Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I broke a shock...Any Bilstein HD owners to give me a review?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default I broke a shock...Any Bilstein HD owners to give me a review?

Well I had an unfortunate run in with a curb. I thought it was going to be a dry day and it rained while I was at work. Luckily i didn't damage much on the car besides the shock. No bent rim or any scratches.

So Mr. Strano recommended me the Bilstein HDs. Can anyone with these give me a decent opinion on them and any regrets. Perhaps there are some out there that have went from stock -> Bilstein HD -> Koni SA.

I have no problem spending money on a car, but I don't plan on keeping this thing for ever. It's not perfect, and I only drive it on the weekends. So I'm not sure I wanna spend a lot, just a good bang for my buck you know.

One other thing I was wondering, does anyone ever go with Koni SA's on the front and another shock on the rear with similar damping as the konis without the price. Just curious. If I could get some feedback I'd surely appreciate it. I need to make a quick decision because I am leaving soon for the desert. I'd like to complete the install, (which i have never done) before I leave and get the car winterized by next weekend.

Thanks guys, here are the pics of the unfortunate accident.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your goals the bilstein HDs will be fine.

Otherwise per your pictures you also tore up your shock mount and no telling what else might be bent.

The mount is toast for sure.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
For your goals the bilstein HDs will be fine.

Otherwise per your pictures you also tore up your shock mount and no telling what else might be bent.

The mount is toast for sure.
Yes, I'll be ordering a GM mount replacement. I hope nothing else is too messed up.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bilsteins are ok,that's all.It depends on how picky you are.The Koni's are way better.
If you want something that rides really good and handles really good buy the Koni's.You would be amazed at the difference a great shocks will make.It's your car and you are the one that has to be happy with it.Why don't you call Sam Strano/Strano Performance and talk to him about it.He is a good guy and won't try to oversell you. Strano 1-800-729-1831
Old 09-28-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transwiz
The bilsteins are ok,that's all.It depends on how picky you are.The Koni's are way better.
If you want something that rides really good and handles really good buy the Koni's.You would be amazed at the difference a great shocks will make.It's your car and you are the one that has to be happy with it.Why don't you call Sam Strano/Strano Performance and talk to him about it.He is a good guy and won't try to oversell you. Strano 1-800-729-1831
I know Konis are good, but I plan on buying a WS6 in a year or two. I'd rather put Konis on that than this. I'll turn 25 and insurance will go down, well it's that or a grand national, haven't really made up my mind.

I talked to Sam, he likes the idea of the Bilsteins for my situation. I hope some owners of these chime in soon
Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i have bilsteins. they're revalves but somewhat similar i would think. they're way better than stock. maybe not the absolute best thing out there but definitely an upgrade and worth the money. the guy i got them from upgraded from them to konis and said they were an improvement but not an astounding difference. also, a friend of mine has konis on his car and it rides nicer, but for the money i spent i'm happy.

as far as using a different shock in the rear, you could probably get away with a cheaper shock in the rear, since with the konis you'd end up setting them to almost full-soft anyway.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Bilsteins are a nice improvement over stock.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will be fine with bilsteins, i love mine
Old 09-28-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why you would want Koni's in the front and another brand of shock in the back to save money because the front Koni shocks are more expensive than the rear.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I went from stock to Bilsteins and was impressed by the improvement in handling and the far superior ride. Then I went to Konis on the front for the sake of the lower perch setting. I kept my Bilsteins on the rear. The Konis were a lot tighter, but increased harshness over sharp bumps. After adjusting them some, I liked them better, but they still don't ride as nicely as the Bilsteins did.

If you get Strano-spec Bilsteins, they'll continue to work fine on the rear if you go to Konis later on the front. They're not as responsive as the Koni rears even on full soft, but they don't hit the bumps as hard either.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I don't know why you would want Koni's in the front and another brand of shock in the back to save money because the front Koni shocks are more expensive than the rear.
the rears have a lot less spring rate to dampen. a cheaper shock will probably be able to handle it fine. this way you still get good control in both the front and rear but you save some money overall. not a bad plan but you have a point. the rears aren't all that expensive so why not just do it right.

Quick Reply: I broke a shock...Any Bilstein HD owners to give me a review?