Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shocks.. please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shocks.. please help

I have a 99 hawk and I don't mind the stock ride height but I'm thinking of getting koni sa shocks with the stock springs?? Will this be ok, or do you guys advise getting aftermarket springs too? Due to LT SLP headers I have ground clearance concerns would be thinking of getting BMR or Hotkins or however u spell it.. any help / suggestions are appreciative.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I recommend talking to Sam Strano. He is a sponsor that hangs out in the Suspension & Brakes section. The man knows his stuff, and will set you up with what you need.

http://www.stranoparts.com/

I'd recommend calling him first. He will tell you what you actually need based on your goals for the car. Basically, he'll make sure you do it right the first time without wasting money.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Koni's work great with stock springs. It will ride better and be much more responsive. SLP Bilsteins are my second choice...
Old 05-20-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have konis. very good shock. my car feels much tighter and solid.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Koni's work great with stock springs. It will ride better and be much more responsive. SLP Bilsteins are my second choice...
I have stock springs, and just got a set of Konis a couple of months ago. It's a nice improvement, and I wish I had got them a few years ago.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a Firehawk, are you sure you're car doesn't already have the upgraded Bilstein or Koni suspension? Look on your SLP content sticker in your door jamb to see what it says.

If it's the stock orange (not yellow) decarbon shocks and you're worried about ride height, I'd call up SLP and get the Bilstein/Eibach suspension that should have been ordered with your car in the first place. Its cheaper than the Koni's, less hassle unless you are road racing and really need adjustability. It's an awesome kit that you won't regret like others that turn your car in a low rider *cough* strano *cough*.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69camaross
You have a Firehawk, are you sure you're car doesn't already have the upgraded Bilstein or Koni suspension? Look on your SLP content sticker in your door jamb to see what it says.

If it's the stock orange (not yellow) decarbon shocks and you're worried about ride height, I'd call up SLP and get the Bilstein/Eibach suspension that should have been ordered with your car in the first place. Its cheaper than the Koni's, less hassle unless you are road racing and really need adjustability. It's an awesome kit that you won't regret like others that turn your car in a low rider *cough* strano *cough*.

You will regret putting Eibach springs on your car as they are positively the WORST springs made for these cars. I am not talking out of my *** as my old LT1 had a set when I bought it and hated those bumpstop riding springs so bad I swapped them out for stockers.

I love my Strano's and feel like they are the best springs made for these cars. I have ridden or driven in cars with Voightlands, DMS, Hotchkiss, the old BMR's and obviously Eibach. Stranos have the best spring rates IMO and are a lighter alloy that IIRC a lot of NASCAR teams run on.

If the Stranos are too low for you at a 1.25" drop maybe the Hotchkiss at 1.0"" would be good for you. Just remember ABE......anything but Eibach...

IMO just try the Koni's first and go from there.....
Old 05-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Eibachs aren't that bad.

I have them and SLP Bilsteins, and it rides better than it did when it was stock height with stock shocks.

I've never ridden in a Koni car, so maybe they are worth the $800.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Koni adjustables are worth every penny. The singles are an excellent upgrade from stock (pretty much any shock is) double adjustables are good for drag racing and anyone who needs to more finely tune the suspension.

Quick Reply: shocks.. please help