Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Default Shocks

Just bought a set of edlebrock IAS performer shocks. Has any one used them and how did you like them.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should have asked that question before buying those POS shocks. I drove a 96 impala before and after the shocks and it was soft as hell! On the inital turn in on the corners the car would dive like crazy. Now the guy has swaped them out with a nother unknown brand and he likes them much better.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tittan1500
I think you should have asked that question before buying those POS shocks. I drove a 96 impala before and after the shocks and it was soft as hell! On the inital turn in on the corners the car would dive like crazy. Now the guy has swaped them out with a nother unknown brand and he likes them much better.
where they vehicle specific?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had them on my car i thought they were very comparable to bilstein shocks; good shock but not perfect.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I had them on my car i thought they were very comparable to bilstein shocks; good shock but not perfect.
Thanks Blue I did some research and it was these or the KYB's. But research is nothing compared to real world experience. I found that these where supposed to help more with pitch and yaw with stock suspension that's why I went with them and they where a little pricey so I do hope they perform well.

Again thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Shocks have compression and rebound damping. Too bad there's no specs of measurement out there advertised before you buy... if that's possible?

Some are rebound adjustable only.. some have two adjustments for each one.. some adjust both with one ****.. most have a static setting for both.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am not sure I can ask. He said they would firm up when going over bumps but he dident like the inital squish. He was going for firmer ride because his car is a boat.. but he should have added springs if he wanted firm.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Shocks have compression and rebound damping. Too bad there's no specs of measurement out there advertised before you buy... if that's possible?

Some are rebound adjustable only.. some have two adjustments for each one.. some adjust both with one ****.. most have a static setting for both.
Yeah i wish there would be something like that for suspension equipment like shocks. I mean no one buys a performance engine part with out knowing everything yet when you try to research shocks unless you buy fully adjustable shocks then you are up in the air hit and miss on what the real you are going to get with them.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tittan1500
I am not sure I can ask. He said they would firm up when going over bumps but he dident like the inital squish. He was going for firmer ride because his car is a boat.. but he should have added springs if he wanted firm.
Yeah its hard to keep a 4k lbs plus car from feeling like its riding on jello lol. I would have done a spring and shock combo for that beast.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02*C5
Yeah i wish there would be something like that for suspension equipment like shocks. I mean no one buys a performance engine part with out knowing everything yet when you try to research shocks unless you buy fully adjustable shocks then you are up in the air hit and miss on what the real you are going to get with them.

Thanks
It's true. And you have to either go by people's opinions or try them yourself. Most people's opinions are completely random
Old 06-18-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

funny........i find my IAS set to be a bit on the firm side.......wish i could make em softer
Old 06-19-2010, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks
Actually there are...

or rather there can be (or supposed to be depending on who you ask and who is willing to divulge that information). Depending on what product you're choosing, if you extensively research the manufacturers public specifications, they can list dyno charts that show graphs for the ranges for both compression and rebound dampening. Koni has them somewhere, even Bilstein did, but I've never seen them for Edelbrock (at least not yet).

Whilst on that subject, "adjustible shocks" aren't all really the same because depending on design, there can be multiple stages of stroke speeds for either compression and/or rebound as well as discrete selections vs. continuously variable selections of rates (not to mention some manufacturers actually have 4 stroke speeds stages on each stroke along with 99 discrete selections, but that's way overkill for even the highest budget professional teams in many tarmac based sports). Of course, what I mentioned above is dealing with those super expensive professional motorsport shocks that cost several thousands of dollars and most forum members don't need in order to give you and idea of how "adjustibility" isn't simply "adjustibility."

In short, if someone wants serious and complex answers that will help with what really works, then they just need to ask the manufacturer to refer to their dyno charts and other signficant specs. Obviously, knowing what those figures mean helps a whole lot.

Yeah its hard to keep a 4k lbs plus car from feeling like its riding on jello lol. I would have done a spring and shock combo for that beast.
Depends who the engineers/technicians are, but yeah... less GVW is almost always a better foundation to begin with.

Quick Reply: Shocks