Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment (are these specs ok)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

pimp boys could NOT do my alignment.....had to go to the dealer...same price............but i had to pay twice for a alignment
Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
pimp boys could NOT do my alignment.....had to go to the dealer...same price............but i had to pay twice for a alignment
Don't worry, I didn't take my car to "that place" for an alignment! It was done by the same place that did my tires (and I've trusted them for many years anytime I needed tires, or remounting wheels). Still puzzled though since my car drives perfectly straight, but with the cross-caster at 1.5* (tire shop told me there is nothing wrong with the car, couldn't explain why he had to adjust it that way, but did correct the pulling/drifting issue the first time I took it to them). Car does not wander at all, really does not feel like anything is wrong right now.

Just thought of something -- is it possible one of my wheels are different than the others (siince I did buy a second set of the factory GM 16x8 chrome wheels from a dealer, and yes I made sure all 4 were of the same part number for my 1997 Formula)? Although they all look the same, and no dents/blemishes.

The only thing I had done differently this time around was getting them balanced with clamps on the inside, and stick-on's toward the outside (I previously had just clamps on the inside).

I guess someday I will have to try rotating the tires and see what happens (I tried to get the tire place to do that, but they told me if it was radial pull I would've felt a much stronger "pull" rather than a "slight drift" as I felt before the alignment).

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 04-13-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally next time I had it aligned I would go to 0 toe, max negative camber. and a more even caster. Closer to 5*. I autocross so that's where a lot of that comes from. but the toe in will make the car feel numb and the camber settings will make it turn different left to right. The max camber I could get out of mine was -.5* which isn't near enough for these cars but the class I run in will not allow for any modifications to get more camber. And if you spend a lot of time in the interstate, especially in the fast lane the large caster stagger will make the car pull hard left if your are on the left side of the crown.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Quick update (not much of one).

By now, I've put just over 2000 miles on the tires. Still driving good and straight with no drifting or pulling, and still very enjoyable at 60-80+ mph. No real signs of excessive wear either.

And yes, I learned that too much toe-in can make the steering feel numb (which is why I asked them to readjust the toe closer to the "before" settings, from .15 to .03)
Old 12-02-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
Quick update (not much of one).

By now, I've put just over 2000 miles on the tires. Still driving good and straight with no drifting or pulling, and still very enjoyable at 60-80+ mph. No real signs of excessive wear either.

And yes, I learned that too much toe-in can make the steering feel numb (which is why I asked them to readjust the toe closer to the "before" settings, from .15 to .03)
Yeah toe in helps straightline stability and reduces tendency to turn in while tow out is the opposite.

The camber specs were sort of interesting. Most of the time people run a half degree more on the right to keep these cars from pulling due to road crown. If your car is driving how you like it and the tires are not wearing funny then I suppose it isn't a big deal.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Yeah toe in helps straightline stability and reduces tendency to turn in while tow out is the opposite.

The camber specs were sort of interesting. Most of the time people run a half degree more on the right to keep these cars from pulling due to road crown. If your car is driving how you like it and the tires are not wearing funny then I suppose it isn't a big deal.
FYI, it's the caster, not camber.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to find somebody willing to take the time to get some exact specs. It can take 30min-1 hour for them to get it right. You want to run slight negative camber (-0.5) you can get away with this small amount and not have to worry about wear, trust me I have -1.0 on my DD and the tires have worn perfectly even with these settings and car has no pull.

Camber -0.5
Caster - As much positive as possible but as close to even on both sides as possible. My car is able to run 6.5 + but a stock F-body will hit about 5.0-5.5 with the slight negative camber.
Toe- 0.0 - The toe is what will DESTROY a tire very quickly. I had a set of 300 rating kuhmo street tires wear out in 3500 miles because the alignment shop left -.1 toe in on my car. This is the most important thing you need them to get right. Set it at 0 degrees.

FYI- My old shop used to charge me double price to get my exact specs, now i found someone that does it for only 65$$$ and they get it dead on everytime.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
FYI, it's the caster, not camber.
Ha stupid post of the day from me... don't know why I put camber there
Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

XxWICKEDSSxX,

I know it is preferred to have a more even caster, but unfortunately my car was drifting to the left when the L-caster was at 4.7, R-caster at 4.2. Still driving nice with the current alignment setup and no drifting/pulling.

Quick Reply: Alignment (are these specs ok)?