Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help! Front too low

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Front too low

I installed a set of Strange shocks and 300 lb springs on the front. They have the adjustments to compress the spring and I had it nearly on the bottom. I know, that is why the front is too low. However, you would have to have arms the size of a cannon to crank that spanner wrench up 2 or 3 inches. Are you supposed to compress the spring before you put it on the shock. And there would be a problem with that, the spring is not a very big diameter so to get the spring compressor on both sides is impossible. Can somebody explain to me what I need to do to raise the front off of the tires. Thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Help please
Old 07-05-2010, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

You can always go to someplace that does shocks like Monroe Muffler, and see what they will charge to compress the springs for you, it may be pretty cheap.

Have them adjust to full height and then you can work it down from there to get your desired height you want, it easier to adjust down than to increase on many adjustable shock/spring combo's.

Just a thought.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 07-05-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

are you trying to adjust them with just 1 wheel off the ground or both?

I use a hammer and screwdriver to adjust my 600# springs and don't have any problems with both wheels off the ground
Old 07-05-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
are you trying to adjust them with just 1 wheel off the ground or both?

I use a hammer and screwdriver to adjust my 600# springs and don't have any problems with both wheels off the ground
Right now one wheel is off the ground. I get it up about an inch and it won't move.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, 300's should be easy to compress.

Spray some WD40, or dry spray lube directly on the spring seat around the base of the spring and on the threads directly above the spring seat threaded collar, that should help reduce the friction on the threads and where the spring seat/spring base meet.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Do you have the optional torrington bearings and spanner wrench? If not I would recommend getting them. It's a real bitch sometimes but if you put some muscle into it you will be able to do it.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same setup and found it quite difficult to adjust them as well. What I did was went over to AutoZone and rented this:

I guess they call it a OEM/Strut Spring Compressor. Came back home, jacked up the front end, pulled off the wheels and then put these onto the spring. I'm pretty sure you can get both of them on. I was able to use the compressors to get the spring compressed enough that I could turn the adjuster by hand with ease. Once the car is jacked up, you should be able to slide the compressors onto the coil without issue. Just try to get as close to the top coil and as close to the bottom coil as possible. Also, remember to keep the side with the nut on the bottom. I used a socket wrench and the job was cake. Go rent the tool, bring it home, get in there and I'm sure you can figure out how to make them work. I'm not that strong, so this saved me a lot of headache. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS125
Right now one wheel is off the ground. I get it up about an inch and it won't move.
it's a lot easier for me if both front wheels are off the ground
Old 07-06-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks alot guys. I did rent the spring compressor like above. Problem with that was the shock inside the spring didn't allow to grab a whole lot of the spring. I do have the spanner wrench and the torrington bearings. I sprayed it with WD-40 and was able to move it up about 3 inches on each side. It was much easier. How high should I go up on the shock, where is a good starting point. Before the way it was, the front air dam was like an inch off the ground. Now after raising it 3 inches, does that mean its going to be 4 inches off the ground? Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

You can put some anti seize compound on there to keep it lubed, and easier to adj. The kit will settle a little after awhile, so don't think where its at now it will stay there.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 07-06-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS125
Thanks alot guys. I did rent the spring compressor like above. Problem with that was the shock inside the spring didn't allow to grab a whole lot of the spring. I do have the spanner wrench and the torrington bearings. I sprayed it with WD-40 and was able to move it up about 3 inches on each side. It was much easier. How high should I go up on the shock, where is a good starting point. Before the way it was, the front air dam was like an inch off the ground. Now after raising it 3 inches, does that mean its going to be 4 inches off the ground? Thanks again.
No, raising the spring seat 1" should raise the ride height 1.7" to 2".
Raising the spring seat 3" should raise the ride height up from 5.1" to 6" higher.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1993 z28 f1
Hey:

You can put some anti seize compound on there to keep it lubed, and easier to adj. The kit will settle a little after awhile, so don't think where its at now it will stay there.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
To keep the threads form collecting dust/dirt use some spray lube that dries, so as not to be a dust/dirt collector!
Old 07-06-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
No, raising the spring seat 1" should raise the ride height 1.7" to 2".
Raising the spring seat 3" should raise the ride height up from 5.1" to 6" higher.
Wow, that high? That means that if the front air dam was 1'' off the ground to begin with, it would be like 7" off the ground now? Does anybody know what the stock ride height is for the front end?
Old 07-06-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Shoot for 27.5" at the front wheel fender lip apex.
I think you can lower the spring seat at least 1".

Quick Reply: Help! Front too low