Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Literally JUST got done installing Watts Link

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
ugh. More money to spend, I just read another link about this on a certain 3rd gen forum which made my head hurt.

Anyone else tried this, and had an adjustable PHB before? Forgive me for asking, I don't doubt Sam or the OP but from what I've read the adj. PHB is a tried and true product on the F-Body but this is a completely new product for the F-Body. You could say I'm not one of those who will jump into the pool unless someone else confirms that it's not freezing. Another thing I'm worried about is noise, I noticed this Watts link has rod-ended connectors. My car is my DD and the drone on the highway from my Flowmaster 80 alone makes me go crazy.

I've been saving up for my suspension setup, now there's a possibility that I'll have to invest another $500, if I want the best? It'd be nice to look forward to what the OP reported though, and to not have bump-steer. and not like it'll make or break the package otherwise, but is it available in black? If I had a white, black or red car I wouldn't mind red at all. But pewter and red.... ehh.

If anything, I honestly think I'll go adj. PHB then once more and more people confirm the product's worth, then I'll upgrade to that...
There are cetain people out there that just like to hear themselves talk. One of then is over on a certain 3rd gen site.

I think you answered your own question when you stated how coud have have tried on a 3rd or 4th gen F-body when one didn't exist until this one? And what's more they do exist for 2nd gets, which are leaf srprings cars, and the leafs do the lateral location. In that case there isn't a huge difference. And I'm quite sure that, assuming that moron isn't lying about having driven a Watts Link, it was probably on a 2nd gen which would not benefit.

Look, just google "watts link" and see what you get. You'll get plenty of feedback about them. Mostly from Mustang guys, because they've been out for those for a long time. And as much as some die-hards might not like this they are about the same weight and also use a solid axle (most of them anyway, those that don't can't use a Watts anyway).

Also, a reminder that this isn't some hairbrained thing someone just dreamt up. We're talking about a basic design well over 200 years old, and one that invented by James Watt (look him up if you don't know who he is.. but here's a hint: A lightbulb is rated in *watts*, and the dude invented the steam engine....).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
only real thing keeping me from doing this is knowing that at some point i'm going to break my 10bolt and that when it happens, i'll upgrade the rear.

is there any stronger rear that will work with this product?
The Watts link works with both stock and 3" axle tubed rears. Just doesn't work with FABRICATED housings. But any traditional style axle housing it'll bolt right to....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94FBIRD
What kind of weight penalty for the Watts link? How much more will it weigh over the standard mild steel aftermarket panhard rod?
See this post I made in another thread to answer you question:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/10547388-post10.html

Old 12-15-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And for those that don't know, a Watts link is not a new thing. It's only new for the f-body. In fact it's called a Watts link because the guy who invented it was James Watt (you know the inventor of the Steam Engine). He first came up wiht idea in 1784. Funny how it only took us some 225 years to apply it to an F-body. They've been around and in use for quite a while on other cars, largely when stability which can also effect ride is an issue. A big reason why both cars like Ford Crown Victoria's and Chrysler PT Cruisers use them, but also why real race cars those run in the Australian V8 Supercar series also use them.
Correct. I do believe they were being used on the Buick GN's before the f bodies.
Looks like a KILLER product!!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The Watts link works with both stock and 3" axle tubed rears. Just doesn't work with FABRICATED housings. But any traditional style axle housing it'll bolt right to....
damn it.. i already wanted to swap out my front sway bar and go with konis. looks like i'll also be ordering a watts link in 2009.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

According to Bob from EPP, the tubes on their M9 housing are 3" (same as stock). Is is because their center section protrudes too much that the watts won't bolt to them?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's correct. And fwiw, 3" axle tubes are not the same as stock (which are 2.625"), but most 9's and 12's use 3" tubes as well, and the clamps fit those. It's the width of the housing.

Now, I haven't tried it, but it seems pretty clear looking at photos the two will not work together.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

for those that don't know there are two styles of watts links the stantionary pivot point and the floating point. this system in the stationary and it is the better of the two. it reduces roll center by about half of the suspension traveled which is a very good thing. when I fab one of these for other cars this is the basic system i like to use. I many like building them for s10's that I've worked a lot with to make handle.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

my 83 rx-7 and 86 rx-7 both had a watts link in the rear.... and those things can turn. now if I can figure a way to get it to fit on a Midwest 9 that would be sweet!! Sam could we weld it on the housing versus clamp it around the axle tube?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

can you post some more pics of it installed?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1redta
my 83 rx-7 and 86 rx-7 both had a watts link in the rear.... and those things can turn. now if I can figure a way to get it to fit on a Midwest 9 that would be sweet!! Sam could we weld it on the housing versus clamp it around the axle tube?
Unfortunately, its the larger protrusion of the center section on a fab 9 that won't allow it to fit, not the size of the axle tubes.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Default question

would a car with i r s beat this hands down ???
Old 04-12-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of irs car are we talking about here? Corvette? 03-04 cobra? I wouldnt say that it would beat it hands down, maybe not beat it at all, but it would definatly close the gap.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Default just curious,

nothing in particular, just trying to see through all the hype.of a road course or eluding mod. lol
Old 04-12-2009, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

do you have to sacrifice ride quality to have this setup.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

that and $$$$$$$$$$ lol
Old 04-12-2009, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

just how much more harsh of a ride are we talking about here?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

This part should not affect the ride quality at all. Well as much as a phb affects it.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

There is no sacrifice of ride quality. No increase in road noise. I have had my watts link for awhile and it is still holding up fine. No slipping on the axle mounts or anything.

Only inhibitor is the price tag. If I hadn't of put the manual rack into my car and gotten rid of my QA1 springs/shocks I am sure my car would be a handling beast.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1redta

Your '83 did but an '86 RX7 was the 2nd gen car which also had an IRS, not a solid axle/Watts arrangement the '83 did.

The fabbed 9's are just not readily able to accept the mounting for the Fays2 unit.

Quick Reply: Literally JUST got done installing Watts Link