Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Plasticy....filmy crap on my new Brembo blanks

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Plasticy....filmy crap on my new Brembo blanks

Just started working on my brakes after getting Brembo blanks, HPS pads for my firebird. Got the rotors out and 3 of the 4 are covered in some plastic like crap that WONT come off, and it's only where the rotors made contact with the bag. The 1 of the 4 that is fine didn't come in a bag. The plastic crap is impervious to brake cleaner, gasoline, etc....and steel wool won't scratch it!

I don't know what to do, but I DONT want that **** on my new pads. Any advice is appreciated. WS6store's tech support wont answer any calls til after 5-6 I really want to say **** it, return the rotors, and get some Duralast's, lol
Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use a cordless drill and a wired wheel to remove plastic
Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Won't that mark the discs? We've took steel wool and rubbed the snot out of it, and it doesn't fade, it's like it's part of the metal.

I don't want to mark it and NOT be able to return it if it comes to that
Old 03-29-2010, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

it will mark the disk but will not damage it. this is also done when the disks are cut.
also try heating the plastic on the disk with a hair dryer and using a sharp blade.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

brake clean.

Edit, sorry I reread your post and saw you already tried that. My apologies.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A heat gun, some good razor scrapers and some effort will go a long way to help you with getting that stuff off.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, returning them to WS6store. Mike was extremely helpful and did everything he could to help out. We tried scraping with a screwdriver and more cleaners, and nothing. It's really really stuck on there, lol.

Got the Napa Top Premium fronts and Duralast rears....$150 difference too
Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Well, returning them to WS6store. Mike was extremely helpful and did everything he could to help out. We tried scraping with a screwdriver and more cleaners, and nothing. It's really really stuck on there, lol.

Got the Napa Top Premium fronts and Duralast rears....$150 difference too
The duralast rears will be so far out of spec in terms of runout within days that you will wish you didn't bother buying them.

Not sure on the quality of Napa premiums though.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had that same stuff on my brembo blanks from ws6store. cleaners wouldn't take it off. i decided to drive on it. after the break-in and some panic stops, it looks like its almost all gone. pads seem fine so far (also hawk hps).
Old 05-15-2010, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

I just got a set of rear Brembo blanks from the WS6 store and they too have this tough plasticy film on the part that contacted the plastic bag that they were packaged in. The front set of Brembos from The Tire Rack did not have this film (they were not in a plastic bag). After reading BobDoLe's post I'm considering driving to wear it off, but I'm not sure. I don't want to mess up a new set of Hawk pads.

Would this film pose a problem for the pads, or should I just return them and get stockers for the rear?

Brembo should seriously reconsider packaging any of their rotors in plastic bags.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I sent my rotors back to WS6store, and they refunded me in full, plus the cost of shipping for "defective rotors". I would not use them on my new pads, but that's just me....I ended up going with Napa/Duralast (i dont think these will warp too hard on the rear) and have been extremely happy with my new found braking power
Old 05-17-2010, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Cool, I think I'm going to call them today and send them back. Nothing against the WS6 store, cause everything else I've got from them has been in great shape and at a good price. And if the return goes as smoothly as you say, I'll like them even more.

I'll probably go with stock rotors, and I've already got HPS pads from the WS6 store.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Angry

Originally Posted by FancyFarmSS
I just got a set of rear Brembo blanks from the WS6 store and they too have this tough plasticy film on the part that contacted the plastic bag that they were packaged in. The front set of Brembos from The Tire Rack did not have this film (they were not in a plastic bag). After reading BobDoLe's post I'm considering driving to wear it off, but I'm not sure. I don't want to mess up a new set of Hawk pads.

Would this film pose a problem for the pads, or should I just return them and get stockers for the rear?

Brembo should seriously reconsider packaging any of their rotors in plastic bags.
Originally Posted by FancyFarmSS
Cool, I think I'm going to call them today and send them back. Nothing against the WS6 store, cause everything else I've got from them has been in great shape and at a good price. And if the return goes as smoothly as you say, I'll like them even more.

I'll probably go with stock rotors, and I've already got HPS pads from the WS6 store.
i've purchased new brembo rotors before (also from another source) and they did not have the plastic crap on them, so i'm curious what is going on here...

the plastic crap wore off of the rotors after about 200 miles or so, then after some HARD braking the residual discoloration wore off and most of the squeaking went away. now, after 14 runs at an autocross practice event, they don't make any noise and i can tell you that they work fantastic.

in retrospect, the pain-in-the-*** to send them back would have been a little more so than the pain-in-the-*** to deal with driving them off. in the future, i'll send them a little comment or maybe call them up to make sure they don't send me dirty rotors.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
in retrospect, the pain-in-the-*** to send them back would have been a little more so than the pain-in-the-*** to deal with driving them off. in the future, i'll send them a little comment or maybe call them up to make sure they don't send me dirty rotors.
Sending them back wasn't so much a pain, just cost an extra 20 bucks. My luck, if I had put the rotors on, they would have either messed up the $70 pads or squeaked the whole time they were on—not worth the risk IMO. I would have liked to have had the Brembo rotors all around, but they're in the back, so the stock rotors should be fine for me.

BTW, talked to Mike @ WS6 Store—VERY nice guy. Said no problem if I wanted to return or exchange them. I opted to return because he said all the sets he had were the same way.

Only thing I can figure that is causing this is the plastic bag that the rear rotors were packaged in. Possibly some sort of reaction between the rotor surface (which is coated with a protective layer from the factory) and the plastic bag, in the presence of above normal temperatures. Just a guess tho.

Quick Reply: Plasticy....filmy crap on my new Brembo blanks