Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear end centering question???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end centering question???

Ok I hit the Kirb pretty bad couples months ago long story short I bent my rear axle I changed it with my other one that I had laying around, now i can't figure out why my dam passenger rear wheel sticks out 1 inch an half more then the driverside. People are saying maybe u pushed the rear end in a tad from when I hit the kirb, should I get a adj panhard bar to repostion my rear end? Could that work, or should I take it to a frame shop and see what they can see? Weird thing is if I did bend somthing wouldn't I notice tire wear? but there isn't any tire wear? What u guys think I should do? Please help thank you
Old 07-12-2010, 04:19 AM
On The Tree

if you fucked up ur rear axle, chances are you bent ur phb. get a new one.

and its "curb". not "kirb".
Old 07-12-2010, 04:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Adj. Or double adj. ???
Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Like mentioned above it sounds like you will need to get a adjustable pan hard bar. Now it doesn't matter if you go with single of double. But when looking into purchasing a pan-hard bar I would suggest thinking about easy adjust-ability such as going with something along the lines of a on car adjustable bar. So when you need to make the adjustments all you do is jack the car up and loosen the jam nuts and adjust the bar. And then put the car on the ground to see how centered the rear is. And once its centered tighten the jam nuts back up (simple as that). Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...0egkmjdougsl64

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-12-2010, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Did you measure the original rear end? It could have been the same way. Mine was just like that before I got an adjustable panhard bar. From what I've read its fairly normal on these cars.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now when u got the pan hard bar it centered your rear end?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Yes, the panhard bar locates the rear axle side to side, so an adjustable will allow you to center it.

After hitting something hard enough to bend an axle you should probably check for other damage as well though.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

my prob is i got no cars i can compare too to see if anything is`bent or damaged
Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Teching In

I just installed one this weekend and it was pretty easy. The instructions said to drop a plumb line from the fender lip and measure to the tire. I didn't have the tires on since I couldn't get at the adjustment nuts with them on so I measured to the rotor and then rechecked with the tires on. I had the front tires on blocks and the back axle on the a floor jack so the body could move around on the PHR. I double checked after I had it all back on the ground and it was right on.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pats Fan
I just installed one this weekend and it was pretty easy. The instructions said to drop a plumb line from the fender lip and measure to the tire. I didn't have the tires on since I couldn't get at the adjustment nuts with them on so I measured to the rotor and then rechecked with the tires on. I had the front tires on blocks and the back axle on the a floor jack so the body could move around on the PHR. I double checked after I had it all back on the ground and it was right on.
That is the easiest and correct way to do it. As long as the suspension is loaded, you can use any common measuring point to reference from. Another way is to back the car up onto ramps. It is an easy installation that can be performed with simple tools.

(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like was stated, on-car adjustables are GREAT!! I have a single adjustable on one of our cars, and an on car on the other.

With the on-car, you can just loosen the lock nuts, and adjust it, but on the single adjustables you have to unbolt the adjustment end, drop it down, adjust it and bolt it back it, then measure and repeat if necasary. It sounds like alot, but if you think about it, youll probably do it once and leave it.