Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 04-25-2016, 05:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Anyone run lowering springs on stock shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone run lowering springs on stock shocks?

i got some springs and plan on running stock shocks for now, my car is an m6 and i drive it regularly during the summer and rarely when its cold. i don't track it much but plan to get a rear this summer. my other suspension mods are sfc's lower control arm, panhard,and sway bar. im camd and sprayd and at 505/538 now. i am trying to save loot where i can and if possible would like to spend loot for car elsewhere besides shocks..... should i get new drag orientated ones or keep my factory ones, thanks in advance for yalls info/help
The following users liked this post:
strikeone (06-19-2023)
Old 01-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Launching!

Don't Do It!

You can, but you'll notice it more and more every time you drive it that the ride get stiffer and more jarring.

Buy some NEW shocks and start with a clean slate.

Or run your stockers to the limit, and then buy new shocks.

I prefer the 1st method so you don't bottom out everywhere.
strikeone (06-19-2023)
Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people do, i personally wouldnt.
1. your ride will suffer alot
2. the installs kindof a pain in the ***; id only wanna do it once

if your trying to save some bread, id upgrade the front shocks while your doing the spring swap and then add the rears later on (theyre much more easily replaced).
Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 AM
Teching In

i got a set of shocks/springs for an ls1 they're 1.5 drop though
Old 01-08-2010, 07:09 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
I would suggest as well as shock a set of lower control arm relocation brackets will gain you back traction performance and allow you to adjust the LCA back to the stock location. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...239c4im822qn44

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Launching!

does anyone in here run the relocation brackets? i wo nt be able to get a rear right now but this summer i will so i guess i got to buy them twice. i am going to get a set of cheap shocks i guess.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Teching In

I tried to run stock shocks with the Eibach Pro Kit and it was a total disaster. If you use stock shocks they will not last long because they are not designed/valved to work with any aftermarket lowering springs and your ride quality will be absolutely terrible. A great shock that I currently use on my 99 Z is the SLP Bilstein. It's non adjustable but offers great feel as a daily driver or for race applications. You'd probably be better off going off on a route like that as opposed to the stockers. I've got the BMR bolt-in relocation brackets and they work great.
strikeone (06-19-2023)
Old 01-08-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the SLP Bilsteins from Summit for less than $400.00, you'll wish you'd gotten them. I ran the stockers and the car handled and rode miserably. You won't be sorry you spent the extra money instead of having to redo the whole thing.

The stock shocks will not work well lowered because shocks are designed to work within a travel range and if they are alreay compressed then they will not function properly. The stockers are designed for the stock ride height and only that height. All shocks are that way honestly so you really need a shock that is designed for the ride height of the vehicle. Trust me, I learned this the hard way...
strikeone (01-28-2023)
Old 01-08-2010, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Someone said this to me once..

Look at all the money you spent on geting your car to teh 500+ hp..Your suspension is just as important if not more than a good runing motor. Dont spare any money here. Do it right do it once.

Look at the Strano/Koni set ups. I plan on it when I get some more money..best for all around aps!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Launching!

y'all are right, ima get some shocks and quit being a cheapo, i got some summit springs 1.5/1.2 what all around budget springs to go with those? bilstein???

sorry for all the ?'s im new to the suspension game
Old 01-08-2010, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

If you got the Summit brand springs, then from what I understand, you got the Eibach Pro-Kit...I think I heard they were blemished Eibach's sold to Summit re-branded. I HAD a Pro-Kit and it was the WORST mod I had ever done. I went with stock replacement Gabriel shocks and it got to the point that I HATED driving the car. The ride was VERY rough and handling was unpredictable. I decided to spend the money and go with the Koni/Strano set-up and the car is just simply awesome to drive! I NEVER thought I would drop that kind of money on something that didn't make more HP, but after completely destroying my car's ride/handling, I learned the hard way that going the cheap route is NOT the way to go when it comes to springs & shocks. I had to spend the money twice and do the install twice...I wish I had taken the advice that's common around here, but I too thought "how bad could it be if I go the cheap route?" and unfortunately, I found out...
Old 01-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks man, they are already bought so hopefully I can live with them, if they get too bad I will switch tho. Ima get a set of good shocks and see how they work together.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
If you got the Summit brand springs, then from what I understand, you got the Eibach Pro-Kit...I think I heard they were blemished Eibach's sold to Summit re-branded. I HAD a Pro-Kit and it was the WORST mod I had ever done. I went with stock replacement Gabriel shocks and it got to the point that I HATED driving the car. The ride was VERY rough and handling was unpredictable. I decided to spend the money and go with the Koni/Strano set-up and the car is just simply awesome to drive! I NEVER thought I would drop that kind of money on something that didn't make more HP, but after completely destroying my car's ride/handling, I learned the hard way that going the cheap route is NOT the way to go when it comes to springs & shocks. I had to spend the money twice and do the install twice...I wish I had taken the advice that's common around here, but I too thought "how bad could it be if I go the cheap route?" and unfortunately, I found out...
Not to "rip" you, but the Eibach pro-kit wasn't the worst mod you made, it was teaming them with the Gabriel shocks. I put the Eibach springs in my '96 Z-28 in the car back in the winter of '95-'96, while the car was off the road. I figured since the OE shocks were essentially brand new, it should be OK. Well, it worked, sort of, as the car dropped the advertised 1.25", but the ride wasn't all that great.

A couple of years later, I had a few extra bucks laying around, so I put a set of the SLP Bilsteins in the car and the ride improved quite a bit....
Old 01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6

You bought "replacement stock shocks" and then blame the Eibachs?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did for a while and it road like crap.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr CHI
You bought "replacement stock shocks" and then blame the Eibachs?
Eibach "claims" their springs work with the stock shocks, so it would stand to reason that they would also work with new stock replacement shocks. Yes, they do work with stock shocks...just not very well.

...and let's not forget about the sagging problems the LS1 Pro-Kits have, and that has nothing to do with the shocks, that's just a weak spring...

Also, the LT1 Pro-Kit is different from the LS1 Pro-Kit...the LT1 Pro-Kit is actually a better product, so the comparison on the '96 isn't apples to apples with the LT1 vs LS1 Pro-Kit.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking from current experience, the Eibach Prokit combined with the stock shocks rides pitifully. Perhaps if my stock shocks weren't on their last leg the ride quality would be improved, but by how much I don't know.

Personally, it would be tough for me to drop the kind of coin necessary to pick up a shock/spring combo like Koni's/Strano's, but something will be replacing my worn stock shocks in the very near future.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Most know I sell and prefer Koni... I also sell KYB AGX, Bilstein and Tokico too (and a few other options like Edelbrock and KW. I've got the options about covered.

My springs aren't in the end priced that much differently than any other set when you consider the free shipping. Shocks are something we could discuss if you wish. Most of the time it'll be some sort of Bilstein or maybe AGX's, more rarely Tokico.

And frankly with stock shocks that are trashed--most anything will be worlds better. But the trick is, for how long? And how much better?
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-12-2010, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

take it from me, one who did the same thing your considering and was told not to, it sux *****!! it rides rough as hell and makes driving the car miserable. i had hotchkis paired with worn out stock shocks Do yourself a favor, bite the bullet, buy the proper shock/spring combo now and the car will ride 10x better. Trust me, talk to sam strano, hell get you going in the right direction.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Most know I sell and prefer Koni... I also sell KYB AGX, Bilstein and Tokico too (and a few other options like Edelbrock and KW. I've got the options about covered.

My springs aren't in the end priced that much differently than any other set when you consider the free shipping. Shocks are something we could discuss if you wish. Most of the time it'll be some sort of Bilstein or maybe AGX's, more rarely Tokico.

And frankly with stock shocks that are trashed--most anything will be worlds better. But the trick is, for how long? And how much better?
sam will the bilstein HD shocks work with your springs or are those just ment for stock ride height? better off with the revalved ones or koni's over the HD?

Quick Reply: Anyone run lowering springs on stock shocks?