Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Some Suspension mod advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Suspension mod advice

So heres the story in a nutshell. Wanted to lower my camaro..got a hold of some eibach sportlines (don't really need to hear.."those springs suck" cuz this will not help my problem) about 2 days later i read on here that BMR has a special going on with koni shocks and bmr springs for 735...so i contacted summit racing (were i purchased the springs) and asked if i could return them. They happily said no problem. I ordered a set from BMR last week and today finally called them when i did not recieve a tracking number. I was told they had them on back order and i wouldnt recieve this product until the end of june. No offense to BMR but that would have been a nice thing to post on their website or during the order process...Now my car is sitting on jack stands and ive already cut the **** out of my shocks to get the strut mounts off. I called today and cancled that order..and am now in a **** position because i dont know what shocks work well with these sportlines that i guess im keeping
Need some advice here, would really appreciate it
Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The BMR kit is worth the wait. Have their BMR level 2 kit.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackjack325
The BMR kit is worth the wait. Have their BMR level 2 kit.

I dont doubt this..but the problem is that i live in a place that has seasons..and a month out of a 3 month period in which driving my car is an option wasted on having it sit in a garage on jack stands just sucks. So i would like to be able to order something and be able to throw this thing back together sometime soon. I have a tsp long tube header and y pipe assembly that i just got on the car, the magnaflow quad cat-back will be on at the end of this week..and ive yet to even drive the thing..which is frustrating. I dont want to sound impatient but having this car to enjoy watching it sit in a garage was not my initial idea. ---waiting for someone to say..."move to a warmer state"...in which case i would reply..i would love to..but that option isnt available at this time.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know what waiting is... bought this car July 2011.

motor was shot. Guy that rebuilt the motor F'ed up and put a high volume pump using the stock oil pan. Burned up the bearings along with MAJOR low oil pressure. Had to shut her down.

Motor rebuilt.

Transmission (which was also rebuilt by the previous owner) supposedly for HP burned out too. Slammed in my old 94's trans with some minor mods to the wiring for the sensors.

Body work done, fresh arctic white paint and hugger orange stripes (like when it left the factory), interior done, suspension done, breaks, exhaust was already there so i kept it.

Worth the wait.

Car shots taken TODAY
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Teching In

^ Not trying to be a dick..But you expressing your familiarity with my situation in that you understand the ins and outs of..."waiting" doesn't help me. I appreciate the comments in that im glad to see someone has something to say on the matter and like i said, i don't mean for that to come off the wrong way...but im just looking for someone who may have a set of bilstein B12's with sprotlines or something along that lines that can give me an idea as to how they ride and whether or not there's something better out there that im missing..
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Better shocks? In what way or better than what?

I got BMR's optional "cheap" Tokico shocks with my kit. I will say, they ride WAY better than the OEM set up.

With that in mind, you cant go wrong with Bilstein. Again, anything is better than a tired F-Body suspension.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Teching In

At this point, i would love to buy a set of bilsteins, the only problem is the B12's come as a set with sportline springs, and im not sure were to get just the shocks..nor do i know what the part number for them is. They are designed specifically for the 1.4/1.6 drop which is the only way i would buy a shock since they will blow pretty quickly without proper settings for springs.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id wait for the konis. those things are awesome
Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

I would call Bilstein (1-858-386-5900), tell them what springs you have, and see what they can do. Shocks can't do magic though, those springs are soft and there is too little suspension travel with them. I wouldn't be surprised if you were dragging your collectors and Y all over the place, to go with the crappy ride.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see where you said you contacted Strano. His springs are just as good or better than the BMR anyway. He wasn't giving his away like BMR, but he did have a spring/Koni sale.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't understand why you're bashing BMR when you were the one who wanted to order last minute, that's not their fault. With a sale like that you might not get your stuff right away if you order last minute.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Launching!

They also stated they were backordered in both of their sale threads. There isn't a shock that will make those sportlines ride good. Top of the line is konis, next is bilsteins. I think best prices for bilsteins are strano.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PGUFF
They also stated they were backordered in both of their sale threads. There isn't a shock that will make those sportlines ride good. Top of the line is konis, next is bilsteins. I think best prices for bilsteins are strano.
Yes Strano has the best price on the Blistens. I would wait for the Koni's but if not the only other shock I would consider would be the Blistens on a street application. However, just about anything is going to be an improvement if your rocking stock DeCarbons with 165k on them.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

I've read comments that were pretty negative about sportslines and konis together.

Might be helpful:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ously-low.html
Old 06-02-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a good read on shocks.http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html
A lot to read, but really gives an understanding of the good shocks...Penskes, Konis and Bilsteins.

Last edited by maxgee; 06-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Some Suspension mod advice