Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Springs?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Thats like saying your stock valve springs will be ok with a big cam because they have low mileage.
The mileage on the stock shocks doesn't matter, brand new they are horrible and barley damp the stock springs none the less stiffer springs with less travel.
Its not about the wear and tear, its about how the shocks are valved.
Except that you'd risk messing your engine up with stock valve springs, aka bigger money loss risk. Stock shocks will just give him a crappy ride.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Except that you'd risk messing your engine up with stock valve springs, aka bigger money loss risk. Stock shocks will just give him a crappy ride.
Dampers also affect dynamic weight distribution upon braking, steering, and maintaining proper driver control. Really soft dampers (e.g. worn stock shocks) can contribute to excessive brake dive, excessive body roll upon suspension jounce, as well as excessive, inadequate, or unstable yaw upon cornering. All of this can result in uneven tyre wear, increased braking distances, and significant loss of vehicle control. With that stated, I wonder if it's worth the risk of an accident, which may cause the type of damage I'd hate to imagine.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 05-17-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I guess it all depends on how you look at it

You could probably take it easy on the engine for a little bit on the big cam.. set the rev limiter real low so you get no torque at all. Though your valve train should be safe
Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I would have to go with the springs that are made in the US. I love some of strano's stuff but if I could buy everything in America then I would. That sells me on more stuff than anything else. In my exp. things that are made in America work better and usually have a lifetime guarantee for a reason. IMO
Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
I would have to go with the springs that are made in the US. I love some of strano's stuff but if I could buy everything in America then I would. That sells me on more stuff than anything else. In my exp. things that are made in America work better and usually have a lifetime guarantee for a reason. IMO
Dude.... that's very short sighted. I'd also love to buy everything American. But my preference is to the best product, if that's American--great. If not, then America should have better products.

You do realize you are driving a car that was built in Canada, right? If you want an American made pony-car you need a Mustang. The stock shocks were not made in the USA either. And all the best aftermarket shocks are not american made.

My springs are made where they are made because that's where the company and mill is that has the material I want my springs made from. And the company who makes __R's springs for them, is willing to make mine too, and I can have them made in the USA if I wanted to give up key components of how the springs are made. But I don't want them making my springs, they had nothing to offer but a cheap price and that they'd "reverse engineer" whatever I wanted. If other companies want to do business that way, that's there choice. I will stay with the company that helped me in development of my springs because I feel that's the right thing to do on a number of levels.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Springs?????