Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just got some brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010 | 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question Just got some brake pads

OK guys this will be my first attempt at changing brake pads and id rather do it myself IF I CAN than take it somwhere well what all needs to be done i got the EBC ultimax brake pads for the front...just if yall could give me a little no how n what to do that will be great
Old 06-08-2010 | 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Brake pads are very simple. Are you also replacing the rotors?

All you need to do to replace pads are remove the two (i think there 15mm bolts) bolts on the BACKSIDE of the caliper. If you take the wheel off and look you will quickly see what needs to be done. It is only two bolts and the caliper will come off! Now getting the new pads in is a little more challenging. You will need to compress the caliper pistons with a special tool (this tool can be rented at most auto parts stores) or you can get crafty and find a makeshift tool that will do the same job. My biggest suggestion is to go on google or youtube and find a generic how to for changing brake pads, it is pretty much the same for any car.
Old 06-08-2010 | 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
You will need to compress the caliper pistons with a special tool (this tool can be rented at most auto parts stores) or you can get crafty and find a makeshift tool that will do the same job.
I never realized c-clamps were special tools. Always thought they were rather common myself.

Also, on the bolts to remove the calipers... They're actually bolted to a pair of floating pins in the caliper carrier. At least, they're supposed to be floating. If the rubber seals are damaged they can seize up. You'll need an open-end wrench (not sure the size) to hold the pins while removing the bolts.
Old 06-08-2010 | 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive been youtubing this all day thanks guys i told my mom i was going to do it but then she got all nooo sir take it to someone who knows how haha so maybe ill sneak in a few hours on it b4 she relizes what im doing thanks for the info
Old 06-09-2010 | 01:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jRaskell
I never realized c-clamps were special tools. Always thought they were rather common myself.

Also, on the bolts to remove the calipers... They're actually bolted to a pair of floating pins in the caliper carrier. At least, they're supposed to be floating. If the rubber seals are damaged they can seize up. You'll need an open-end wrench (not sure the size) to hold the pins while removing the bolts.
Last time i checked not everyone had a c-clamp... C-clamp is not nearly as common as say a philips screwdriver. Plus that's not REALLY the way you should compress the caliper anyways. Figuring that he doesn't have the know how to change brake pads the likelihood of him having a c-lamp is fairly nill...
Old 06-10-2010 | 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i ended up just takin it to a little shop and they changed em out for 50 bucks...and now the fronts squeak..only at certain points when you push the brake pedal down..im thnkin it needs that lube where the piston meets the pad or something like that if it contiues after the break in period then im take it to a real brake shop
Old 06-10-2010 | 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

be careful not to lube or grease the rotor. Try doing some sudden stops in a safe place before you start dragging the brakes.
If im not mistaken, they usually squeak for a while until they break in, except for ceramic pads.
Old 06-10-2010 | 02:39 PM
Teching In

You paid $50 for someone to change them? I think next time you should spend that $50 on a few tools and learn to do it yourself. Think of all the money you could save. Its not as intimidating as it looks, trust me. I started off changing oil, etc as a teenager and can now pretty much handle most jobs any car could need or that you'd want to do. Only time I take my cars into a shop are for warranty work or something special.
Old 06-10-2010 | 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wanted to do it myself i mean if i fail just put everything back n let someone else do it...and ya im pretty sure my dad has most of the tools i need if it keeps up for a week ill lube it up myself and what do yall recommend as lube lol and dont say KY
Old 06-10-2010 | 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Your probably going to have to bed those pads also, that COULD also be a source of the brake noise.

Quick Reply: Just got some brake pads