Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Good poly trans mount? Which

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good poly trans mount? Which

Anyone in particular? Mechanic said to ditch the metal piece on most poly trans mounts unless i like my fillings falling out?

i've got 70K miles and i figure its bout time since my pacesetter ory is giving some issues banging.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the metal plate that comes w/ most poly mounts is called a "pre-load" plate. the poly mount w/ pre-load plate will be taller than stock. thats why you dont install it.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

so which mount do i want? I need one for an A4 right?
Old 01-18-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ALL GM trans mounts from like the mid 60's are the same for both manual and autos. i think this is for rear wheel drive V-8's only.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

so the prothane jobbies are fine? I just dont wanna waste time/$$ on the wrong shiz eh.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pick the brand you like. i run E/S trans mounts, and prothane motor mounts.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

So, whats wrong with your stock rubber bushing?? did ya break it??
Old 01-20-2004, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

If using an ES mount:
Don't ditch the preload plate
Grind the preload bump flat on the POLY mount itself
Use some 1/4 inch washers to space out the trans crossmember

You'll only get minor vibes around 2k RPM this way

You'll have the exact same problems with the PROTHANE from what I hear. I amm only giving instruction on the ES mount because that is what I have installed on my T/A.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would not use the preload plate at all. compair the stock and E/S mounts side by side. you will see the difference. dont cut the bumps either. i did on my first one, and it ended up splitting in half. the cuts cause stress risers and the rubber will tear @ those points. the bumps will compress when you tighten up the mount. also there is no difference w/ the E/S mount sitting on the preload plate or the stock crossmember (other than its too tall w/ the preload plate). they are both metal surface's. i have been running E/S trans mounts on a road course for over 3 years @ very high speeds (like 145 MPH every lap -2 minute laps- for 20 minute sessions @ a time w/ 10 sessions a weekend) and i have ZERO vibration issues. my car make 450 RWHP/422 RWTQ. do what you feel is right, but dont blame E/S when your not happy w/ the results.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

thanks i have ordered the ES mount from tbyrne and hope it helps with my pacesetter issue. I'm not betting it will help much, but after 70K miles i can imagine the stocker is probably getting a little crusty. The guy that tuned my car said the same thing. Something about filling falling out if you use the metal preload plate.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Glenn98ZM6
i would not use the preload plate at all. compair the stock and E/S mounts side by side. you will see the difference. dont cut the bumps either. i did on my first one, and it ended up splitting in half. the cuts cause stress risers and the rubber will tear @ those points..

Use a grinding wheel. I did this and so have others. We have experienced no splitting.The ES mount is Polyurethane not rubber

the bumps will compress when you tighten up the mount. also there is no difference w/ the E/S mount sitting on the preload plate or the stock crossmember (other than its too tall w/ the preload plate). they are both metal surface's.

Except that the trans case is aluminum. The preload plate serves as a "washer" of sorts in this application. It helps evenly distribute the pressure coming from the tabs on the mount. Don't use it and you are putting all the bolts clamping force on the two metal tabs of the mount and possibly driving them into the softer aluminum.

i have been running E/S trans mounts on a road course for over 3 years @ very high speeds (like 145 MPH every lap -2 minute laps- for 20 minute sessions @ a time w/ 10 sessions a weekend) and i have ZERO vibration issues. my car make 450 RWHP/422 RWTQ. do what you feel is right, but dont blame E/S when your not happy w/ the results.

Quick Reply: Good poly trans mount? Which