Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Other Shock Options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other Shock Options?

Hey All,

Looking for new shocks for my 96 TA. Already have BMR springs and will be a daily driver.

I know all the standard options, Koni, KYB, Blistien, QA1 and Edlebrock... but is there anything else to look at.. Did a search and found a few but looking for more options...

Thanks!!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello, other than the ones you have already mentioned the Tokico HP series are another brand to consider. They are not adjustable but have proven to work very well with our lowering springs. Do you ever take your car to the track or is it just a daily driver? Your plans for the car will help in your shock choice. If you want to give me a call we can go over your options. We offer the Tokico's along with Strange and QA1.
Attached Thumbnails Other Shock Options?-tokicoshocks_small.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

No track just a daily driver.. forgot to include those in my list...
Old 10-14-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

There are better options than Tokicos that you already have listed above.

The 'standard' options pretty much have proven what they will and won't do for you. Why pick something you have no idea what it will or won't do? As always if you have the money get Konis...if you don't then it is whatever you can settle for.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Tokico :http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

KYB AGX: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

SLP Bilstein: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

Bilstein HD: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

Of course, Koni's which are way better than those....
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bilstein - SLP or HD???

Bilstein SLP or Bilstein HD???

Ok, not to hijack, but when we spoke over the phone yesterday, I did not recall you mentioning two (2) seperate Bilstein options; so, this begs the question: Given that they are priced equally, which one is "better" and why?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone...

my understanding was that the HD's did not work very well on lowered cars, how about the SLP? Will probaly end up with the Koni's if I can swing them...

What would be everyones 2nd choice?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Dirty secret is they are very much the same the Bilstein's. I've made no bones about the fact I don't personally feel they are right for lowering springs... but many others want to argue. This person was just asking about other options, not for details. Those I'm happy to give on the phone, but I can't give every detail about every part to every person...

Koni's are the best shocks, period. If you have lowering springs, they are even better. Bilstein's are great for stock springs if you aren't looking to have control over what the car feels like. The quality is there, the damping is decent. Tokico's aren't horrific, but they are built to a price and the price isn't enough less than Bilstein that I can say it's great bang for the buck. AGX's are 'tweeners. Adjustable, but not the best adjuster around.... But I'd much sooner use those than say a set of QA1's.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Yea-QA1s shouldnt even be considerd. Pricing aside-Look at the body and working internals of the shocks. I was on QA1s and at first they were better the stockers. I am now on Strano springs and Konis-Was lucky to get them when he had a sale-. The QA1s were trashed after like a year or so. They are not bad for a light weight car. But you need a better working shock for our hefty cars. Sam Strano does this full time and wont steer you in wrong dirrection. There is a reason alot on here refer to his advice. But for a daily driver you probly dont need a shock with so many options. So your driving style may be intall them-and work with your current spring set and go.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to Strano,he is the man who knows.Since you have BMR springs I wouldn't consider anything but the koni's if you can swing it.If you were on stock springs and can't afford the koni's,I would say get the slp bilsteins.With those springs it will ride like crap if you don't get really good shocks.Better to spend the money on the koni's.They are the best bar none.You will be glad you spent the money in the end.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

I have slp belsiens, car lowered 1.4" with b&g springs which aren't supper aggressive. And a rear shocks r blown already. I'm savin up for konis. Should have gotten them the first time out.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

To be fair, I doubt they are "blown" and would probably work just fine with stock springs. But I have no doubt they are showing a lack of damping control because of the springs.