Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Thinking about getting rid of the Strano springs could use some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about getting rid of the Strano springs could use some opinions

hey guys first post in a long time, ive had my Strano springs and koni 4/4's for quite a while. at first i loved the setup but the roads in my home town are crappy and even with the shocks full soft its still hard as hell so heres the deal what springs are out there and what hights do they put you at? i love the stance of the stranos but there just a little too hard so im willing to sacrifice some handling for ride... yes yes i understand that when you lower a car you have to increase the spring rate to keep it from bottoming out so... im also willing to go up a bit in height any help will be appreciated and money isnt an issue since ill just be selling my strano springs and i know they will sell fast here especially since ive had them for 2 years but only put less than an oil chane on them get back to me guys
Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard (not really many chances to test yet) that full soft doesn't always provide the best quality ride, try messing with the settings or giving Sam a call and see what he thinks.

Otherwise, you have the 4/4's so put the stock springs back in and do the lower perch/heater hose for a slight drop. That will provide the best quality ride.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

the heater hose mod sucks, i have strano/koni and they are **** without isolators.... what about eibach i havent heard any complaints on ride... although ive never ran them. just my .02
Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Usually people use the heater hose mod on stock springs, I know you can but I wouldn't on lowering springs.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Launching!

yeah im gonna give the stock springs with the heater hose mod a try tomorrow and see what happens. i got some time on my hands so we will see
Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Well I have the eibachs and hate them because of the ride quality. I wanted a firm ride like what you are describing. The eibachs ride great and handle pretty good about same overall height as the stranos. I also have the heater hose mod and works pretty good IMO but I'm looking to change mine out for something stiffer like what you've got. Let me know if your interested in trading or selling those springs I would be interested in getting those from you.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to pose a few questions that may be obvious to some but not so obvious to others, which are:
  1. Are you bottoming out often or just simply having a really harsh ride?
  2. If it's just a harsh ride, have you tried adjusting the tyre pressures?
  3. What tyres are you running and are their sidewalls known to be stiff?
  4. Are your tyres ideal for your current location (temperature wise)?

You may have done this already, however my point with this question is that tyre pressures are often overlooked, yet are extremely crucial to the overall tyre spring rate. You may or may not have a tyre spring rate problem, but I think it's worth mentioning here.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could go back to stock springs on the 4/4's and look into drop spindles.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

One thing that I see people say a lot is something on the lines of "I have these springs and this shock combination.. its too rough on the road so I turned the shocks all the way down to softest setting". All that's doing is turning the rebound down, aka lessening the damping ability of those given springs... not softening up your ride quality.

Things that will probably help improve ride quality... taller springs with lower springrates... tires with more sidewall.. probably smaller rims to go with it. You should keep the konis due to their wide range of adjustment. There's probably other things you can do too. It will never feel like a Honda Accord or similar type of car though in my opinion
Old 04-27-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the Eibach Prokit on my car right now, on my old 97 I had Sportlines, then WS6 springs, then Hotchkis springs. (I still have the Hotchkis, just waiting for new shocks to mount them on my current car) And out of all these springs I liked the ride quality of the Hotchkis springs and cannot wait to swap out my ProKit for the Hotchkis. It sat higher than both Eibach kits. I think the Prokit handled the best because of their spring rate. The Hotchkis springs are a little softer, and have like a 1" or 1.25" drop i can't remember. I think you'd like them.

I'd get you a picture of the ride height from my old 97, but I can't hear at work.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

You could go back to stock springs, heater hose mod in the back and the lower perch on the koni's in front. Just my .02
Old 04-28-2010, 03:01 AM
On The Tree

So in two years you've driven your car 3k miles. I'm assuming this is due to deployments but I won't go any further than that since I'm mil as well. That being said I think you are over reacting as far as wanting to get rid of the stranos. Start turning your shocks up in damping it will do alot. I have heavier springs than the stranos on mine I run full stiff in the front. And about halfway stiff in the back. And the ride is pretty good. People don't seam to realize that the strano setup is designed for autox and handling. The ride is gonna be stiffer. But you will be able to sell em quick if you can't figure em out. Or.. Buy a Honda for a DD.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Honda?
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about getting rid of the Strano springs could use some opinions-fh.gif  
Old 04-28-2010, 04:19 AM
On The Tree

That's the simple solution. Than when you get in your fbody you won't care if it's a little stiff you'll love the go pedal!.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

OP PM me ill take those springs off your hands...
Old 05-10-2010, 10:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I've always said that I don't think lowering springs are for everyone.... That's why I cringe when folks call and say they want it lower, but ride soft too... Can't have both. Stiffer, shorter springs are just that--stiffer and shorter.

Agree with the fact that turning the shocks down isn't always the right answer. You need to control the spring rate, if you underdamp the spring, the ride can actually get worse (think about stock shocks with miles the ride suffers but the springs haven't gotten any stiffer).

Also you must watch tire pressures. Many run the tires overinflated and that makes for some pretty bad impact harshness.

All that said, the best ride comes from stock springs @ stock height with excellent shocks. You have the shocks, so I'd have to say go back to stock springs. If you run the lower perch/isolator mod it will still be stiffer than @ stock height. Same for other springs. I sell others, including Hotchkis, but realistically they don't really ride that much better. The only one you might want to consider would be SLP Level 1 springs (which I also carry) as they are not as low, or as stiff as the more performance oriented springs like mine.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting rid of the Strano springs could use some opinions