Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

tq arm mount- tranny vs crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tq arm mount- tranny vs crossmember

i currently have an slp HD adj trans mounted torque arm and never really had a problem with it until my moser 12 bolt decided it was time to have 2 of the mounting bolts back out

long story short, i got the rear fixed and am getting the tranny rebuilt (i was having some issues, but after this happened at the track it basically made all the issues come to life)

so my question is: could it be that having the bolts back out and doing gone knows what back there, be the reason my tranny got all f'ed up? i didnt think so cuz its got a bigass rubber bushing at the tranny, but if this is the cause of my problems ill be putting this thing in the for sale section lol
Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

What bolts backed out, the bolts connected to the floor pan or the bolts for the torque arm ?

Old 05-24-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

bolts for the rear to torque arm
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

If this is for a Moser 12 bolt, that's a typical problem.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Yeah, typical problem with the Moser 12-Bolts. If I were you I'd drill a small hole through the head of each bolt horizontally and safety-wire the top two and bottom two together.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

i didnt use anything before- didnt realize this was a problem... right now i only have 1 bolt in it top and bottom but i fabbed that bracket up to itll never bend again

put some grade 8s in there with loctite and lock washers, torqued to 96ft lbs, still in there strong
gatta tap the front 2 holes and ill be set

so the question is- once the rear is good to go, will the trans mounted tq arm be ok? or should i go to a tunnel mount?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
i didnt use anything before- didnt realize this was a problem... right now i only have 1 bolt in it top and bottom but i fabbed that bracket up to itll never bend again

put some grade 8s in there with loctite and lock washers, torqued to 96ft lbs, still in there strong

so the question is- once the rear is good to go, will the trans mounted tq arm be ok? or should i go to a tunnel mount?
Tunnel mount! Don't learn the hard way!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:24 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Like mentioned above this is a normal situation....But another suggestion for you is to have the bolts spot welded so they don't back out. That is one of the major downers about that specific rear is when the bolts back out.
Take it easy,
Brad
Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you already have a torque arm, you can consider using either a tunnel mount like was stated (I have UMIs tunnel mount) or just pick up a relocation mount. It still uses the same arm, but has a mount specifically for the torque arm, OFF the weak trans case.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are you doing 6K plus lauches ?
Yep, you gotta fix those other bolt holes.

I had a tunnel mount t/a... I wasn't happy with it.

A trans relocation is a better way to go imo.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

What didn't you like about the tunnel mount?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Because it was noisy as can be, wheel hop was real bad during hard breaking, traction and bite didn't really seem any better and real low to the ground. It was a nice piece however, constructed very well.

I'm very happy with my new Yank t/a relocation setup.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bearcatt
I had a tunnel mount t/a... I wasn't happy with it.
A trans relocation is a better way to go imo. .
Hello
What it comes down to is more of a personal preference on what and how you want the vehicle to perform. Anytime the vehicle is a daily driver or the vehicle will see the track a handful times a year. I always suggest going with a full length adjustable and relocation cross member. To maintain a great factory ride quality but it will still be able to handle HP into the single digits.

And anytime the vehicle is more of a drag car and has a lot of HP. And if you are looking for maximum bullet proof performance. That is when I would suggest looking into a tunnel mounted arm. They non only transfer weight faster but they also give you that option to tie the entire suspension together.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

what does having the transmission mounted tq arm usually break? i basically did a burnout, heard something in the rear, went back and forth 3-4 times and everything was working so i did my run.. later to find out i was having tranny problems and that my 2 top bolts can out of the rear
Old 05-27-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
What it comes down to is more of a personal preference on what and how you want the vehicle to perform. Anytime the vehicle is a daily driver or the vehicle will see the track a handful times a year. I always suggest going with a full length adjustable and relocation cross member. To maintain a great factory ride quality but it will still be able to handle HP into the single digits.

And anytime the vehicle is more of a drag car and has a lot of HP. And if you are looking for maximum bullet proof performance. That is when I would suggest looking into a tunnel mounted arm. They non only transfer weight faster but they also give you that option to tie the entire suspension together.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad

Hi Brad,

Your absolutely right, it is a matter of preference.

One thing that's important to note about tunnel mounted torque arms...
Without UMI 3 point subframe connectors the mounting point for tunnel mount torque arms is very weak.

You might recall, order over the phone, you folks just sent me a black
special made tunnel mount brace cross brace to join my UMI 3 point sub frames together. I forget the part number but it's a nice piece and I'm very happy with it.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

what does having the transmission mounted tq arm usually break? i basically did a burnout, heard something in the rear, went back and forth 3-4 times and everything was working so i did my run.. later to find out i was having tranny problems and that my 2 top bolts can out of the rear
With hard launces and big power... usually a transmission mounted torque arm breaks the rear trans tail housing or what they call the extension housing.

Checking pinion angle is important too.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

Hi Brad,

Your absolutely right, it is a matter of preference.

One thing that's important to note about tunnel mounted torque arms...
Without UMI 3 point subframe connectors the mounting point for tunnel mount torque arms is very weak.

You might recall, order over the phone, you folks just sent me a black
special made tunnel mount brace cross brace to join my UMI 3 point sub frames together. I forget the part number but it's a nice piece and I'm very happy with it.

Hello
I do remember that order and I would like to thank you again for doing business with UMI Performance. And it is great to hear that you are satisfied with the quality of our products.
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-29-2010, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With hard launces and big power... usually a transmission mounted torque arm breaks the rear trans tail housing or what they call the extension housing..
Usually? I'd say rarely. I've seen a pic or two of broken tailshafts over the years but it is rare. I've had both a tunnel mounted torque arm and a tranny mounted w/relocation crossmember, couldn't stand the noise from either. I now have the tranny mounted ta on the tranny. I launch the car at 6,000+ on Prostars/ET Streets, no issues so far.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Usually? I'd say rarely. I've seen a pic or two of broken tailshafts over the years but it is rare. I've had both a tunnel mounted torque arm and a tranny mounted w/relocation crossmember, couldn't stand the noise from either. I now have the tranny mounted ta on the tranny. I launch the car at 6,000+ on Prostars/ET Streets, no issues so far.

That's true it doesn't happen very often and when it does it's usually from extreme launching.

The main thing is to find what works best for you. I've found what works for me and I am finally satisfied with my own setup.

Here are few threads from over the years, there are most likely more.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...illed-lol.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...n-housing.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...n-updated.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l-housing.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...rd-launch.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...rque-arms.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/10199436-post19.html

Old 05-30-2010, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

I have a UMI torque arm relocation that I am running with a UMI torque arm. I am currently having a strange problem as the torque arm has sliced right through the poly torque arm mount. I don't know if this is common. Other than that, no problems and probably saved the rear tranny housing.

Quick Reply: tq arm mount- tranny vs crossmember