Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Duralast and Moog tie rods the same?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had i known you could find moog cheaper, i would have gotten them. my local store wanted around $80 EACH for a moog tie rod end. i went with parts masters instead. i didnt need them yet, just a preventitive maintenance. theyre not as good as moog, but the store hasnt heard anything bad about them yet. and its a real parts store, not a chain like autozone or pep boys. these guys actually know their parts and whatnot.

just looking around, you can order moog right off their site, and sometimes even cheaper at amazon. it seems all their moog parts qualify for free shipping, so now i know where ill be getting my parts from.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI, I get my moog replacement parts from Strano. His prices are very competitive, plus you get to talk to Sam on the phone which is always fun because I always learn something new when I talk to him.

BTW, he can get/carries a ton more stuff then he lists on his website. All you got to do is call.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
I have MOOG inner/outer tie rods. I can tell you this, bump steer has been GREATLY reduced. Not elimiated, but GREATLY reduced.
I'm not trying to be nasty here, but if you feel that replacing your tie rods with Moog, or any other replacement part, eliminated your "bumpsteer", then you don't understand what the term "bumpsteer" means....
Old 10-15-2009, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm not trying to be nasty here, but if you feel that replacing your tie rods with Moog, or any other replacement part, eliminated your "bumpsteer", then you don't understand what the term "bumpsteer" means....
Did you not read what he wrote? He said reduced NOT eliminated. Read. The Moog part is a quality part, it probably reduced bumpsteer greatly over the stock parts he had before. My BAER Bumpsteer tie rods however did eliminate my bumpsteer. The steering feel is incredible, however the car does track fairly noticably.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tbird31
Did you not read what he wrote? He said reduced NOT eliminated. Read. The Moog part is a quality part, it probably reduced bumpsteer greatly over the stock parts he had before. My BAER Bumpsteer tie rods however did eliminate my bumpsteer. The steering feel is incredible, however the car does track fairly noticably.

YES, I read what he posted. Quite simply, replacing the worn, stock tie rods with another set of stock replacement tie rods will reduce slop or play in the steering. It will NOT change the geometry of the steering. Therefore, if a car, for instance, has been lowered, it will have a different bumpsteer curve, because the position of the tie rods, which are attached to a "hard" suspension point, will have a different arc of travel compared to the control arms.

Therefore, when the car hits a bump, the control arms are travelling in one arc, and the tie rods in another, hence you have the situation known as "bumpsteer". This has NOTHING to do with the condition of the the rods, its a function of suspension geometry.

The Baer tie rods have a means of altering the position of the tie rods with respect to the spindles, therefore their "feature" is that you can alter the "bumpsteer curve", in order to get back into the "sweet spot" that the factory designed into the front end.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

YES, I read what he posted. Quite simply, replacing the worn, stock tie rods with another set of stock replacement tie rods will reduce slop or play in the steering. It will NOT change the geometry of the steering. Therefore, if a car, for instance, has been lowered, it will have a different bumpsteer curve, because the position of the tie rods, which are attached to a "hard" suspension point, will have a different arc of travel compared to the control arms.

Therefore, when the car hits a bump, the control arms are travelling in one arc, and the tie rods in another, hence you have the situation known as "bumpsteer". This has NOTHING to do with the condition of the the rods, its a function of suspension geometry.

The Baer tie rods have a means of altering the position of the tie rods with respect to the spindles, therefore their "feature" is that you can alter the "bumpsteer curve", in order to get back into the "sweet spot" that the factory designed into the front end.
Perhaps the Moog helped him because their slightly different with the end being a different height from stock, changing the geometry slightly reducing bumpsteer?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by squee
Perhaps the Moog helped him because their slightly different with the end being a different height from stock, changing the geometry slightly reducing bumpsteer?
Anything is possible, however I truly think that the term "bumpsteer" is being misunderstood in this situation......
Old 10-16-2009, 08:38 AM
12 Second Club

Anything is possible, however I truly think that the term "bumpsteer" is being misunderstood in this situation......
I'm with ya here. I wondered how a parts store tierod can reduce bumpsteer without geometry changes. Something is telling me he just took slop out of the front end. If the MOOG end had a different height from stock then it would mess with the geometry of a stock car. I doubt MOOG changed the height of their ends to help out lowered car when they make up the 1% of the cars these parts would be going on.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is NOT lowered. What i meant was: when i go over a bump at highway speed, whether it is a pot hot, or a shitty patch job on the highway, my steering wheel doesn't "bump" over and pull my car. I guess the phrase i was looking for was it " HELPED to removed the slop" from my front suspension.

I also installed MOOG upper/lower BJ's, Upper/Lower Front Control Arm Bushings, and new GM upper strut mounts. I suppose anyone of those, or a combination help the situation.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

I guess you were just getting some slop then. These cars don't have to much bumpsteer to begin with at stock height.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbird31
I've got the BAER bump steer tie rod ends and LOVE them.
Where did you pick yours up at?

Quick Reply: Duralast and Moog tie rods the same?