Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Semi-annual explanation...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SantaCruz163
Technical question: when is it time to upgrade to bigger front & rear sway bars?
lol, maybe if there's a technical discussion the thread wont get locked!

I was going to get sway bars before shocks, but decided not to. From advice from other people on the board, Sam included, sway bars can be used anytime to help control body roll and help turn in. A set of well balanced sways can compliment any car, whether stock or fully modded.

However, an unbalanced set can shift handling away from neutral. 35/22 or 35/21 seems to be the most recommended, with a larger rear bar recommended if you do a lot of drag racing. By the looks of your sig, however, you probably are looking more for cornering?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SantaCruz163
I have no complaints when I dealt with Sam. He was very informative and offered helpful information for my Koni/Strano install like: what setting he recommends for my cars use, easy way to adjust the front Konis while on the car, little hints to make the install easier, etc. He doesn't sugar coat anything and gives his honest opinion and can back it up with his racing experience. Many of us are grateful for that and then there are others...

Technical question: when is it time to upgrade to bigger front & rear sway bars?
When is it time? I don't know if there is a specific time... When you feel like you'd like more roll control would be the time. My springs aren't super stiff, and part of the reason they are not is because I use the bars for roll control too. The bars and springs were sort of developed hand in hand, and have to be since both effect wheel rate and balance. Those things don't need the other to work, since I keep the bar balance very similar to a 32/19 setup, but you do get a good bit less roll if you run them. The car won't be dangerous if you run my bars and stock springs, or stock bars with my lowering springs--but I run both together on my car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
The tech that used to be debated back and forth on this site is gone. It's now like an inner city with turf wars being waged and gangs from respective camps lashing out claiming disrespect and infringement of territory. And then someone fires a shot and all hell breaks loose.

You put it very beautifully. Along with that, there is a lot of ball-licking and suck ups.

I haven't been in this forum for a long time now and the first thread I see is the same ol' same ol' with Sam. I can't believe he is still whinning and complaining.

I am guessing the general consensus here is that Sam know his stuff. Give him a stock setup and he'll turn it into a real performer. That being said, it's this petty bitching and moaning that has turned me off from him. I can unequivocally say that no other vendor has shown this much petty, childish behavior. What other vendor creates a thread to bitch about arguments with former customers?

I don't know if it's hurt ego or poor self-esteem that he needs to create these threads but I'll try to help:

"Sam you know your suspension stuff. You don't have to keep proving yourself to people." Repeat this several times a day in front of the mirror.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

And the shot is fired. Take cover, boys!

See my point?

Last edited by mitchntx; 04-07-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Batmobile: I hope to hell someday a ***** messes with your job on the internet. This is my life, my living. How I pay for my house and my Dad's house, and health insurance, and food, and everything else... so yes I get pissed when buttholes like you think it's a F**king game.

For the record, when Mitch stated the first shot was fired---look who did it, 'twasn't me. In fact my last post prior to this was answering a specific question about when to go with bars. Then batmobile had to chime in.... Again.

Edited for language..... My apologies

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Last edited by Sam Strano; 04-07-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who's between a novice-average to suspension, mods, and setting up the Fbody I think is wasting great opportunity if they pass up on dealing with Sam.

I actually think it would be stupid to just start off experimenting on your own like a lot of some of the more experienced guys here recommend. Start with Sam.. get a recommended setup with your given budget. Once you've been in the sport for a few years, then you can start to get a feel for what you like and your personal prefs and experiment I don't see the point of wasting time and money experimenting if you can start off with a well known recommended setup.

Especially if its not autox... other racing types want different setups. You'll want to figure out on your own what's good for your own preferences.

In my opinion, anyone who thinks Sam's just trying to force his best products on you to make a quick buck is ignorant. Do a search... Sam's recommended alternatives to Koni/strano springs many times in the past. Do your homework before knocking him. Look it up and consider that theory busted
Old 04-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
The tech that used to be debated back and forth on this site is gone. It's now like an inner city with turf wars being waged and gangs from respective camps lashing out claiming disrespect and infringement of territory.
C'Mon guys, this once was a bastion of great information.
Just out of curiosity, how much (in your opinion) technical R&D is left on a vehicle that's been out of production for almost eight years?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SteelCityYaga
Just out of curiosity, how much (in your opinion) technical R&D is left on a vehicle that's been out of production for almost eight years?
Watts link was introduced last year, right?

UMI released an updated K-Member based upon ... R&D a while ago.
Roto-Joints anyone?

Never stand still.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Batmobile: I hope to hell someday a ***** messes with your job on the internet. This is my life, my living. How I pay for my house and my Dad's house, and health insurance, and food, and everything else... so yes I get pissed when ******** like you think it's a ******* game.

For the record, when Mitch stated the first shot was fired---look who did it, 'twasn't me. In fact my last post prior to this was answering a specific question about when to go with bars. Then batmobile had to chime in.... Again.
And the return volley ...

I appreciate you guys illustrating and validating my point.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Um the Watts Link Built by Jim Fays came out and offered by strano perfomance last year. The Watts Link itself has been around a lot longer. Plus Midwest has thier own for thier Nine Inch rears. Sams day job is to bring majority of us good/proven parts no matter the manufacture. Whats your day job? Open a shop and become a competitor of his using your line of parts and show that its better than stock or better than another shop. Just because One dont manufacture the part dont mean they were not consulted or help out on all of the R&D To bring a lot parts. Its great that he insures a person get a good proven product. And why shouldnt he be proud of wins? It shows his setups are proven. Dont see you complain about the sorry speed shops we have here in TEXAS. Dont understand Y'alls beef with the man. You really havnt gotten anything from him. So how can you come into his thread talking smack?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Tillery pointed it out: Who was it that was instrumental in the Watts link for this car? I had a ton of input on the UMI k-member that's different, as in not a flimsy piece of crap, for the F-body. I didn't have anything to do with the Roto-joints, lest you think I searching for credit that I don't deserve.

Don't stand still, keep moving on. Unless it's me pointing out new idea's and products. Then I should just keep my mouth shut I guess.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

There was some stupid comment about me not even driving a Camaro. I'm working on editing the video of my track day this weekend--in my Camaro. Where was I under the CMC lap record in my car on a track I've never seen before. Just a little proof that I do still own and drive my Camaro, even if it's not the car I use to run National events anymore. I've proven my work and myself in that car more than once. I guess some folks need reminded. In fact you'll see that I pointed a new GT3 by... and then almost hit him later in the lap because he broke so much sooner than I was in my lowly Camaro---the one I don't care or know anything about. And the owner/driver of the GT3 is the head instructor at the track too.
This is what I'm talking about. Someone made a "stupid comment" about Sam not driving a Camaro. Are you seriously that emotionally distressed from that? WHO GIVES A FLYING ****? YOU DO. Because of a stupid comment you feel the need to "semi-annually" explain yourself. Because of one idiotic comment, you create another thread with a video showing how good you are and stressing where the GT3 is. It's this petty, bitching and moaning that makes you look like a bitch in heat.

What's most ironic about all the whining and bitching is that it actually helps me. You guys want to slice and dice me for being upfront which is fine. I can take it, and I in a way don't mind because it simply gives me a chance to stand up and and tell folks where I stand--and let them make their own decisions.
Make up your mind. Is my "bitching and whining" actually helping you or aggravating you? Or is this a way of showing you are not affected, (when you really are).

It's my conclusion that you have a hurt ego.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Then don't read anything I write, let alone come into threads I start if you are so troubled by my "whining and bitching".

God, you're like those crazies who think things should be banned from TV or Radio because they don't like them. Turn it off, ignore it, whatever. But I guess it's ok if you bitch and whine......

It aggravates me to no end. But in the end, it makes my phone ring... not that I need your help, but I get a lot of support (as you've already seen by various happy customers) when y'all are on the attack. So much like someone can pay you an underhanded compliment, I guess that your saying how bad I am gives me and my happy customers a chance to prove you wrong.

I can't please everyone, and I don't try. If you don't like me, fine--I'll live.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can't follow Sam's and Tillery's line ... not sure what they addressing, debating or refuting.

If I am their current target, I was merely pointing out to another user that R&D has NOT stopped on a platform that's been out of production for 8 years.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Batmobile: I hope to hell someday a ***** messes with your job on the internet. This is my life, my living. How I pay for my house and my Dad's house, and health insurance, and food, and everything else... so yes I get pissed when ******** like you think it's a ******* game.
I thought using language like this in the forums was grounds for infractions?
I think it should be put into verbage on the site that some sponsors can get away with things everyone else cannot... because obviously thats the case. Making new threads cuz you didnt get the last word in old threads, using foul language, name calling, whining like the fat ten year old girl that you are...... sounds like a good old fashioned internet TROLL to me...
Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I edited my original post for language. Those words have been changed. I see it doesn't automatically edit quotations from that post.

I am sorry if the language offended anyone. Sometimes frustration gets the better of me.

I will not however be sorry for defending my work and my business. Troll is far from an accurate description. But hey, you mileage may vary. Funny how I'm told to have a thick skin through all of this, but others get upset and hurt when they call me (I don't call them) and ask questions and then complain about me because they don't like the answers I gave them.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

No your not being shot at mitchntx. You have a helped a lot of people by your experiance on the track not pushing anyones product unlike many sponsers here do. I am just stating that Mr Strano may not make the parts himself. Or have a sweat shop full of mexicans fabbing stuff up or a army of precision robots doing it. But He does have a lot to do with the R&D of many products with many different platforms. He works with others on feedback to work with the companies to address any problems in the way the products intended usage. I went with his advice and knowledge as many others cause I liked driving those windy roads while I was in PA. I wanted my car to do more than 1/4 at a time. I had HAL QA1s that were crap after 1 run. I have gone thru alot on suspension looking for what I wanted. I Like to answer others questions on if its streetable. I just suggesting if so many dont like him or his shop? open your own and be part of a solution. Nobody comes on here bashing the other fabricators.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sam, regardless of what you do/say someone will always be there with a negative comment looking to boost their own ego, by trying to take you down a notch or two.

Chin-up, and don't become what you step in.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

this thread is pretty ridiculous. i work in the automotive service industry and if i had a tirade every time a customer questioned me it would be absolutely insane. you need to get off your high horse.

im really happy i don't road race because i would never want to be forced with the decision to purchase anything from you. it is no doubt you know your stuff and produce some great designs, however, in the 10 years i have been on this site i have seen more "im better than everyone so stop questioning me" threads from you than any other sponsor. this is as bad when you couldn't ask a nitrous question without every thread turning into the sponsors bashing each other about who's kit was better

get over yourself

Last edited by Tally TransAm; 04-07-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, In all of the threads I've opened that Sam has started, except for this one, someone else has started the bitching that has caused for the dispute to begin. And it all begins because someone asks his opinion and he gives JUST that, HIS OPINION, on what HE thinks is the best for THAT setup. He doesn't come out and say "Buy this, buy that, you need this, you need that if you're gonna run that". He could give everyone false information just to get money, but he doesn't. He actually talked me out of LCA relocation brackets...asking if I had wheel hop and if I didn't, then they weren't necessary. Any other sponser on this site that sells suspension parts will come into a thread and state "get a adj. phb, get adj. lca's, get this, get that, etc." Most of the stuff is "recommended" not necessarily "needed". Other sponsers claim you NEED an adj. phb if you're lowering your cars. My step-dad has 2 f-bods that are lowered, neither have an adj. PHB...and they're perfectly fine, rear is centered perfectly fine. Yes, it's probably a good idea to get some of the parts that are recommended, but MOST people on this site will buy a product that they have no clue what the need is for just because someone else/other sponsor told them they NEED it if they are going to do this certain thing.

Sam, on the other hand, will tell you exactly what that part does and when you should need it. I hate seeing these threads when he is getting bashed for suggesting Koni's...Koni's are the best shock out there, plain and simple. I dare someone to find another shock that rides and performs as well as Koni...yes, there are substitues of course...when aren't there? But, the substitues aren't as well designed/made as the Koni's are.

If you people don't like his opinion, here's a simple solution...DON'T ASK HIM THE QUESTION IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Sam knows his stuff when it comes to suspension, quit bitching about him suggesting products he feels are superior to other products. If you want to buy inferior products for your car, go right ahead, no one is stopping you...

In the end, you buy what YOU want to buy, not someone else...

Quick Reply: Semi-annual explanation...