Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

tq arm mount- tranny vs crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 Bad ***** F*****
I have a UMI torque arm relocation that I am running with a UMI torque arm. I am currently having a strange problem as the torque arm has sliced right through the poly torque arm mount. I don't know if this is common. Other than that, no problems and probably saved the rear tranny housing.

The earlier style UMI t/a was designed to work with the stock style clam shell bushing thus having semi sharp edges.

Being the great company that they are, I noticed UMI has since upgraded to the tube type t/a and bushing.

Just get a new bushing for yours and you should be good to go for a while.

You gotta quit doing those 6K launches ... eh ? LOL

Last edited by bearcatt; 05-31-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Nice to hear that they switched to a tubular system. That means that this is a known problem.

The torque arm is less than a year old and already obsolete ..nice. I did a search on the problem and came up empty. I pm'd UMI Performance the other day but have not heard back yet.

Yeah the torque arm does look sharp maybe I'll try to grind it to dull the edges when I get a chance, just a pain in the *** as the rear part of the torque arm had to be coerced to fit with a hammer as the fitment was extremely poor.

6000rpm launches are why I got the Dana 60

op sorry bout the hijack
Old 06-01-2010, 07:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01 Bad ***** F*****
Nice to hear that they switched to a tubular system. That means that this is a known problem.

The torque arm is less than a year old and already obsolete ..nice. I did a search on the problem and came up empty. I pm'd UMI Performance the other day but have not heard back yet.

Yeah the torque arm does look sharp maybe I'll try to grind it to dull the edges when I get a chance, just a pain in the *** as the rear part of the torque arm had to be coerced to fit with a hammer as the fitment was extremely poor.

6000rpm launches are why I got the Dana 60

op sorry bout the hijack
Hello
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner due to the holiday weekend! But either with ours or the stock torque arm it is a normal problem for the torque arms to cut threw the bushing. I wouldn't suggest grinding it down due to you would have play in the bushing then. I would just suggest going with a poly bushing they will hold up a little better under stress. And we offer them for $14.99. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Don't worry about the respone time, it was a holiday weekend after all.
I did actually purchase the poly bushing and this is what the torque arm sliced through.

I haven't done any grinding yet and at your suggestion won't.

In my PM I included more personal info on my order and today Ryan @ UMI responded and has told me that he will be sending me a new poly bushing at no cost.

I am extremely pleased and happy to know that when I purchase UMI it was the right decision.

Can't wait to get back on the road!!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

i looked at the 4 bolts that hold the flimsy center crossmember.......and i looked at the 4 bolts that hold the tranny crossmember.......guess which bolts are bigger? .......guess which type of TA mount i am going with
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
I understand your questioning about the difference in the size of the bolts. But I can reassure you that there is no issues with either version strength wise. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-03-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i looked at the 4 bolts that hold the flimsy center crossmember.......and i looked at the 4 bolts that hold the tranny crossmember.......guess which bolts are bigger? .......guess which type of TA mount i am going with
I wouldn't think that the size of the bolts would matter much. Isn't the torque arm forced up during acceleration?
Old 06-03-2010, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
I wouldn't think that the size of the bolts would matter much. Isn't the torque arm forced up during acceleration?
It doesn't. I know guys with 9 second cars that have put em on the bumper several times with tunnel mounted torque arms. Never been a problem.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

The bolts aren't the problem but what about ripping the cross member out of the floor ?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:16 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
It doesn't. I know guys with 9 second cars that have put em on the bumper several times with tunnel mounted torque arms. Never been a problem.
This is your answer Bearcat....
bolts would break long before it rips the cross brace out of the floor
Old 06-03-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
This is your answer Bearcat....
bolts would break long before it rips the cross brace out of the floor
I'm taking about a tunnel mounted, not a trans relocation setup.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bearcatt
The bolts aren't the problem but what about ripping the cross member out of the floor ?

Do you mean up through the floor? The torque arm is pushed up against the bottom of the floor during acceleration.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bearcatt
I'm taking about a tunnel mounted, not a trans relocation setup.

its still not an issue... you would break the bolts before you break the tunnel

if you are really worried about it.. just get the 3 pt UMI subframes to go with it...transfer some of the stress outwards
Old 06-03-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
Do you mean up through the floor? The torque arm is pushed up against the bottom of the floor during acceleration.
After doing various searches, I haven't actually found any issues with this. Maybe it's not an issue.... Regardless there is no way, I would run this on my car without 3 point SFCs.

Originally Posted by soundengineer
its still not an issue... you would break the bolts before you break the tunnel

if you are really worried about it.. just get the 3 pt UMI subframes to go with it...transfer some of the stress outwards
I have 3pt SBCs. I no longer use a tunnel mount however, I went with a tranny relocation setup.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I currently run the UMI #2203 tunnel brace T/A setup on my 02 35th and its a beast of a ******* T/A but the clunking when shifting and the transfer of road noise is driving me crazy as is the low ground clearance that always seems to scrap or hit my tunnel brace beings i run the lower one for the long tune headers because of my Hooker y pipe for my APS TT exhaust which i plan on having fixed anyways to run the (straight) brace across to tie my SFC in .The arm fits great and has never hit the floor like other TA's out there and with the SFC's it ties the whole car in together and feels tight as hell .With my S60 rear,,,it really only needed hime joints installed into the rear end part of the arm rather then the supplied solid ones. I did this because of the wider pumpkin on my S60 was pushing my arm over towards the drivers side ,past where it's mounted to the tunnel brace and was putting a unwanted twist on the T/A .The hime joints fixed this problem for me. I actually stold these hime joints off of my old Global West T/A i had laying around that wouldnt work with my S60.I really dont track my car that much as she's a weekend warrior, garage queen type bitch LOL and was reading threw this post here and was wondering if a relocation trans crossmember mount might be a better option for me then what im running now ? Would i have to get a whole new arm (LONGER)? and does anbody have pics of their trans relocation setup using the new tubular UMI T/A setup? Would this definatly quit up my ride then what im running now?

Here you can see my Hime joints from my Global West Arm installed on my UMI to help line the T/A arm up better because of my wider S60 and to eliminate any type of binding on the arm too because of it being off centered from the tunnel brace because of my wider rear!

Last edited by barnat; 06-04-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: tq arm mount- tranny vs crossmember