06/Z06 upgrade will be more than sufficient for that kind of demand, even with stock pads and without brake ducts. Now if you're going to do that repeatedly, then you're going to need better cooling, such as ducts.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope you understand that your braking efficiency depends alot on the tires. The stickier the tire the less your brake distances become.

In other words even if you have a 6 piston setup with 14" rotors and upgraded pads, without grip your not stopping.

What I'm trying to say is that if you aren't going to track the car, a C5/ C6 caliper with a 13 rotor and correct pad will do you fine, as long as you have a decent tire up front.

Otherwise you might just simply induce tire lock up and of course the ABS system.

Also, brake ducts are for tracking and or lapping a car, same thing for race compound pads.

Running ducts and race pads on the street is not recommended. You will over cool the rotors and the pads wont get up to operating temps. Race pads need a certain amount of heat to induce the bite and ducts help the rotors survive.

Last edited by 2000Z28M6; 09-09-2009 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: CTS-V Swap and No Track Use? Why?