Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks

When I bought my 02 SS it had the air shocks installed in the rear.( the previous owner had them installed so when he ran a bigger tire it would not scrub wheel well.)

Kind that have pump and release all in the car.

I wanna change them back to a standard type shock but what kind can I get that will ride decent without spending an arm and a leg.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what you are after. I see folks selling the original OE shocks on ebay and this forum all the time and cheap. Or you could look into the kyb or monroe shock, they have been around for a while and cheap at summit 25-35bucks. Or you could get adjustables just depends on what you want. The rear shocks on these cars can get as cheap or as expensive as you want.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dabom75
When I bought my 02 SS it had the air shocks installed in the rear.( the previous owner had them installed so when he ran a bigger tire it would not scrub wheel well.)

Kind that have pump and release all in the car.

I wanna change them back to a standard type shock but what kind can I get that will ride decent without spending an arm and a leg.
Do yourself a favor and don't go with just anything, search.
The stockers are horrible, I wouldn't spend a dime on them, actually I wouldn't take them for free...
I have yet to see someone that has monroes and not complain about them either breaking, or riding horrible.
When it comes to shocks, generally speaking, you get what you pay for. The autozone over-the-counter replacements will have you regretting the time and money spent. Go with atleast stranoparts spec bilstien's (different valving than the typical bilstien HDs, giving you better ride and handling).
But now this may present another problem, with good rear shocks you will come to realize that your car will feel like two different cars front and rear. The rear will ride much better, and stay planted while the front will slams on bumps and floats around. Your best bet is to get matching front and rear shocks, you will thank me later for this.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

cheap-ish, decent performance, and stock height: go with bilsteins

great performance all around, for stock height or lowered: koni
Old 10-14-2009, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys wil price Bilsteins and Koni and see which I like better and fits in the budget best.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice above! I suggest just calling Sam Strano and he will get you the best shock for your application and $$$ spent..........I know you mentioned the word budget but I can't resist though get a SET of KONI'S!!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Been looking and gonna get just something to get me by right now so I can drive it until I can save and get the Koni.

Would these be ok as a get me by kind of thing but yet be decent shocks?

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/p...o-and-Firebird
Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i bought konis from sam strano. i too was not looking to spend alot of money but im glad i did.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Sam he is the man. He may actually suggest Tockico Blue's for you. You will live with this decision for a while and it CAN make a big difference in how your car drives so just make an informed decision...
Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I personally like the yellow bilstiens with the upgraded SLP suspension. They handle way better then DeCarbon orange OEM shocks and they are reasonably priced.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am tossing QA1's all around as this car has now slanted toward the 1/4mi. Drag sway bar is going on today....
Old 10-15-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Dabom75, what color are your front shocks? Orange or yellow/blue? Some 35th LE cars came with SLP's upgraded Bilstein package.

If you have yellow/blue call SLP and get a new set of rear Bilsteins for your car.

If your fronts are orange, find a set of low mileage OEM shocks for cheap and run them until you can afford a nice setup like the SLP Bilstein/Eibach package.

FYI, I have a set of rear OEM factory GM rear shocks in excellent shape (only 40k miles on them). Shoot me an offer and we'll go from there.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I personally like the yellow bilstiens with the upgraded SLP suspension. They handle way better then DeCarbon orange OEM shocks and they are reasonably priced.

I just installed the SLP setup on mine and it's a night and day difference with no compromises what so ever.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dabom75
Been looking and gonna get just something to get me by right now so I can drive it until I can save and get the Koni.

Would these be ok as a get me by kind of thing but yet be decent shocks?

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/p...o-and-Firebird
Too much money for those, when you can get these adjustables for under $30 each +9.95 S&H, and set them at 50/50.
SUMMIT part # SUM-G7700 (tho not listed/updated in their online catalog), I
called Tech support and confirmed they fit '98-'02 F-Bodies.

I bought these rear shocks for my '01 No Adder Formula. Drive 55 miles one way to the track w/ the A/C on, go 11's w/DR's and 1.65 -1.67 60 fts. and drive it home.
Great bang for the buck shock for your current budget, and adjustable too! 50/50, 60/40 & 70/30.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=g7700&dds=1

They may likely be repackaged part #C2700
from Competition Engineering/Moroso ? like these:

http://www.competitionengineering.co...10032&pt=c2700

When my Stocker OEM's went Dead at around 34k miles, I was going to go
QA1, KYB Adustable or Strange, but the LS1 Guru's down here in SE Fla. said don't waste your money, with my type of setup. Just don't buy anything Made In China. (no quality compared to made in USA or Japan made like KYB's.

Good Luck whatever you do.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea.. Bilstein or Koni. I myself wanted a set of either them, but couldnt cause of my budget. Instead I went Monroe all around, but the rear shocks, squeaked horribly, then Decided to go with Gabriel Air Shocks. Im happy with my air shocks. I know they are nothing like Bilstein or koni, but what the heck. Theres always a later for something better. =]
Old 10-20-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with the Competion Engineering 3-Way Adj. Drag shocks in the rear. They really helped out hooking up at the track.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

I am not planning on making mine a strip car. I wanna keep it street car but maybe a few add ons just for a little extra get up and go and a really nice sound.

So knowing that should I still be looking at Koni's or is that overboard?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts

Im so ******* baffled right now. All of you own a piece of american history and ya talking about a ******* budget? Why own the car if you can't do what you want with it. If your struggling to get by, obviously you've made the wrong decision on the car. I'm my opinion, you need to save some money and treat your car to the right parts. The expensive **** that leaves no compromises.

Treat that ******* car like you love it, not like you'll love it tomorrow but for now your ganna put some **** from the poor mans club on to you car that treats you so well?

Maybe I'm wrong. But really, Save the money, you wont regret it. You will regret however buying some cheap *** shocks and thinking there ganna "hold ya over" til you get some bilsteins. Buy the bilsteins when you have the money.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Well right now I cannot afford bilsteins and the left rear air shock is blown so I have to get something to "hold me over" that is why I want something from the "poor man's club" so I can at least enjoy it while saving the money.

Not meaning to sound like a dick but your post was uncalled for when I asked a simple question.

I am still learning all I can and yes when you are on a fixed budget and all the extra cash you had is now going to insurance and car payment then sometimes you have to settle for what can " get you by for now"
Old 10-21-2009, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
Im so ******* baffled right now. All of you own a piece of american history and ya talking about a ******* budget? Why own the car if you can't do what you want with it. If your struggling to get by, obviously you've made the wrong decision on the car. I'm my opinion, you need to save some money and treat your car to the right parts. The expensive **** that leaves no compromises.

Treat that ******* car like you love it, not like you'll love it tomorrow but for now your ganna put some **** from the poor mans club on to you car that treats you so well?

Maybe I'm wrong. But really, Save the money, you wont regret it. You will regret however buying some cheap *** shocks and thinking there ganna "hold ya over" til you get some bilsteins. Buy the bilsteins when you have the money.
I say. Why bring negativity. Mr big shot over here. Look man not everyone is the same, having the money and doing whatever to your car. Yea I believe that was uncalled for. I dont care if I have the bilsteins or not, as long as my car is running from point A to B. Let me ask you this, if your so bothered because of us owning American history, But having a budget problem, why not help us out with some cash huh? Thats my motto. Either way, Im happy with my car, With my MONROE front shocks, and My GABRIEL Air shocks at rear.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Finkledbody

I dont know you, but this post makes you seem like a complete moron. Maybe you grew up with everything handed to you, who knows. But in the REAL world people have REAL expenses that affect life greater than how your fbody rides in the rear. Trust me I wish I could buy all the most expensive parts right now and go to town on my car, but things dont just work out that way. A BUDGET is in no way anything to mock, quite the opposite. If you cant resist blowing all your money on a new setup yet cant pay rent, you have a serious problem.

As for the shocks, Ive been very happy with the 3/4 Konis. If your looking for something temporary, why replace the air ride to begin with? If you insist on using something temporary find some crappy decarbons for free and throw them on until your ready to go with Konis (or whatever you decide on). The rear shocks are easy enough to swap out anyways.

What kind of air setup are you currently running?

Quick Reply: Shocks