Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My car looks like a 4X4 after Moog Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
You cant really cut the top of the spring cuz its only small at the top where it hugs the mount.
Yes, sorry, got my tops and bottoms mixed up!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Emulsifide
What you don't realize is that Moog makes stock parts for damn near every auto company on the face of the planet.....

Again, the springs just need time to settle. Go take the car down a bump dirt road or something that will flex the suspension quite a bit.
that doesn't change the fact that if he gets some springs that have already been on a car, the ride height should go back to what he's expecting immediately.....there's no guarantee that those new springs are going to settle enough for his liking......
Old 06-11-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $150 Summit has 1'' lowering springs for all 4.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyTransAm
really? i feel sorry for ur car if u think thats a good idea
What's wrong with making the suspension move as it was designed to do? I didn't say blast down the damn road and wreck the car. The suspension needs to flex for it to settle completely. Gravity along can't do it quickly enough. Would you feel better if said take it down a bumpy road instead of a dirt road? Whichever, whatever.

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
that doesn't change the fact that if he gets some springs that have already been on a car, the ride height should go back to what he's expecting immediately.....there's no guarantee that those new springs are going to settle enough for his liking......
Agreed, but he's already gone through the trouble of buying the new ones and installing them. Looking at the pictures, it doesn't look that far off from the picture in his signature. I truly believe they will settle back to what he's used to in a short amount of time.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

i have new moogs in the back.........with the heater hose mod......works great
Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depending on how much you've driven the car since the spring install, I agree that the car will probably settle a bit, so don't do anything rash.

One question...did the shocks have an "upper" and "lower" spring cup position? If so, which one did you go with?
Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

im in same boat my front spring was sagging car has 92k miles on it so i got some new moogg springs and mine is 4x43 and its been 3 months on car they still havent settled ive put on about 200 miles since installed... also paid the 150 for em what a rip lol...
Old 06-19-2010, 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Third gen moog springs were the same way.
What type of ride height were you wanting? Springs sag overtime and when you put "new" springs in people can't believe how high the car sits.
Again this has been talked about countless times on the thirdgen.org board.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Depending on how much you've driven the car since the spring install, I agree that the car will probably settle a bit, so don't do anything rash.

One question...did the shocks have an "upper" and "lower" spring cup position? If so, which one did you go with?
Not sure what you are asking, only one way you can install the shocks & or the springs the way the mounts are set up.

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Third gen moog springs were the same way.
What type of ride height were you wanting? Springs sag overtime and when you put "new" springs in people can't believe how high the car sits.
Again this has been talked about countless times on the thirdgen.org board.
Just wanted the same stock ride height that I had. After looking at it more even the rear is higher than before so some of it has to be the shocks are a lil stronger & helping it some. As much as I hate lowered cars I am gonna buy some lowering springs with the lowest drop possible. The car just doesnt look right at all. Maybe the ones Summit sells, theyre only a 1 inch drop. I could get some used springs but I would hate for one to break & have to do it all again. Besides that like I said even the rear is higher.

Originally Posted by Emulsifide
What's wrong with making the suspension move as it was designed to do? I didn't say blast down the damn road and wreck the car. The suspension needs to flex for it to settle completely. Gravity along can't do it quickly enough. Would you feel better if said take it down a bumpy road instead of a dirt road? Whichever, whatever.

Agreed, but he's already gone through the trouble of buying the new ones and installing them. Looking at the pictures, it doesn't look that far off from the picture in his signature. I truly believe they will settle back to what he's used to in a short amount of time.
Its very noticeable even in the pics. It hasnt settled at all & never will with those new springs. Its getting lowering springs very soon.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HAYSTACK
damn......its up there. Did u get the Bilstein HD shocks?
SLPs from WS6 store. They have the best price on them.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Maybe try some BMR springs, I've seen those and they arent a massive drop. Not even 1"
Old 06-20-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Maybe the old BMR springs were about 1 inch but the new ones are around 1.25
Old 06-20-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

....Not sure what you are asking, only one way you can install the shocks & or the springs the way the mounts are set up.

The cup shaped spring mount is retained in place on the shock by a "wire ring" that seats in a groove on the shock body. Some shocks have two of these grooves, to allow for a "standard" or "lower" ride height.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Are you sure those are the correct springs, or did you order Moog cargo springs? Those springs are from planet Moog. I have never seen anything like that on an Fbody before. The little barfing face says it all. You should barf on the springs, they look like F...ing Sh...t. Take the car out behind the garage and shoot it!

Seriously, Moog offers standard and cargo springs. The cargo springs are for beaters that sag in the back. Check it out and see if you were sent the wrong type of spring. Good Luck to you.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just get some strano springs and call it a day... I love my ride height after I put my strano springs on.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rednari
Are you sure those are the correct springs, or did you order Moog cargo springs? Those springs are from planet Moog. I have never seen anything like that on an Fbody before. The little barfing face says it all. You should barf on the springs, they look like F...ing Sh...t. Take the car out behind the garage and shoot it!

Seriously, Moog offers standard and cargo springs. The cargo springs are for beaters that sag in the back. Check it out and see if you were sent the wrong type of spring. Good Luck to you.

You're partially correct...the "Cargo Coils" are just for the rear, so the OP couldn't have put them in the front of his car......at least I hope not!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
For $150 Summit has 1'' lowering springs for all 4.
^^^^^^They are POS relabeled Eibach springs. I would pass....

The new BMR's are a 1.25" drop.

If you only want to go 1" look at Hotchkiss.....
Old 06-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
or you could always just look around some junkyards or on the classifieds for someone selling some actual, stock springs.....
Yeah, they are practically giving away stock springs. I'm sure there is someone in your area with a set of stock springs who will sell them for very cheap or even give them to you to get them out of the garage.

Originally Posted by svendiesel
The problem with cutting them is that it basically changes everything. You have a spring thats designed to travel X amount given its spring rate. Cutting a spring thats meant to hold the car up at say 3 inches then cutting it down an inch, it wont be stiff enough to support the bodys weight.
I totally agree, DO NOT CUT the springs. You will screw up the length of travel and the spring rate. You may get lucky and get it right, but more than likely you might not and get it wrong. If you cut them and they aren't right, you're going to have to change them anyways so why not just get some stock springs and do it once? You have to take them out to cut them so you might as well put the used stock ones in when you do that. With the stock springs, you can do the heater hose mod on the rear and get a little bit of drop. Either way, cutting the springs is just a bad idea all the way around. Why do it half assed when you can do it right for real cheap? Especially if you are okay with stock spring height and ride.

And measuring them every few days to see if they are dropping at all is a really good idea too.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rednari

These are listed on several places online & they are supposed to be stock replacements, not cargo coils. Cargo coils are usually labeled on the box. It does look like I have some cargo springs in the front though

Originally Posted by ThoR294
just get some strano springs and call it a day... I love my ride height after I put my strano springs on.
I have heard nothing but good things about strano springs, I might go that route as long as theyre not a huge drop. Or I might just get some stock used ones, I havent been driving it much & dont want to until I get that front end lowered down some. These cars look better lowered but I dont want to be dragging & scraping everything.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard nothing but good things about strano springs, I might go that route as long as theyre not a huge drop. Or I might just get some stock used ones, I havent been driving it much & dont want to until I get that front end lowered down some. These cars look better lowered but I dont want to be dragging & scraping everything.

thats the height of strano springs. Its perfect if you ask me I do not have any issues bottoming out. and my town is pretty rough. some spots I have to be careful though. Nothing serious though. I always told myself I would never lower my car till I saw my car with strano springs.... lol

Quick Reply: My car looks like a 4X4 after Moog Springs