Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Literally JUST got done installing Watts Link

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Literally JUST got done installing Watts Link

Wow, there is a really big difference in the way the car starts and ends turns. It feels almost like it starts the turn before you start turning the wheel. For the most part, the install wasn't even really that hard. I still need to dial it in to my car and fine tune the thing, but i HIGHLY reccomend it, for what it's worth.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Did it add any cornering grip and in what way? What's the rest of your suspension set-up?

Vernon
Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Amazing isn't it? Almost hard to put into words how different the car feels. Goes to show how limiting the good 'ol Panhard bar setup really is.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Does a W/L 'kit' exist?

OK, I'll admit it - I didn't know what a "Watt's Link" was, but I found out with a couple of clicks...

Sounds like the best solution to keep the rear centered so the largest tires can be used w/o fear of rubbing at any time - cool!

So, this beggs the question, is there an F-Body Watt's Link kit? Or did you fab it up yourself?

LMK!

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
Wow, there is a really big difference in the way the car starts and ends turns. It feels almost like it starts the turn before you start turning the wheel. For the most part, the install wasn't even really that hard. I still need to dial it in to my car and fine tune the thing, but i HIGHLY reccomend it, for what it's worth.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Thanks for sharing. Did it add any cornering grip and in what way? What's the rest of your suspension set-up?

Vernon
The cornering is where you feel it the most. It feels similar to a really fast army tank in the way that it turns. The grip in the back makes it feel really planted on the ground. It still needs to be adjusted, so I can't quite speak for the full effect of the handling, but just testing it out and troubleshooting, you can tell the difference.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by great421
OK, I'll admit it - I didn't know what a "Watt's Link" was, but I found out with a couple of clicks...

Sounds like the best solution to keep the rear centered so the largest tires can be used w/o fear of rubbing at any time - cool!

So, this beggs the question, is there an F-Body Watt's Link kit? Or did you fab it up yourself?

LMK!
There is one for the F-body.... http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=67&ModelID=7

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just saw it on your site actually...

: )

So, given the fact that I just drive the car on the street and in the 1/4 mile, should I bother with something that costs 5 times as much as my brand new double adjustable Panrod bar? In other words, is the W/L for road racing only, while for street cars the cost isn't justified - or do the benefits (for ALL cars) outweigh the added costs - LMK!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Old 12-05-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by great421
I just saw it on your site actually...

So, given the fact that I just drive the car on the street and in the 1/4 mile, should I bother with something that costs 5 times as much as my brand new double adjustable Panrod bar? In other words, is the W/L for road racing only, while for street cars the cost isn't justified - or do the benefits (for ALL cars) outweigh the added costs - LMK!
Well, when i bought mine, Sam put it to me like this... I was going to buy a double adjustable panhard rod and a panhard rod relocation kit, then same said that with the about 400 i would be spending on the panhard setup, i could be getting so much more out of my suspension setup with only around 250 more. Since you already have your panhard rod, if you are happy with it, then keep it. You got the adjustable panhard rod for better handling, i am assuming, so why not just make your daily driver that much better?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well, UnZfeat'd probably said it as pointedly as I could... You don't need to take my word for it, he's a street only driver and clearly he feels the difference is huge. And if you look around there are other posts that indicate similiar feelings.

Is a Watts Cheap? No. But not much worth having is. Clearly a Watts link uses more parts, and isn't something that can be easily copied like a PHB, which is about a simple a part as one can imagine. And because of that design there are limitations. PHB's are used for cost only purposes, not because they work better.

And for those that don't know, a Watts link is not a new thing. It's only new for the f-body. In fact it's called a Watts link because the guy who invented it was James Watt (you know the inventor of the Steam Engine). He first came up wiht idea in 1784. Funny how it only took us some 225 years to apply it to an F-body. They've been around and in use for quite a while on other cars, largely when stability which can also effect ride is an issue. A big reason why both cars like Ford Crown Victoria's and Chrysler PT Cruisers use them, but also why real race cars those run in the Australian V8 Supercar series also use them.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default A little more info, please! : )

S/S & UnZfeat'd -

I really appreciate all the information.

I did not know that UnZfeat'd's vehicle was (like mine) a street car; given the expense ($650) I thought / wrongly assumed that his car had to be a track car or a track and street car, not a daily driver.

Currently, I have 2002 17X9.5 WS6 rims on my 96 Formula, with Goodyear G1 / GS 275 / 40 /17s on it but, because of my newly hyper-secured rear-end (due to $800 of UMI stuff added about a month ago!) - my tires no longer hook up as now ALL of the torque that my LT1/4 produces is transferred to the rear wheels!

(This, IMHO, is a 'good' problem to have!)

Anyway - I've been looking at picking up a set of two 17 X 11 ZR1 wheels so I can mount those 315 / 35 / 17 monsters and get an additional 80 mm ([315 - 275] x 2) of rubber on the road. I've also considered getting some Bullet Specialies 15 x 10's and putting some "Sticky Mickeys" back there too. Either way, those folks that have done such a thing make reference to using a BFH to 'contour' the inner wheelwells - a thing I'd like to avoid.

So, if I can 'get away' with using my current setup / PRB on the street and NOT worry about rubbing, then I'll go with that; however, if this W/L is the only sure way to keep the rear end centered at all times with some 315 mm tires on the back, I may just need to bite the bullet and spend more $$$.

A little long-winded, I know, but now you know my situation - Your thoughts?

LMK!!!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by UnZfeat'd
Well, when i bought mine, Sam put it to me like this... I was going to buy a double adjustable panhard rod and a panhard rod relocation kit, then same said that with the about 400 i would be spending on the panhard setup, i could be getting so much more out of my suspension setup with only around 250 more. Since you already have your panhard rod, if you are happy with it, then keep it. You got the adjustable panhard rod for better handling, i am assuming, so why not just make your daily driver that much better?
Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Well, UnZfeat'd probably said it as pointedly as I could... You don't need to take my word for it, he's a street only driver and clearly he feels the difference is huge. And if you look around there are other posts that indicate similiar feelings.

Is a Watts Cheap? No. But not much worth having is. Clearly a Watts link uses more parts, and isn't something that can be easily copied like a PHB, which is about a simple a part as one can imagine. And because of that design there are limitations. PHB's are used for cost only purposes, not because they work better.

And for those that don't know, a Watts link is not a new thing. It's only new for the f-body. In fact it's called a Watts link because the guy who invented it was James Watt (you know the inventor of the Steam Engine). He first came up wiht idea in 1784. Funny how it only took us some 225 years to apply it to an F-body. They've been around and in use for quite a while on other cars, largely when stability which can also effect ride is an issue. A big reason why both cars like Ford Crown Victoria's and Chrysler PT Cruisers use them, but also why real race cars those run in the Australian V8 Supercar series also use them.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

A Watts link is an expensive part, personally, i got it because i was rear ended, got a lot of money for it, and beefed up the part that got hit. For you, if you are just wanting it to run bigger tires, i have heard of other ways that are more cost effective, but if you want that aspect and some extra handlign, then you might want to look into a Watts Link. If you want one but aren't quite sure about it yet, just wait a little while, this is still a new part and there is sure to be a lot of info coming in about it as people install them. I have a 99 so i had to grind off my brake clips from my rear end and modify my swaybar spacers, but i talked to Jim Fay and he said that he would take into account those modifications for future manufacturing... PS... sorry again about calling you at midnight your time, Jim!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

sam is a wonderfull well educated person keep up the good work
Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

we need some pics, that other one is too small.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Sam,
will the Watts link work with any rear set up like a Fab 9" or just reguler style rear ends?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The WATTS LINK is the best lateral locator for the Fbody that money can buy as a KIT. Sam Strano is going to be the guy to hook you up if you are into it.

The only thing that is better than a Watts Link isn't made for the Fbody and is WAY more complex than a Watts. It would have to be totally custom fabbed as no one would ever make it as a kit.

It is called a Mumford Link.
After installed my Watts Link (thanks SAM!!) I did a lot of research into racing cars. I can only hope to build my own tube frame car which I will do my solid works models on it.

http://www.not2fast.com/chassis/mumford.shtml

The main disadvantage to the Mike Mumford link is that it is more complex, requires two mounting points, and you can't visually see where the RC is without some measurement. With the Watts link you can visually and directly see the RC as the RC is the bolt itself.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 12-06-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TNTramair
Sam,
will the Watts link work with any rear set up like a Fab 9" or just reguler style rear ends?
Will not work on the fabricated rears, only "Traditional" axle housings.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Launching!

ugh. More money to spend, I just read another link about this on a certain 3rd gen forum which made my head hurt.

Anyone else tried this, and had an adjustable PHB before? Forgive me for asking, I don't doubt Sam or the OP but from what I've read the adj. PHB is a tried and true product on the F-Body but this is a completely new product for the F-Body. You could say I'm not one of those who will jump into the pool unless someone else confirms that it's not freezing. Another thing I'm worried about is noise, I noticed this Watts link has rod-ended connectors. My car is my DD and the drone on the highway from my Flowmaster 80 alone makes me go crazy.

I've been saving up for my suspension setup, now there's a possibility that I'll have to invest another $500, if I want the best? It'd be nice to look forward to what the OP reported though, and to not have bump-steer. and not like it'll make or break the package otherwise, but is it available in black? If I had a white, black or red car I wouldn't mind red at all. But pewter and red.... ehh.

If anything, I honestly think I'll go adj. PHB then once more and more people confirm the product's worth, then I'll upgrade to that...
Old 12-13-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only real thing keeping me from doing this is knowing that at some point i'm going to break my 10bolt and that when it happens, i'll upgrade the rear.

is there any stronger rear that will work with this product?
Old 12-14-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
only real thing keeping me from doing this is knowing that at some point i'm going to break my 10bolt and that when it happens, i'll upgrade the rear.

is there any stronger rear that will work with this product?
I have it on the Moser 12 bolt with the traditional style housing. 3 in axle tubes.
As far as I know this will work with a 9 inch with 3 inch axle tubes.

The fabricated rear end is the only one it won't work with.

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
ugh. More money to spend, I just read another link about this on a certain 3rd gen forum which made my head hurt.

Anyone else tried this, and had an adjustable PHB before? Forgive me for asking,.............

Another thing I'm worried about is noise, I noticed this Watts link has rod-ended connectors. My car is my DD and the drone on the highway from my Flowmaster 80 alone makes me go crazy.

If anything, I honestly think I'll go adj. PHB then once more and more people confirm the product's worth, then I'll upgrade to that...
I have had a regular panhard bar, and adjustable one, and the watts link.

I felt little diff from regular to adj

from adj to watts was day and night.

no additional noise from watts link. none at all.

the watts link doesn't even get near my hooker catb exhuast. plenty of room. not sure about the people who have duals over the axle though.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of weight penalty for the Watts link? How much more will it weigh over the standard mild steel aftermarket panhard rod?

Quick Reply: Literally JUST got done installing Watts Link