Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question about lowering springs.and front struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about lowering springs.and front struts

Well i have my mind set on purchasing some lowering springs soon to drop the car a little bit to prepare it for the wheel tire combo coming.But upon discussing this with a friend he says were the car has struts on the front that springs along will not lower it..I have the stock struts from the factory on the car and was almost 100 percent positive a set of lowering springs would lower the car all the way around.

He may have heard wrong but i thought i would post just to make sure,I also am looking into some new struts for the front as mine are shot and ride like ***,So any ideas on what would be a good way to go would be appreciated.Not looking to spend a ridiculous amount to drop the car 1.25-1.5 inches. and have it ride a little better because it is a daily driver that sees some track time
Old 11-21-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1chris
Well i have my mind set on purchasing some lowering springs soon to drop the car a little bit to prepare it for the wheel tire combo coming.But upon discussing this with a friend he says were the car has struts on the front that springs along will not lower it..I have the stock struts from the factory on the car and was almost 100 percent positive a set of lowering springs would lower the car all the way around.

He may have heard wrong but i thought i would post just to make sure,I also am looking into some new struts for the front as mine are shot and ride like ***,So any ideas on what would be a good way to go would be appreciated.Not looking to spend a ridiculous amount to drop the car 1.25-1.5 inches. and have it ride a little better because it is a daily driver that sees some track time
First and foremost our cars do not have struts, they are coil over shocks, 3rd gens had struts.
Next you friend is wrong, all that is required to lower the car (whether a car with struts or not) is springs.
And lastly if you want both good ride quality and to be lowered you will need to spend a little but of money on shocks that can dampen the springs correctly, you wont be finding them at autozone...
Old 11-21-2009, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
First and foremost our cars do not have struts, they are coil over shocks, 3rd gens had struts.
Next you friend is wrong, all that is required to lower the car (whether a car with struts or not) is springs.
And lastly if you want both good ride quality and to be lowered you will need to spend a little but of money on shocks that can dampen the springs correctly, you wont be finding them at autozone...
pretty sure theyre McPherson struts...definitely not coil overs from the factory...

but ya, springs is all u need
Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

well from my my mod list you can tell i dont buy my products from autozone ,not that they would be anything wrong with that .I was just unsure of because when looking for replacement fronts it brings up shocks and struts so i was not sure as i have not ever replaced them . i plan to spend around 400-500 for shocks and springs
Old 11-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Teching In

A strut integrates numerous different suspension parts into one assembly. This includes:

The Coil Spring

The Spring Seats

The Shock Absorber

The Strut Bearing

The Steering Knuckle

The shock absorber portion of the strut is the most commonly serviced part of the strut assembly.
The top of the strut attaches to the body in place of an upper control arm.

A coilover shock incorporates the shock and spring only.

4th gen F-bodies use a coilover shock. The spindle carries the bearings, brakes and steering knuckle and is attached to the upper control arm with a ball joint.

Mark
Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Sorry, but they are front coil-over shocks.
McPherson struts attach to the spindles, and take the place of a upper A-arm.

Yes, all you need is lowering springs to lower your car.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1chris
well from my my mod list you can tell i dont buy my products from autozone ,not that they would be anything wrong with that .I was just unsure of because when looking for replacement fronts it brings up shocks and struts so i was not sure as i have not ever replaced them . i plan to spend around 400-500 for shocks and springs
I suggest you be prepared to spend a few hundred more if you want decent parts because suspension components esp. shocks is some where you don't want to skimp. Do your research, you'll find there is a reason why a large number of us on here have Strano Springs and Koni Shocks.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

i have contacted sam also ,i plan to run what he suggest but i just think the Koni's are a little over kill for my set up at this time though.They are a damn good product no doubt though.Im starting to really like the springs he has .
Old 11-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

i have the stock SS shocks and i bought the bmr lowering package 1.25" drop and i couldnt be happier, still rides smooth as hell and get a nice drop and i dont scrape at all