Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear-end AREA "Clunking"

Old 06-19-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Rear-end AREA "Clunking"

hey guys... lately i've noticed when driving around through parking lots or whatever going over speed bumps, dips, pot holes, or any uneven ground I get a "clunking" coming from the rear of my car. It's of course more noticeable when driving slow, but I'm sure at higher speeds it's happening, just can't be heard as well. Haven't had a chance to get under it and look yet. Any ideas?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is your suspension setup?

If you pop the hatch and stand behind the car and grab each quarterpanel and move the rear from side to side, and it makes the clunk, it will be your panhard bar. That is the easiest and quickest thing to check first. The bushings in mine went bad and it needed to be replaced.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Had the same problem a few months back, i later went under the car re-tightened my umi lca's and phb voila! problem solved. I'd make sure everything is tightened (torqued) properly just to make sure, you may have the same problem i did.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine does this, I believe I've narrowed it down to the spring isolator. I need to jack up the car and pull the spring to check it, but that's where it seems to be coming from. I can feel it in the spring if someone pushes on the car to make it bounce. So that's something else for you to check.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

My suspension is as follows...

Eibach Pro-Kit
Bilstein HD front/rear shocks/struts
Hotchkiss Hollow Sway bars front and rear
Random Technologies Adj. Torque Arm
Random Technologies non-adj. LCA's
J&M Relocation Brackets

The rest is completely stock... It should also be noted I have not done anything lately to the suspension on this car. The problem seems to have arised randomly...

Last edited by Soul TKR; 06-22-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Like mentioned above! I would suggest checking to see what type of condition the bushings (may need replaced) and hardware (may need tighten or replaced). If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

PHB would be top of the list to check. One day I was driving and while turning and hitting any bump the rear would clunk. It was the bushing on the end of the PHB and it was letting the PHB move, which would let the rear end move. You can get a nice on car adjustable piece from BMR or UMI for around $100-120
Old 06-21-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Wes...something is loose dude, what spring do you have, are you hitting the stops?

We can through your car up on the lift and tighten things up. Next time you're heading south come on by the shop and we'll through it on.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Like mentioned above! I would suggest checking to see what type of condition the bushings (may need replaced) and hardware (may need tighten or replaced). If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
PHB would be top of the list to check. One day I was driving and while turning and hitting any bump the rear would clunk. It was the bushing on the end of the PHB and it was letting the PHB move, which would let the rear end move. You can get a nice on car adjustable piece from BMR or UMI for around $100-120
Thanks for the info guys... I'll definatly take a look at the bushings when I get the chance. Been eyeballing that Double Adjustable Roto-Joint UMI Panhard Bar for a while now. It WILL be the one I get when I get one. Just gotta wait till the $$$ is available. But I'll probably end up getting that along with their 3-point subframe connectors as well... then my suspension setup will pretty much be complete. Not that I'm happy with the current parts I have on there. A few of the parts I have now, I have been contemplating trading them out for more "updated" designed parts... Like my tailshaft mounted torque arm, etc...

Originally Posted by redracer1
Wes...something is loose dude, what spring do you have, are you hitting the stops?

We can through your car up on the lift and tighten things up. Next time you're heading south come on by the shop and we'll through it on.
Thanks Chris! I'll definatly have to take you up on that offer! What lift are you talking about and where's it at?

And OOPS! Forgot to list my lowering sprigs LOL... I have the Eibach Pro-Kit
Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Thanks for considering UMI Performance for your suspension needs! When you are ready for the SFC's and Pan hard bar I am just a email or a call away. And I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks Again
Brad
Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Soul TKR

Thanks Chris! I'll definatly have to take you up on that offer! What lift are you talking about and where's it at?

And OOPS! Forgot to list my lowering sprigs LOL... I have the Eibach Pro-Kit

I've got a lift at work...4 point Manitowoc. All those pics I have are from up on the lift.

I know sometimes you're in SD during the day so bring it by then..I'm in Carlsbad about 2 min from the 5 fwy.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Thanks for considering UMI Performance for your suspension needs! When you are ready for the SFC's and Pan hard bar I am just a email or a call away. And I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks Again
Brad
When's your next Sale/GP?

Originally Posted by redracer1
I've got a lift at work...4 point Manitowoc. All those pics I have are from up on the lift.

I know sometimes you're in SD during the day so bring it by then..I'm in Carlsbad about 2 min from the 5 fwy.
Awesome! Thanks dude! I'll be sure to get ahold of you next time I do that

Last edited by Soul TKR; 06-22-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear-end AREA "Clunking"