Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

7500 series PENSKE double adjustable nitrogen filled shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question 7500 series PENSKE double adjustable nitrogen filled shocks

Out of curiosity, anyone with experience on the 7500 series PENSKE double adjustable nitrogen filled shocks, like in GMMG's Camaro ZL1 SuperCar? Comparison to Koni DAs?

This one used 8700 series...
http://www.superchevy.com/features/c...n/viewall.html

http://gmmginc.net/programs/ZL1/

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 03-11-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added link
Old 06-29-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Supposed to be some really good shocks from what I've read, but Im pretty sure you have to have them custom valved, and they have no warranty as well. Not to mention they are supposed to be really expensive.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you have to take a 2nd mortgage..I have heard sam talk of them before. I think you would have to be serious to buy these. I"m pretty Sam has beat cars with these and him on Konis LOL
Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

A little more than Koni DAs at $393/ea.:
http://www.howeracing.com/p-7663-7500-series-shock.aspx

http://www.penskeshocks.com/Stock_Car-7500_Series.php

http://www.penskeshocks.com/files/75...ies_Manual.pdf

http://www.penskeshocks.com/files/PS...OM_DRAWING.pdf

Here's some details:
Penske racing shocks are the top racing shock in the country. What has made these shocks number one is the fact they are infinitely adjustable. Many professional teams have shock engineers that do nothing but build their racing shocks. A Penske shock allows you to change pistons, oil, shim stacks, and gas pressure to the point you could dial yourself clear out of the ball park. We have worked with the Penske engineer’s and racing teams at the track to develop shock valving that suite the sprint car market. We have established what many have found to be a great starting point or base line.

Single adjustable 7500 series aluminum body shock. Compression valving is 5 on the right front and a 4 on the left front. Allows for the rebound to be adjusted from a 4 to a 4-6.

Left rear rebound can be adjusted from a 3-9 on rebound with compression is a 4 and is cockpit adjustable.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Regular

Obviously they're great shocks but way overkill for most of our applications, even autocross. If you're serious about racing your car go for it, you'd also have to adapt your top shock mounting point but once you did it be much easier to remove the shock to work on.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I've beaten cars (in the same class, for National Championships) with up to TRIPLE Adjustable Penskes with lowly old Koni Sports.

I've had to revalve a number of Penske's on Corvettes because the valving was all jacked up (Penske builds to spec of the buyer, right or wrong). Ironically there are cars out there with 8300 Penske's and basically Koni valving.

And in yet another case... a guy I know and race with who was super competitive decided he'd buy some on his '98 1LE in place of his Koni's. He went from battling me tooth and nail to winning one National event in the next 3 years. I begged him to change shocks back--but couldn't convince him. I know he didn't forget how to drive.... The only change was to the shocks.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Penske is a little overkill for a car that sees the street.. ever.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Penske quality is never in doubt....
But they are certainly a custom order item each set tailored to a specific class,vehicle,driver etc. so unless you have a firm handle on what you are desiring from your shocks(even then it might take some trial and error) I would look at a more proven off the shelf dampener IMO.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Figured I would bump this just in case you are still interested. You keep showing the universal shock in all your links. Penske makes a bolt in 7500 for the F body. No need to make or modify the mounts. I have some in my closet going on in a couple of weeks but I am to lazy to take a pic and link it. If you are still interested I might be able to. But as said they are super spendy. I only bought them because I found an awesome deal and my buddie who is a suspension guy for a racing team is sponsored by Penske. So he is going to help me set them up, they are looking good on the shock dyno so far.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

^ Sure, let's see the photos

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-11-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Here ya go,
Old 05-11-2011, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Looks like a nice setup, but I think the complex setup would negate most of the DIY usage on our cars. JMO
Old 05-11-2011, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96silverram
Looks like a nice setup, but I think the complex setup would negate most of the DIY usage on our cars. JMO
I dont understand? They bolt in exactly like any other replacement shock. Then you just use a standard 2.5" coil spring.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not talking about installations, talking about the complexity to find the right rebound and compression settings. I have a full coil-over setup on my front and rear already. The hardest part is getting the proper settings for rebound and compression. That's all
Old 05-11-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not talking about installations, talking about the complexity to find the right rebound and compression settings. I have a full coil-over setup on my front and rear already. The hardest part is getting the proper settings for rebound and compression. That's all
Likely depends on the shock, and how its valved. Since the QA1s you have are drag shocks they will never feel right for handling, and finding an ideal setting should be pretty hard - either too loose or too jarring stiff right?
Finding the right settings on my konis were really easy for me.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

JDM AMG: Yes, your right, "too jarring, or too loose." It's a hard compromise with a QA1 to have a nice drag shock and also get it to be fairly decent for the street. My explanation in the post above was more an illustration of the complexity of multiple valving/settings that you can potentially have with the Penske. I guess I should have been more direct and simply stated, "Koni's are going to be a much better choice for the money and the ease of setting up." Basically, Sam Strano has it all figured out on the Koni setup

I'm looking into possibly switching out to the Koni's in the future to take full advantage of all my suspension work.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Likely depends on the shock, and how its valved. Since the QA1s you have are drag shocks they will never feel right for handling, and finding an ideal setting should be pretty hard - either too loose or too jarring stiff right?
Finding the right settings on my konis were really easy for me.
AND even if they are off a bit, they still feel better than most other shocks out there... lol
Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Alright, I gotcha. One thing that will be nice after I get these on today is the adjustment is in the top of the shock shaft. I will have to drill a hole in the top of the body in the shock mount but no biggie. Then use a allen wrench to reach in for adjustments. Simple as popping the hood and a quick turn.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Setting them up varies per person and usage. Some people are good at feeling the car and what it's doing and making the adjustments accordingly, while 98% of people cannot feel the adjustments and the shocks are useless for them. For a car that does not get raced wheel to wheel on a road course or is not in competitive auto-x, these are overkill and useless. They should be revalved every couple years (or more) and will not do anything a cheaper Koni can't under normal driving.

My Corvette has custom valved Penske 7500s
My Camaro has out of the box Koni S/A's

Quick Reply: 7500 series PENSKE double adjustable nitrogen filled shocks