Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My car looks like a 4X4 after Moog Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My car looks like a 4X4 after Moog Springs

I bought a new set of Bilstein shocks & struts & after doing the rears & getting the fronts off I noticed the spring was broken on the L.F strut. I like the stock ride height so I ordered some Moog stock replacement springs for the front. I got done with it last night & its definitely not stock ride height now. Yep, the front looks like a 4X4 & I am not gonna leave it like that. I am thinking about cutting a section of coil off the bottom of these springs, has anyone done this with good results? I really dont want to buy lowering springs to fix this if I dont have to, just want to get this back to stock ride height in the front. It does ride great though, lol.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give them some time. I'm assuming they're new. If that's the case, they need time to settle.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or you could always just look around some junkyards or on the classifieds for someone selling some actual, stock springs.....
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

just get some all terrain tires and live with it.

but seriously, people swap to aftermarket stuff all the time around here... snag a set of stock springs with some miles on them and you'll be back down to a nice level.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
or you could always just look around some junkyards or on the classifieds for someone selling some actual, stock springs.....
What you don't realize is that Moog makes stock parts for damn near every auto company on the face of the planet.....

Again, the springs just need time to settle. Go take the car down a bump dirt road or something that will flex the suspension quite a bit.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Emulsifide
What you don't realize is that Moog makes stock parts for damn near every auto company on the face of the planet.....

Again, the springs just need time to settle. Go take the car down a bump dirt road or something that will flex the suspension quite a bit.
Right, they shouldve already settled by now. I ran across this thread last night, I think I am just gonna cut some of the coil off the bottom.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ock-mount.html
Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Teching In

The problem with cutting them is that it basically changes everything. You have a spring thats designed to travel X amount given its spring rate. Cutting a spring thats meant to hold the car up at say 3 inches then cutting it down an inch, it wont be stiff enough to support the bodys weight.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by svendiesel
The problem with cutting them is that it basically changes everything. You have a spring thats designed to travel X amount given its spring rate. Cutting a spring thats meant to hold the car up at say 3 inches then cutting it down an inch, it wont be stiff enough to support the bodys weight.
It held it up pretty good when the L.F spring was broke.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Teching In

wow..that is pretty high..

but i agree with the guys saying to just find a set of stockers. i wouldnt cut any coils off
Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
It held it up pretty good when the L.F spring was broke.
What caused it to break?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NJ98SS
wow..that is pretty high..

but i agree with the guys saying to just find a set of stockers. i wouldnt cut any coils off
Hell yea its pretty high, you can compare it with my sig pic & see how it sat before. I might just get some used springs, I just paid $150 for these damn jacked up Moogs though
Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by svendiesel
What caused it to break?
Not sure, sometimes a spring just does that from what I have seen. The ride wasnt noticeably bad before, wanted some Bilsteins as the Decarbons were original & had some miles on them. Just noticed it was broke at the bottom coil when changing the shocks.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Damn! How's the weather up there?! They may just need to be broken in I suppose. I had my engine out for over a year and when I put it back in the car sat an inch higher than it did before.. After about 2 weeks, she settled back down.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:32 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

i have two sets of stock springs for sale if you're interested pm me.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ronsws6
Damn! How's the weather up there?! They may just need to be broken in I suppose. I had my engine out for over a year and when I put it back in the car sat an inch higher than it did before.. After about 2 weeks, she settled back down.
I will wait a week or so, then we will see.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just find some stock springs dude. If they were linear rate springs I would say you are fine to chop off a coil, but (granted I don't know) I would guess they are not seeing as factory springs are almost always progressive rate, which should NOT be cut.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Emulsifide

really? i feel sorry for ur car if u think thats a good idea
Old 06-11-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give them a week or so to settle before you decide what to do next. Measure from the ground to the fender lip on the center line of the wheel now so you have a reference.

Cutting springs is not recommended but if you do - first, do it carefully so you don't heat the spring, second, you want to cut from the top of the spring, not the bottom. Shortening springs increases their spring rate so that will help with the shorter travel. The average that people get is about 1/2" drop for each half of a coil.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Give them a week or so to settle before you decide what to do next. Measure from the ground to the fender lip on the center line of the wheel now so you have a reference.

Cutting springs is not recommended but if you do - first, do it carefully so you don't heat the spring, second, you want to cut from the top of the spring, not the bottom. Shortening springs increases their spring rate so that will help with the shorter travel. The average that people get is about 1/2" drop for each half of a coil.
You cant really cut the top of the spring cuz its only small at the top where it hugs the mount. It might not be recommended but I either do that or buy some used ones or lowering springs. Its not like I can sell these new springs, whos gonna want them when it jacks up the front end that high?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

damn......its up there. Did u get the Bilstein HD shocks?

Quick Reply: My car looks like a 4X4 after Moog Springs