Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Loud Howling while turning

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Howling while turning

Hey guys, I recently curbed my right front rim pretty bad and took it to a reputable body shop to get fixed. They replaced the engine cradle, right lower control arm with performance package, right knuckle, right inner and outer tie rods and got it an alignment.

When I got it back I drove the crap out of it and it seemed fine, drove perfectly straight and no issues except I heard the howling noise just once pulling a tight turn and i figured it was just the new parts breaking in. Since then I have had the car for about a month and suddenly now its doing it all the time, it is a significant metal on metal rubbing noise that is very loud almost ear piercing when it happens. It happens when im turning slowly or starting from a stop, and I cannot replicate the noise every single time as it seems random.

Would anyone be able to help me out? The car still drives straight and the only thing I noticed different was that I was getting a squeaking from the left front brake when breaking that was not there before since I got it back from the body shop. Any suggestions to look for or check would be great.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you steering rack was also damaged.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

wheel bearing? metal on metal noise is usually caused by a cracked wheel bearing and the noise can be amplified when turning. That's the first thing that comes to mind. Do you feel any jerking in the car when turning? cause then its most likely the steering rack
Old 02-25-2010, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

I Am pretty sure that they replaced the steering linkage as well, I'm hoping it's something simple like a wheel bearing or they forgot to lube or install something right
Old 02-26-2010, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Today I heard the noise again but it was after letting go of the brakes at a stop sign, and my wheel was not turned, maybe the brakes are sticking? It def is comming from the front of the car any input?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

why do you jack your car up take your wheel off and see if spinning your rotor will make the same noise
Old 03-17-2010, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Alrighty here is an update with more info.

The noise is becoming more frequent now, and almost 60 percent of the time I release the brakes I can hear it with varying length and loudness to the howl.

I caught a quieter one on video which you can see below, normally it is the same noise but LOUD and longer like SCREEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiTe1sXU10c

Also, I jacked my car up and checked the left front wheel first because that is where I am consistently hearing a squeal with moderate brake pressure to see if I could move the wheel when grabbing 12-6 o-clock position. The wheel did not move but it made this metal scraping sound as you can here in this video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdsBlPw7Ee0

Now after checking the wheel that I thought was problematic I went over to the front right wheel and repeated the same process. This one DID have a little play when I tried grabbing it at the 12-6 oclock position. When I spun it I heard a similar metal noise like the left wheel but with a different pattern of scraping.

What are the chances that both of them are shot? Is that scraping sound normal? Is it even my wheel bearing? Thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Launching!

that deffinately sounds like a wheel bearing in your explanation, but the vids sounds like a warpped or bad rotor
Old 03-17-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mylittlez06
that deffinately sounds like a wheel bearing in your explanation, but the vids sounds like a warpped or bad rotor
+1 for a bad bearing
Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

I replaced the pads and rotors about one year ago with brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads. Only put on about 8-10,000 miles since then so I doubt the brembo's are warped.

I just find it strange that both my bearings would tard out at the same time?
Old 03-17-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JPCrazyLegs
I replaced the pads and rotors about one year ago with brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads. Only put on about 8-10,000 miles since then so I doubt the brembo's are warped.

I just find it strange that both my bearings would tard out at the same time?
hit any big pot holes lately?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

videos dont sound like a bad bearing although your description does sound like that is the case.

Ours is a a hub assembly. If the shop replaced the knuckle with a used one i doubt they would take the time to unbolt the hub if the used one also had a hub on it. Could be that the used knuckle had a bad bearing. I would check out the brakes though.

Quick Reply: Loud Howling while turning