Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wanting Some Advice Without Negativity

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wanting Some Advice Without Negativity

fixing to change my suspension setup. I'm going with eibach sportlines, because they provide the stance that I want my '02 WS6 to sit at. I don't race it, nor any real aggressive driving, so I'm wanting some positive ideas as to a good shock to put with them. I know most don't like the sportlines, but for me, that's the direction I want to go. was thinking of they KYB AGX, but not real certain if anyone has another suggestion that would be better for what I'm trying to do. Thanks for any input...
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

my advice without negativity:

use different springs. and if you must go that low, you don't want to skimp out on shocks. do it right the first time and go with koni sa's. then get any other lowering springs (preferably strano, bmr, lt1 prokit, hotchkis) and use them with the lower perch setting in front and heater hose in rear. that will give you the sportline drop but at least have a reasonable spring rate to keep you off the stops. if you want to do it even better get the GC coilover kit and go with some really stiff springs (I have 600# and they ride good). you could also do JasonWW's upper mount mod with either setup to regain some of the lost travel. i'm not being negative, just giving you a better means to get the end you are looking for.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, different springs would be a good idea I think also. The upper mount and heater hose mod with Koni's/Strano's should give you a good drop and still ride pretty good.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

+1 for what creeper said. You might like the look of the sportlines but their spring rate is not good for the height som you will bottom out on everything. There are other better ways to obtain that same look and still be able to be drivable. Alos with lowering you will need a set of lower control arm relocation brackets and an adj panhard bar to recenter the rear end
Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, i'll rephrase....IF i'm hellbent on going with sportlines, what is a good shock to go with them? I already have the springs, and that's the direction I want to go...majority doesn't like it, but it's how i want the car to sit....
Old 03-24-2010, 07:28 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

at this point, just use the stock shocks. why spend money to end up with a poor ride anyway?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd at least go with some SLP/HD Bilsteins or if you can wing it some Koni's.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pjb
at this point, just use the stock shocks. why spend money to end up with a poor ride anyway?
Yep just use the stocker...good shocks wont change the way those springs are
Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Pm'd you with advice....

-Down
Old 03-24-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ it would be nice if you posted it publicly for future reference

anyway, i don't think using stock shocks are a good idea. if you're set on using sportlines, still go with a good shock.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Go with Konis since your hell bent on Sport Lines. You will also need to modify where you adjust Camber(elognate frame hole) or get some off set upper bushings like Strano had offered. I had them on my car for like 4 hrs before pulling them off. I had lived in San Antonio at the time. So I wont give you any negative feedback.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
my advice without negativity:

use different springs. and if you must go that low, you don't want to skimp out on shocks. do it right the first time and go with koni sa's. then get any other lowering springs (preferably strano, bmr, lt1 prokit, hotchkis) and use them with the lower perch setting in front and heater hose in rear. that will give you the sportline drop but at least have a reasonable spring rate to keep you off the stops. if you want to do it even better get the GC coilover kit and go with some really stiff springs (I have 600# and they ride good). you could also do JasonWW's upper mount mod with either setup to regain some of the lost travel. i'm not being negative, just giving you a better means to get the end you are looking for.
Great advise!

Since your determined to run the sportline springs, you first need to make sure your rear bump-stops are really good condition since you'll be using them a lot! For shocks get a set of bilsteins, there good (IMO,better then KYB) shocks and they'll probably last you longer then the KYB AGX shocks.

Enjoy you ride, and post some photo's up after the install!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Since your determined to run the sportline springs, you first need to make sure your rear bump-stops are really good condition since you'll be using them a lot! For shocks get a set of bilsteins, there good (IMO,better then KYB) shocks and they'll probably last you longer then the KYB AGX shocks.

Enjoy you ride, and post some photo's up after the install!
Also get a adj panhard bar and some lca relocation brackets wont hurt either
Old 03-25-2010, 01:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Also get a adj panhard bar and some lca relocation brackets wont hurt either
with that drop a adj panhard bar is a must
Old 03-25-2010, 04:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no negativity? hmmm....ok.

if this is a daily driver, i can positively tell you that the ride is gonna suck!

but seriously, why don't you do what creeper suggested and obtain the same amount of drop via other means? the spring rate of the sportlines is way too low for the amount of drop they give you, and you're gonna be hitting the bumpstops ALL the time, regardless of what shocks you go with.

if you do the lower spring perch in the front and heater hose mod in the rear with Koni shocks & Strano springs, then you can at the very least talk to Sam Strano regarding setup and whatever.

it doesn't matter if you already bought those springs, you can just turn around and sell them to someone else to recover that money (just not on here, because you'll be waiting years before you find someone else on here that doesn't know better than to buy those springs....lol).
Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowTA1
fixing to change my suspension setup. I'm going with eibach sportlines, because they provide the stance that I want my '02 WS6 to sit at. I don't race it, nor any real aggressive driving, so I'm wanting some positive ideas as to a good shock to put with them. I know most don't like the sportlines, but for me, that's the direction I want to go. was thinking of they KYB AGX, but not real certain if anyone has another suggestion that would be better for what I'm trying to do. Thanks for any input...
Good to see someone who knows exactly what they want. You have obviously read all the reviews of sportlines and know basically what you are in for.

And quite honestly, changing springs is really no big deal. It's an afternoon of work in the driveway. So if Sports turn out to be a PIA for you, change them.

Simple.

KYB is a popular shock. Probably a decent enough shock for your needs, especially the way you describe your driving style. My guess is this isn't your daily driver either. So, I'd say you have a pretty good handle on the route you want to take.

Someone mentioned your bump stops. You'll be on them all the time. Just remove them altogether and don't worry about it. If you dontt drive aggressively, as you claim, them you should be OK. You'll need that extra 1.5" of suspension travel.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Teching In

My car has sportlines & Koni DAs on it. Ride height looks great, but STIFF ride!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Good to see someone who knows exactly what they want. You have obviously read all the reviews of sportlines and know basically what you are in for.

And quite honestly, changing springs is really no big deal. It's an afternoon of work in the driveway. So if Sports turn out to be a PIA for you, change them.

Simple.

KYB is a popular shock. Probably a decent enough shock for your needs, especially the way you describe your driving style. My guess is this isn't your daily driver either. So, I'd say you have a pretty good handle on the route you want to take.

Someone mentioned your bump stops. You'll be on them all the time. Just remove them altogether and don't worry about it. If you dontt drive aggressively, as you claim, them you should be OK. You'll need that extra 1.5" of suspension travel.

Good luck!
Maybe cut them 1" shorter, but don't totally remove them, unless you plan on putting a set of bump-stops on the rear shock shafts.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hijack:
Is dropping the ride height (such as with the Sportlines in question) the only reason for needing an adjustable panhard rod? Or is it a good idea to get one anyway even if you're staying with the "4x4" look? I'm deciding between an adjustable panhard bar and an aftermarket non-adjustable one.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tommyv8
Hijack:
Is dropping the ride height (such as with the Sportlines in question) the only reason for needing an adjustable panhard rod? Or is it a good idea to get one anyway even if you're staying with the "4x4" look? I'm deciding between an adjustable panhard bar and an aftermarket non-adjustable one.

i believe from readings, the only reason for an adjustable panhard rod is to recenter the rear of the car after it has been lowered, because it throws it off center when lowered....

Quick Reply: Wanting Some Advice Without Negativity