TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best lca

what is the best lcas for the money...
Old 11-23-2009, 05:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

If you are looking good priced and good quality rear control arm we offer a set for $99. They are available in reod or black powder coat, feature greaseable Energy Suspension bushings and are TIG welded. This set can be seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2015

If you are not sure which set is best for your application please let me know and I will be glad to help.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

It depends
Old 11-23-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28bryan
It depends
exactly.

"best" is a relative term. this is my opinion:

for budget/drag/street: poly/poly tubular or boxed

for handling/road racing/autox: rod/rod adjustable

for handling/road racing/autox/street: poly/rod adjustable

basically if you want to go for handling you want a rod end on at least one side to avoid bind. this usually means adjustable and more expensive. also rod ends more harsh. for daily drivers poly/rod is a good compromise. there's also a poly/poly set available that has a 3 piece bushing in one side that reduces bind yet keeps streetability and price reasonable, but i can't post a link because it's a non-sponsor.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree you don't want bind, I think most do.

FWIW, I don't agree that the 3-piece all poly type work all that well, for one simple reason. Urethane is sticky, which is why it needs greased where say delrin doesn't. Having a urethane ball trapped between two urethane races isn't the greatest idea. Well, the idea is fine, but functionally it certainly binds more than a rod-end or any type of joint that has a metal ball and/or delrin parts.

FWIW, YMMV. Again, great idea on paper, but functionally has limitations. And at that point I'd recommend some solid rubber 1LE type LCA bushings instead which are cheaper yet.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

Here are a few new control arms we have coming out this week. These are an excellent alternative for rod ends since they eliminate bind but feature a delrin race. The delrin race is designed to absorb shock and road noise for a quiet and smooth operation.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I've been waiting patiently for these to arrive, and I know that UMI has been working on them for a long time, trying to get them just right. Hell, I remember holding prototypes in my hand years ago!

I can't wait, because I think this is much more durable solution than rod-ends, and quieter too. In fact, I so can't wait I already added an announcement the to front of my website about them.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will single adjoustable be offered too? Poly-derlin?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

asking best LCA is like asking whats the best cam, you are gonna get a million different answers/responses. i personally went with BMR poly/poly LCA's and i love them! makes a huge difference. you need to be more specific on your application though, is it a drag car? street car? DD? how often do you go to the track, what size tire are you wanting to run. theres a lot of variables. but if its a DD/street car, i say BMR poly/poly non adj, it is cheap, effective, and a awesome product
Old 11-24-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

good point on the 3 piece poly sam, never really thought about it i guess.

UMI, that looks like a nice design. been looking for an alternative to rod ends. my last set of rod ends died pretty quickly since my car is my daily in NJ haha. maybe i'll try a set of those next time. i'll be looking online for pricing soon.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Cumbias
Will single adjoustable be offered too? Poly-derlin?
Yes they will be. However do to the larger size of the Roto-Joint the ability to shorten the single adjustable control arms is limited. Because of this we are redesigning the single adjustable control arms and hope to have them out tomorrow as well with the rest of the items.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Spohn with del-sphere ends a while back. I replaced UMI with poly ends, which definitely changed the way the car came out of the hole at the drag strip, but which I felt had a negative impact on handling.

I think it's woth the extra money to get the newest technology in this case.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up to UMI for addressing a problem with F-body control arm designs. The old Poly-Poly where the worst thing for a street driven car you could do, great for straight line racing but for driving on the street it binds and puts to much stress on the control arm boxes. if you went with Rod-rod the noise drove you nuts and rod ends have to be relaced in time, again great for racing only.
Sam hit it on the head by saying the best street arm is the good old 1LE soild bushing arms and cheap too.
I made my own set of arms using a 1LE bushing on one end and a Currie Johnnie joint on the other. Not perfect but a great compromise for DD street car and going to the track. Would have went with the UMI new design but didn't know about them until after I made mine. OH Well!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
good point on the 3 piece poly sam, never really thought about it i guess.

UMI, that looks like a nice design. been looking for an alternative to rod ends. my last set of rod ends died pretty quickly since my car is my daily in NJ haha. maybe i'll try a set of those next time. i'll be looking online for pricing soon.
I spoke with Sam on this set up.
I have the 3 piece set you're refering to and I do believe it's better than stock but the design UMI has coming out is a better execution of the design. I'll be making the switch as part of my overall new suspension package also.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'd only be really ok with all poly on a drag car, because on the street you want/need your rear axle to articulate freely... and all poly bushed arms don't let that happen because nothing wants to move, not the arm, not the bushing.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'd only be really ok with all poly on a drag car, because on the street you want/need your rear axle to articulate freely... and all poly bushed arms don't let that happen because nothing wants to move, not the arm, not the bushing.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

They said it was to help with the binding during cornering but now that I'm better educated I can see what you're saying and it would work better in Drag applications.

Here's the 100k question. If you dont go with the double roto ends and go with a poly/roto end you'll have some type of binding on the poly end. So at that point you're sacraficing less binding for a more quiet ride.
Second part: If I was to go with the double roto ended LCA and there is less binding and the LCA's are free'd up, how much rotation/play will there now be in the rear end and now how important is the role of the PHB to keep the rear end feeling planted vs having it feel like it's rotating? am I making sence here, just trying to understand this prior to purchase.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The LCA's add no lateral control, regardless of which bushings or ends are being used, so you have no worries about suddenly having more movement than you did before.

If you want to see for yourself, just put the car on ramps, disconnect one end of the PHB and shake the body. It moves about a mile each way without a lateral control device, be it a PHB or a Watts link

Old 11-24-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Here are a few new control arms we have coming out this week. These are an excellent alternative for rod ends since they eliminate bind but feature a delrin race. The delrin race is designed to absorb shock and road noise for a quiet and smooth operation.

Will you be selling just the rod ends?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
Will you be selling just the rod ends?
Yes they will be. They are priced at $44.99 each and available for both control arms and panhard bars in left and right hand threads.

Quick Reply: whats the best lca