Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

panhard bars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so how do i align the rear end? do i need to jack the car up? or can i adjust it with the car just sitting

i dont know much about suspension..
Old 02-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

HOW do you know how much to adjust ?... get a 4 wheel alignment?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Teching In

so what is the difference and disadvantage of double adjustable to single adjustable
Old 02-20-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

if you don't mind dishing out $650 get a watts link from strano parts!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...atts-link.html
Old 02-20-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The double adjustable can be adjusted while it's still on the car, where as the single rod ended versions have to be taken off to adjust it. You can adjust it by measuring how much of a gap you've got on both sides until its even. Best to do something like that with a plumbob.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

spend the $70 for a 4 wheel alignment at a real shop. its way more accurate and easier that way. otherwise, you have to jack the rear, support the frame and let the rear hang. tape a plumbob to the quarter panel. measure from the string to the flat part of the rim. repeat for the other side, and adjust as necessary.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
spend the $70 for a 4 wheel alignment at a real shop. its way more accurate and easier that way. otherwise, you have to jack the rear, support the frame and let the rear hang. tape a plumbob to the quarter panel. measure from the string to the flat part of the rim. repeat for the other side, and adjust as necessary.
+1

Just be sure to tell them that you've got an aftermarket adjustable PHB, otherwise they're going to argue up and down with you that you can't adjust that part... kinda like muffler shop people telling you that your 350 LS1 needs back-pressure and will get terrible MPG if you run 3" pipe
Old 02-20-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My UMI adj. panhard bar allowed me to recenter the rear after I had lowered it. It also gave me the clearance I needed to run wider rims/tires. A must for any lowered car.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

i dont really get how lowering it offsets the pan hard bar..? does someone have a diagram or pics to show me?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

id doesnt offset the PHB. it offsets the rear end. the factory bar is fixed, and set to run at stock ride height. when you lower the car with springs, since the stock PHB isnt adjustable, as the body lowers onto the rear, it will be forced to move over to the right slightly. its hard to explain without looking at it, and im sure there is a diagram somewhere online, but i dont have one. basically, the PHB has to be shorter to work with lowered springs, since there will be less distance between the body and the rear end. the PHB is what connects the body to the rear, and you can think of the body moving to the right, rather then the rear end moving to the left, without an adj. PHB.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Launching!

id doesnt offset the PHB. it offsets the rear end. the factory bar is fixed, and set to run at stock ride height. when you lower the car with springs, since the stock PHB isnt adjustable, as the body lowers onto the rear, it will be forced to move over to the right slightly. its hard to explain without looking at it, and im sure there is a diagram somewhere online, but i dont have one. basically, the PHB has to be shorter to work with lowered springs, since there will be less distance between the body and the rear end. the PHB is what connects the body to the rear, and you can think of the body moving to the right, rather then the rear end moving to the left, without an adj. PHB.
^He explained it exactly like it is. When you lower the car, the PH bar needs to be shorter. The only way to do that correctly is to get an adjustable PH bar. And lowering doesn't offset the PH bar, it offsets the rear end relative to the body.
If you can't visualize it, go out and look under your car and see how it all relates to each other, where the PH rod connects to the body, and then to the rear end. Think about what happens if you raise or lower the body and what that does to the rear end since the PH bar is fixed. You'll figure it out.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

ok i get it now. (my car is in storage so i cant look under the car till spring)

but i guess what still confuses me is lets say everything is stock in the rear of my camaro (which it is as of right now)...

when the suspension extends downward, based on this photo above.. wouldnt it slightly pull the rear axle to the right because of the radius length of the PHB coming to the right...

it is probably a slight movement but isnt it true?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713

ok i get it now. (my car is in storage so i cant look under the car till spring)

but i guess what still confuses me is lets say everything is stock in the rear of my camaro (which it is as of right now)...

when the suspension extends downward, based on this photo above.. wouldnt it slightly pull the rear axle to the right because of the radius length of the PHB coming to the right...

it is probably a slight movement but isnt it true?
Yup, and thats why the watts link exists:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=67&ModelID=7
Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

ok so if i bought this...

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2505

could i adjust it to the center when the car is sitting or would i still have to let the rear suspension hang to adjust it?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

extending down, yeah itll move right. but you never go down, in driving you most always compress the suspension, which will move the rear to the left.

and believe me, an $800 watts link is WAY overkill for street, and even the occasional autox or track day.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mammoth713
ok so if i bought this...

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2505

could i adjust it to the center when the car is sitting or would i still have to let the rear suspension hang to adjust it?
to adjust any PHB, you have to hang the rear end. 'on car' just means you dont have to remove the entire PHB to adjust it. you turn that nut in the middle instead.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

to adjust any PHB, you have to hang the rear end. 'on car' just means you dont have to remove the entire PHB to adjust it. you turn that nut in the middle instead.
gotcha

but wouldnt that not make sense to center the rear when its extended when 90% of the time the car will be near the "compressed" or "sitting" position? when driving...?

like i said earlier how a PHB drags the rear a little out of center if its compressed or extended.. so wouldnt it make sense to have it centered for the sittign position?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

not quite sure if i have the right assumption here or not but it seems your under the impression that you have to adjust it while the rear end is hanging (tires off the ground), with an on car adjustable this is not the case.

with an on car adjustable rod you bolt the rod into place and with the rear axle supported on jack stands (suspension loaded) you adjust the side to side clearance of the body over the axle, the axle isnt whats moving here the body moves left to right over the axle

now if you wanted to you could sit in the car and have someone else adjust it to have it dead center with your weight in the car but the difference for the phb is going to be pretty much unoticable
Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by twelver12
not quite sure if i have the right assumption here or not but it seems your under the impression that you have to adjust it while the rear end is hanging (tires off the ground), with an on car adjustable this is not the case.

with an on car adjustable rod you bolt the rod into place and with the rear axle supported on jack stands (suspension loaded) you adjust the side to side clearance of the body over the axle, the axle isnt whats moving here the body moves left to right over the axle

now if you wanted to you could sit in the car and have someone else adjust it to have it dead center with your weight in the car but the difference for the phb is going to be pretty much unoticable
ok now its clear. thanks! i probably misread. so i can just bolt on the part and adjust it as necessary... i dont need an elaborate lift or anything..
Old 02-21-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

nope no lift necessary you can just put it on stands and swap em out

you should get directions with it just pay attention to them and you will be fine, takes about a half hour to swap them, adjusting them may take a bit longer but its pretty simple, once yo get it in the car turn it a few times and watch whats going on so you understand whats happening you will be able to see the side to side movement of the body over the axle while you are turning it

Quick Reply: panhard bars?