Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do I need an aftermarket torque arm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 07:18 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wink Do I need an aftermarket torque arm?

2000 Camaro, Hotchkis SFC's/STB/BIG hollow sway bars - BMR rubber/poly LCA's - BMR adustable rear chromeoly panhard rod bar, DMS lowering springs, stock shocks, - running 1.65 short time on 315 DR's at unprep'd track...stock 10 bolt with 3.23 gears stock auto with 2800 stall.

I am doing some work this winter...adding a nitrous kit and other stuff, and want to know if I need anythig more than my stock torque arm. I am not a fan of ading parts for the hell of it, but would like to know if I am in danger of breaking the stock one or if it is just an issue of running a litle faster 60' time. My car launces easy, I have to roll the throttle to get the 1.65 short times, and may go to ET Streets, and I am getting a new 3200 multidisc Vig converter (and will be using a 150 hp nitrous kit).

Do I need one now, and which one do I need. this is a street race car, not a track car. I dont want to add 30-40 lbs fo no reason, and spend $500+. Is the Random tech a good one for my application?

thanks,.

SDB

P.S. anyone actually broke a stock torque arm before???
Old 01-13-2004, 09:30 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a 12 bolt W/3.73's & the arm for it. Spohn>>>>????
Old 01-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Launching!

I'd save for a new rear first. But aside from that- my Spohn Torque Arm (the full one for the LT's) is one of the best suspension modifications I have made to my car. A little more vibration, but no biggie.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:12 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Default Has Anyone Broken A Stock Torque Arm In An Auto Car???

well, the rear isn't a big concern, I haven't seen an automatic car break one around here...lots of stock 6-speeds break them....ones that run mid 13s, and i run mid 11's and havent had a bit of poblem/noise.

I am wondering if anyone has actually broken a stock torque arm in an automatic car...does anyone know this???

I hate spending money on my car to make it heavier, clunkier, more vibration, etc. if it isn't going to make a hugh difference.

I have my tranny and converter out now geting built, and this is the time to look into a torque arm I guess. I run 1.6x short times on the stock auto, 3.23 gears, stock torque arm and on drag radials. Will I get better with an aftermarket torque arm???
Old 01-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Launching!

I don't think the "breakage" issue is too huge- although having the torque arm on the tailshaft of the trans just sounds like a bad idea to me, I also noticed a massive increase in weight transfer- always good!
Old 01-17-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

I think the stock one will flex a lot so the danger of breakage should be minimized. BUT since it flexes, it will not perform as well as a rigid one. Most importantly, having an adjustable torque are allows you to dial-in the exact pinion angle which is mucho importante.

Tommy
Old 01-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Teching In

since you are lauching soft(ie, not on spray out of the hole) when do you hit the gas?
if you dont hit it out of the hole, and you dont have wheel spin at any point, then you dont need it; if you you do have wheel spin, then it may help...
Old 01-18-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

my tailshaft broke really nicely with the stock location of the torque arm going to the tailshaft. I do not want to repeat this so i'm looking at options. Seems alot of shiz either 1. doesn't fit well, 2. causes alot of harshness. grrr.
and costs alot.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:57 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DEESNUTS
since you are lauching soft(ie, not on spray out of the hole) when do you hit the gas?
if you dont hit it out of the hole, and you dont have wheel spin at any point, then you dont need it; if you you do have wheel spin, then it may help...
VERY good point, one that I didn't think of. I launch at about 80% throttle on motor and get mid to high 1.6 short times. on the bottle I will do the same and hit the nitrous at the top of first or just as it shifts to 2nd. I don't want to launch too hard becuse I know I will break the rear with a nitrous/ET street launch...I like racing on the street where you can't always lanch like at the track (actually, I do the same exact at track on street since I have to drive it out of the hole). I will keep the stocker until it breaks or I get beat by just a litle bit!

Thanks for all the responses.

SDB

Quick Reply: Do I need an aftermarket torque arm?