Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Corvette Caliper Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Caliper Conversion

I need new brakes for my daily driver, and I’m liking the idea of the LG Motorsports bracket mentioned in the brake TECH and FAQ that use the Corvette calipers.

Does this conversion just work for the front? And is there a particular brand of bracket that you would recommend?

While I’m here, if you had your choice and price was no object, what would be the best rotor/pad combination for street use?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot of threads about rear caliper conversion, so a search would help you there.

Otherwise, I like the HPS & Brembo blank combo for street brakes.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If all you are going to be doing is driving on the street, the stock setup is fine. Provided you upgrade to a better pad and quality rotor (braided lines and good fluid are also good to have). The C5 conversion is great, and will handle 99% of everyones performance needs. It is only for the front, as the rear setup is sufficient (again, upgrade pads). IMO the best conversion bracket is the original Bishop bracket. But since those are no longer made, the hotpart/trackbird bracket is the next best one.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tips. I actually just ordered the LG brackets today. I didn't want to have to do any cutting, and I think I paid dearly for that luxury. Cost $310 shipped. Oh well, hopefully they install easy enough.

I plan on getting the Hawk HPS pads and probably brembo rotors up front.

I also plan on doing the stainless lines front, and back too I guess, and changing the brake fluid.

Any recommendations on brand of stainless brake line to get and brake fluid to use? I guess I'll use DOT 3 whatever I get since I've heard anything else might conflict with seals and hoses. I wonder how hard it is to install these brake lines for someone who's never done any brake work before?

Last edited by FancyFarmSS; 03-22-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

So a quick question about adding braided lines: since i'll have corvette calipers up front will i need to get front brake lines for the corvette, and f-body ones for the back? From what i've learned, there are six lines to be replaced (since i have traction control), and Goodridge and Earls are good brands to go with.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would also like to know what brackets I can use without having to cut my spindles. I found the ebay ones but the seller was kind enough to tell me that they will NOT work with the Z51 caliper brackets.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

I did a little looking around before i bought the LG Motorsports brackets. According to them you do not have to cut or drill anything in order to convert over to C5/Z06 calipers.

Like I said, i paid $100 more for the LGs than what UMI Performance wants for their "conversion brackets," that require spindle modification, and $150 more than what BMR wants. There are also other brands out there, but I'm not sure if they require cutting or not. Hopefully the extra $$ for the LGs will be worth it cause i won't have to worry about screwing up the spindle.

Also found these websites very useful

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...28/index2.html

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ade/index.html

http://xse.com/leres/ss/brakes.html

Hope that helps.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Default A few more questions...

OK, so I've got my LG motorsports adapter brackets now, and I want to make sure of a couple of things before buying any more stuff.

From what i understand, with the LG adapter brackets I HAVE to use the stock F-body abutment bracket which also means I HAVE to use F-Body brake pads. Is this correct?

Are there any major performance drawbacks to using F-body pads vs C5 pads with 12.8" C5 rotors?

And btw I plan on installing C6 calipers if they aren't just crazy expensive. Should be nice!

Last edited by FancyFarmSS; 03-27-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

First of all, C5 and C6 calipers are identical. The only difference would be with the C6Z06/ZR1 calipers.

Secondly, Fbody pads are the same size as vette pads. You will not loose any surface area or performance by using the Fbody pad.

Just make sure you get a good pad like Hawk or similar.

If you are in need of pads, let me know what you need/want and I will get you pricing. I actually have them on sale this month.