Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut-Tower Brace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked a guy about the alleged window issue who had a 3pt STB -- said he never had an issue... Never seen any photos of a cracked window from one either -- urban legend? Anyone have this happen to them and have a picture?

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Ask that guy you saw at that car show if his window cracks. That's all the proof you needed before, right?

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-12-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car show? That's where trailer queens go to be rubbed by cloth diapers, right?
Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Well yeah..... but luckily the car had a STB and was therefore MUCH more planted when he missed the highway exit for the show.

You see, he got lost after missing the exit and had to do a whole mess of U-Turns, quick lane changes, sharp highway off-ramps and 90 degree turns.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys keep saying windows... Do you mean windshields (as that is where the problem is supposed to happen)?
Old 08-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^FYI, I saw cracked windshields from three-points 10 years ago. I always just thought someone f@cked up installing it but had heard it can flex the cowl and crack the windshield.

So, YES I SAW cracked windshields but I only HEARD it was from the G's
Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1QXO...layer_embedded
Old 08-25-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes virginia............there is a santa claus....er.......front end chassis flex
Old 08-25-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Should some one other than me point out that a 5th gen is a strut front end car like a 3rd gen, while a 4th gen uses an upper A-Arm?
Old 08-26-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

but the 5th gen is still a uni body as the 4th gen....as the 3rd gen.....so which gen has a stronger uni body?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's not so much about the Unibody structure as it it is how the loading of the upper mount is transfered.

A strut car has it focused on a single point and is a load bearing member of the front suspension. The strut angles inward transfering the load more laterally.

An upper A-Arm car has that loading point moved away from the tower and is more vertical. So the loading is more vertical and less lateral.

Its why a 3rd gen sees huge benefits from an STB and a 4th gen not so much.

And in that video, I saw a lot more vertical movement than lateral. That tells me it's bushing deflection and not so much structure.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

Check out this article about the 5th Gen chassis, for comparison:

http://www.superchevy.com/features/c...ecs/index.html

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
but the 5th gen is still a uni body as the 4th gen....as the 3rd gen.....so which gen has a stronger uni body?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say that my 3rd gen can twist the hood when it hooks hard (no SFC/STB yet). IMO I'd think that the 4th gen is more rigid, BUT they still flex, a lot. Going over big speed bumps you can see and hear the flex in the chassis, especially if you angle it so that all 4 wheels hit the bump separately.

After installing my STB the front still flexes but it is tied together, so it flexes in unison, probably at the rear of the front subframe under the cowl/firewall.

I'd definitely say the STB helps, but the SFC are much more noticeable, especially considering that you SIT over the area that flexes.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

uncle
Old 08-26-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
uncle

Reminds me of a guy I hunt with...couple years back:

"Man, I heard this big 8-point behind me, but I never got a look at it!"

"So, you HEARD an 8-point, but never actually saw it?"

"Yeah!"

"How the flying f*ck do you HEAR the difference between a spike, and 8-point, and a doe?"

"Oh man, I've been hunting so long, I can tell!"
Old 08-26-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by $750 L98
IMO I'd think that the 4th gen is more rigid, BUT they still flex, a lot. Going over big speed bumps you can see and hear the flex in the chassis, especially if you angle it so that all 4 wheels hit the bump separately.
Sounds like you are on factory shocks...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

especially considering that you SIT over the area that flexes.
I think your confusing the car with a hammock
Old 09-10-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Element

Reminds me of a guy I hunt with...couple years back:

"Man, I heard this big 8-point behind me, but I never got a look at it!"

"So, you HEARD an 8-point, but never actually saw it?"

"Yeah!"

"How the flying f*ck do you HEAR the difference between a spike, and 8-point, and a doe?"

"Oh man, I've been hunting so long, I can tell!"

Watch the hood/fender alignment going over the bumps, and yes you can hear the chassis twist. How much? Probably not that much, but enough to make SFC/STB worth it to enough people to keep the vendors in business...

But I suppose since some people think the stock suspension is sufficient for 500rwhp cars and hard launches that makes it so?

I've got a torque arm and pan hard bar that disagree, and that car ran under 400rwhp.

Anyhow, being otherwise stock suspension, the addition of SFC/STB made a marked difference. Now, had I started with other tubular suspension pieces/mods first I probably wouldn't have noticed a difference.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Watch the hood/fender alignment going over the bumps, and yes you can hear the chassis twist. How much? Probably not that much, but enough to make SFC/STB worth it to enough people to keep the vendors in business...

But I suppose since some people think the stock suspension is sufficient for 500rwhp cars and hard launches that makes it so?

I've got a torque arm and pan hard bar that disagree, and that car ran under 400rwhp.

Anyhow, being otherwise stock suspension, the addition of SFC/STB made a marked difference. Now, had I started with other tubular suspension pieces/mods first I probably wouldn't have noticed a difference.
Weird, my hood and fenders stay lined up even when I nail corners as hard as I can, and I don't "hear" anything twisting, and it was like that before the SFCs.

Fake turbo whistles are popular enough to keep those vendors in business, too. Don't confuse popularity with validity.

If you want to think your STB made a difference, go for it. I'd bet $50 I could yank it out, not tell you, and you wouldn't know it wasn't there the next time you drove your car.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I certainly hope you aren't paying attention to your hood alignment while hitting turns as hard as you can. I also hope comparing turbo whistles to frame/suspension reinforcement was a joke. You can't stray much further from a apples to apples comparison.

Popularity and validity, so you have factual proof that STB does nothing to brace the front end, or suspension? Because you know, even if it didn't do a damn thing, it never hurts to brace the suspension and frame of a car.

But I mean hey, there has never been a car that twisted the chassis, broke a weld from hard cornering and stress, put dimples in the quarters, or a car that ended up with stress fractures in fiberglass. Couldn't possibly be.

I'd bet you $50 bucks I could yank out a 9", pop in the stock 10 and they wouldn't know till it blew.

But I'd also bet you $50 bucks you'd argue fake turbo whistles to reinforcement 'til you were blue in the face.

I'll take the extra insurance until some one comes up with scientific data that disputes the "validity" of a STB.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I certainly hope you aren't paying attention to your hood alignment while hitting turns as hard as you can. I also hope comparing turbo whistles to frame/suspension reinforcement was a joke. You can't stray much further from a apples to apples comparison.

Popularity and validity, so you have factual proof that STB does nothing to brace the front end, or suspension? Because you know, even if it didn't do a damn thing, it never hurts to brace the suspension and frame of a car.

But I mean hey, there has never been a car that twisted the chassis, broke a weld from hard cornering and stress, put dimples in the quarters, or a car that ended up with stress fractures in fiberglass. Couldn't possibly be.

I'd bet you $50 bucks I could yank out a 9", pop in the stock 10 and they wouldn't know till it blew.

But I'd also bet you $50 bucks you'd argue fake turbo whistles to reinforcement 'til you were blue in the face.

I'll take the extra insurance until some one comes up with scientific data that disputes the "validity" of a STB.
Interstate on-ramps aren't exactly hard to run through, and since I'm already looking right over the hood and fender anyway...

It's a perfectly valid comparison. You're claiming that market demand is sufficient to overwhelm lack of objective data on whether something works as a determining factor when deciding whether something is a valid product to use or not. Just because there's a demand for something doesn't mean it actually does anything, hence the analogy.

Do you have any objective data that a STB does brace the front of the car? We can welt tube braces all over these cars and claim it "never hurts to have extra reinforcement" without ever bothering to first find out if we need that extra reinforcement, using your argument, but we end up with a lot of extra weight doing nothing for the car, without ever actually knowing if it's doing anything at all.

If we're going to call bullshit on analogies, I'll do it with yours. An axle is an axle; they all work rather the same, mechanically, and while one might be stronger than the other, they fulfill the same function. A STB, however, is a non-replacement additional part that doesn't increase the mechanical strength or function of the car. A simpler way to put it - a 10-bolt is like a kidney, a vital organ you never notice until it goes bad, then you can't ignore it. A STB is like a beard - it's visual, and doesn't affect the function of anything, and since it doesn't do anything, you'll see it's not there, but functionally, nothing changes.

Quick Reply: Strut-Tower Brace?